Where sell used CDs in PA, NY, or NJ?

Started by Mr. Darcy, January 28, 2013, 08:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Darcy

Hey All,

I've been a GMG fan for many, many years and posted under several profiles, but have been away for awhile. Anyhow, it's good to be back. I just moved—again—and now that I live near civilization, it's finally time to unload these boxes and boxes of CDs... So, my question is, where is the best place to sell my CDs in bulk in PA, NY, and/or NJ? Obviously, I'd like to get as much as possible for my collection. Any idea what I can expect per disc from a buyer like Academy in NYC, or Prex in NJ?

I had been selling some of my collection piecemeal on Amazon with some success, but all the product input and packaging, etc., has become quite cumbersome. I think I have around 1000 CDs or so I'm looking to unload, mostly classical, but also classic rock/pop and other stuff as well. Any suggestions or recommendations? I guess I'm trying to balance my time and energy with the value of this collection. I might get more per CD on Amazon, but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of $ just to get this over with. It's a painful and emotional process and, at this point, should probablly be done like a band-aid...

Thanks!

springrite

John (Mirror Image) has pledged to buy CDs only twice this year. Maybe he can buy your whole collection and it counts as one purchase.

Don't some of our CDCDCDCD sufferers live near your new location?
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mr. Darcy on January 28, 2013, 08:22:03 AM
Hey All,

I've been a GMG fan for many, many years and posted under several profiles, but have been away for awhile. Anyhow, it's good to be back. I just moved—again—and now that I live near civilization, it's finally time to unload these boxes and boxes of CDs... So, my question is, where is the best place to sell my CDs in bulk in PA, NY, and/or NJ? Obviously, I'd like to get as much as possible for my collection. Any idea what I can expect per disc from a buyer like Academy in NYC, or Prex in NJ?

I had been selling some of my collection piecemeal on Amazon with some success, but all the product input and packaging, etc., has become quite cumbersome. I think I have around 1000 CDs or so I'm looking to unload, mostly classical, but also classic rock/pop and other stuff as well. Any suggestions or recommendations? I guess I'm trying to balance my time and energy with the value of this collection. I might get more per CD on Amazon, but I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of $ just to get this over with. It's a painful and emotional process and, at this point, should probablly be done like a band-aid...

Thanks!

My friends and I used to call it PRE;D one of the things I miss the most about living in Princeton. This is the only place I know about, and one sentence into your post it popped in my mind, but it seems you are already aware.

SonicMan46

Hello - I live in North Carolina and have used PREX for many years (I like to cull a LOT!), and probably mail them 2-3 packages/year, typically 100+ CDs - as you already likely know, there is not a fortune to be made in this used market - for my classical CDs, I usually get an offer of $2+ and about half or so for the non-classical ones; my shipping to them is paid.  :)

Mr. Darcy

Thanks for the input, y'all. I'll probably just bring my CDs directly to Princeton Record Exchange. I was at Academy in NYC last weekend and, while I've always enjoyed the shop, it just seemed like something was different. Maybe it was the back-and-forth and across-the-shop cursing by the staff (It made me think they'd look at my CDs and say, "Yeah, this collection is a pile of s$&t. Get out of my shop!"). Or maybe that's just NYC and I need to lighten up...