Beethoven Violin Sonatas

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, April 11, 2007, 05:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: George on May 07, 2021, 05:34:30 AM
Hi premont,

I have heard the Philips CD issue of this set, along with a later remaster on Decca. On both, the sound is as you describe, with a distant piano in the background. The Philips is a brighter mastering, resulting in a better piano image and more piano tone, though a bit shrill at times. The Decca attempts to clean the top end, resulting in a duller overall sound, with the piano sounding even further away. 

I really wish the major labels had never remastered in this way, removing tape hiss (along with piano tone) as if it were a mortal sin. EMI is probably the biggest offender in this.

Hi George

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds as if the Philips CD release is much similar to the LPs.

A label which very often succeds in minimizing tape hiss and other noises to an acceptable level from old LPs without harming (and often improving) the original sound picture is Forgotten Records. They might be able to do a better release of these Philips LPs.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

staxomega

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 07, 2021, 09:10:34 AM
Hi George

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds as if the Philips CD release is much similar to the LPs.

A label which very often succeds in minimizing tape hiss and other noises to an acceptable level from old LPs without harming (and often improving) the original sound picture is Forgotten Records. They might be able to do a better release of these Philips LPs.

There is noise reduction on the original Philips 3 CD set which I've verified by listening and comparing level matched. Just personal preference for wanting realism in the midrange/treble over more palatable dulling and boxing in of the sound. 

I have to imagine your LPs sound better as these Philips LPs usually sound pretty good given the limitations of the recording. For me, being digital only unless I can find LPs locally (too many unscrupulous sellers online) the best sound is on the recent Grumiaux Complete Philips box.

Photo of the original Philips 3 CD set:

Que

That No-Noise symbol is the kiss of death in my book... ::)

They should call their little gimmick No-Music!  :P

George

Quote from: Que on May 13, 2021, 11:00:22 AM
That No-Noise symbol is the kiss of death in my book... ::)

They should call their little gimmick No-Music!  :P

No kidding!  :(
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

George

Now enjoying a second spin of this set. Performances are superb, sound is impeccable. By far, my favorite set of the Beethoven violin sonatas.

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Jo498

The packaging is probably the worst thing about Cerovsek/Jumppanen and this is worse in the original issue of Faust/Melnikov...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Daverz

Quote from: j winter on November 27, 2019, 08:07:01 AM
And just in case anyone missed it, this is now back in print, and very cheaply too....

Does the Profil sound better than the last Sony transfers?

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SonicMan46

Quote from: George on November 06, 2021, 11:50:12 AM

Now enjoying a second spin of this set. Performances are superb, sound is impeccable. By far, my favorite set of the Beethoven violin sonatas.

Quote from: Jo498 on November 06, 2021, 12:16:19 PM
The packaging is probably the worst thing about Cerovsek/Jumppanen and this is worse in the original issue of Faust/Melnikov...

Of the 3 sets of these works in my collection (and several culled out in the past), I'd have to agree w/ George - but the packaging is terrible, I think in part related to the size (in length) of the booklet - would nicely have fit into a double jewel box which would have allowed for a lengthy booklet.  Dave :)

Todd

Quote from: George on November 06, 2021, 11:50:12 AM

Best digital era cycle.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Daverz

I'll put in a word for Barati/Wurtz on Brilliant Classics:

The balance between violin and piano is "natural", so the violin sounds a bit subdued after listening to Francescatti.  But I think this is closer to the intended balance.

Pohjolas Daughter

Any fans here of Ilina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghian?  I have their first two releases and enjoy them.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 07, 2021, 08:16:29 AM
Any fans here of Ilina Ibragimova and Cedric Tiberghian?  I have their first two releases and enjoy them.

PD

Hey PD - now that does piqued my interest - just purchased 5 double-disc volumes of their Mozart works from BRO for $9 each - looking at the link their Beethoven collaboration CDs are not there at the moment.  These are live recordings from Wigmore Hall, so hope the audience is completely silent?  Spotify has all 3 discs - just made a playlist and will listen soon.  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 07, 2021, 09:00:07 AM
Hey PD - now that does piqued my interest - just purchased 5 double-disc volumes of their Mozart works from BRO for $9 each - looking at the link their Beethoven collaboration CDs are not there at the moment.  These are live recordings from Wigmore Hall, so hope the audience is completely silent?  Spotify has all 3 discs - just made a playlist and will listen soon.  Dave :)
Dave, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.   :) By the way, may I ask, how do you imbed(?) a link in a word?  Like you did with BRO?  I've tried to figure it out and to google it but no luck!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 07, 2021, 09:16:37 AM
Dave, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.   :) By the way, may I ask, how do you imbed(?) a link in a word?  Like you did with BRO?  I've tried to figure it out and to google it but no luck!

PD

Easy once you've done it a few times - use the hyperlink icon (see pic below) - you can either type the 'text' desired, highlight it, and then click the icon; or you can click the icon first, then between the brackets insert your 'text reference, e.g. BRO - NOW, within the left URL bracket (had to type bracket), simply put an = sign, i.e. url= and type in the correct URL (careful about spaces) - Dave :)

(bracket)url=copy the link here]desired text here(/bracket)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 07, 2021, 09:54:03 AM
Easy once you've done it a few times - use the hyperlink icon (see pic below) - you can either type the 'text' desired, highlight it, and then click the icon; or you can click the icon first, then between the brackets insert your 'text reference, e.g. BRO - NOW, within the left URL bracket (had to type bracket), simply put an = sign, i.e. url= and type in the correct URL (careful about spaces) - Dave :)

(bracket)url=copy the link here]desired text here(/bracket)

Experiment:

BRO  Hey!  I think that I did it, though I had clicked on the change color to red?  Perhaps that's the default color (blue)?  And thanks!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SonicMan46

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 07, 2021, 10:33:36 AM
Experiment:

BRO  Hey!  I think that I did it, though I had clicked on the change color to red?  Perhaps that's the default color (blue)?  And thanks!  :)

PD

Congrats!  8)  I never have added more inside the brackets except the URL - I rearranged your 'red color' by putting the color tags between BRO - now the link is in red, as above.  Dave :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 07, 2021, 10:46:12 AM
Congrats!  8)  I never have added more inside the brackets except the URL - I rearranged your 'red color' by putting the color tags between BRO - now the link is in red, as above.  Dave :)
Thanks, I just tried it above (after clicking on modify) to try it myself.  Appreciate your help!  8) :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

staxomega

Quote from: Daverz on November 06, 2021, 12:28:40 PM
Does the Profil sound better than the last Sony transfers?

I would be surprised if they did. Historical Hanssler/Profil reissues often used noise reduction and they wouldn't have access to Sony's tapes. The box set you pictured sounds very good [edit]
A bit annoying that those were left off the 60+ disc Sony Casadesus box, one of my favorite pianist boxes in the last few years.

Jo498

FWIW there was a 3 CD box of all the sonatas with Francescatti/Casadesus from Sony France 2001 and they are all in stereo. As 2-8 were all recorded 1961 it should be strange to have two of them not in stereo? Or is this an alternative recording of sonatas 5+6?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal