Beethoven Violin Sonatas

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 11, 2007, 05:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Another major reissue alert:

Decca/Philips is finally reissuing the classic Grumiaux/Haskil set of Beethoven violin sonatas!

I believe these same recordings just recently turned up on Brilliant but transfer-wise I'm betting on Decca.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

SonicMan46

Own Grumiaux in so many recordings, but not this one - would likely still love the performances!  :)

My current collections of these works are:

Perlman & Ashkenazy  & The Franks - both superb offerings (got the Franks @ a bargin!) -  :D

George

Quote from: donwyn on April 11, 2007, 05:23:40 PM
Another major reissue alert:

Decca/Philips is finally reissuing the classic Grumiaux/Haskill set of Beethoven violin sonatas!

I believe these same recordings just recently turned up on Brilliant but transfer-wise I'm betting on Decca.

Would be nice if they show up in one of those trio sets for bargain price!  :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: George on April 11, 2007, 06:39:41 PM
Would be nice if they show up in one of those trio sets for bargain price!  :)

That's a thought!

I vote budget, too.

Let's hope!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Holden

I'll be getting this. I'll see if it's available in Perth when I get there.
Cheers

Holden

val

Grumiaux/KHaskil is my preferred version of the 10 Sonatas. But, Francescatti/Casadesus are not very far, and in some cases even preferable: the 7th, the 9th, the 10th.

Todd

It's too bad Decca didn't just reissue the Mozart Violin Sonatas at the same time.  Perhaps a Double Decca will be forthcoming.  Better just to have the 90s Clara Haskil The Legacy set I say; that way you get it all.  The sound for the LvB Violin Sonatas ain't the greatest, but the set is one of the better ones out there.  Good to see it back in circulation.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Don

I'm embarking on an extensive review of recordings of the Beethoven Violin Sonatas and don't want to exclude any discs that have strong advocates.  I am particularly interested in your opinions of discs that are outside the mainstream of popularity such as the new complete set on the Claves label.

Gurn Blanston

Don,
I take it Kremer/Argerich will be on your agenda?

How about any HIP sets? Or just modern instruments? I'll look up that Claves set to see who you are talking about... :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

MishaK

Quote from: Don on April 17, 2007, 03:33:02 PM
I'm embarking on an extensive review of recordings of the Beethoven Violin Sonatas and don't want to exclude any discs that have strong advocates.  I am particularly interested in your opinions of discs that are outside the mainstream of popularity such as the new complete set on the Claves label.

Who's playing on the Claves set?

Don

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 17, 2007, 03:47:08 PM
Don,
I take it Kremer/Argerich will be on your agenda?

How about any HIP sets? Or just modern instruments? I'll look up that Claves set to see who you are talking about... :-\

8)

Definitely Kremer/Argerich and the other highly touted sets.  Playing on the Claves set are pianist Paavali Jumppanen and violinist Corey Cerovsek.  I've read a couple of reviews of this set that are highly favorable.

Don

Concerning HIP sets, are there any?

SonicMan46

Don - just have two complete sets: Perlman & Ashkenazy and the Franks, father & daughter team - I think the latter is just a great bargin & well performed; of course, modern instruments - would be interested in HIP performances (if the exist?) - looking forward to more recommendations and your comments - Dave  :)

George

Quote from: Don on April 17, 2007, 04:26:08 PM
Concerning HIP sets, are there any?

Paging Mr. Que..............Mr. Que, there is a telephone call for you....................Mr. Que?

Dancing Divertimentian

Grumiaux/Haskil.

A great set that up 'till now has been very rare on disc.

Bogey

Are you interested in only complete cycles Don?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

dirkronk

If this is to be a serious survey, I think we can assume that the following will be studied:
Grumiaux/Haskil
Francescatti/Casadesus
Kremer/Argerich
Schneiderhan/Kempff
Perlman/Ashkenazy
Oistrakh/Oborin
Menuhin/Kempff
Suk/Panenka
Szigeti/Arrau (and Szigeti's Kreutzer with Bartok)
Frank/Frank*
Kreisler/Rupp (and the individual sonatas with Rachmaninoff)
Heifetz/Bay or Smith
Stern/Istomin*
Rosand/Flissler*
Mutter/Orkis*
Szeryng/Haebler*

And the incomplete cycles or interesting single examples from
Busch/Serkin
Szeryng/Rubinstein
Milstein/Balsam or Firkusny
Kagan/Richter*
Morini/Firkusny
Ferras/Barbizet

Not to mention the HIP stuff, since several have already been mentioned.

(* Haven't heard these myself and will await comment eagerly.)

FWIW, my personal faves among complete cycles are the first four in my list. But hey, don't let that influence you.
;D

Of course, if it turns into a Todd-esque survey, my list will seem like a mere appetizer.
;)

Dirk

Don

Quote from: Bill on April 17, 2007, 07:22:15 PM
Are you interested in only complete cycles Don?

No, but mixed discs are not included.

Robert

Quote from: Don on April 17, 2007, 08:12:24 PM
No, but mixed discs are not included.

Don

Are you purchasing all the discs ::)

Bogey

This is one that is on my wish-list that Dirk mentioned:
Busch/Serkin

Another would be, which I have not heard:
Fritz Kreisler/Franz Rupp
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz