Beethoven Symphonies Cycle: Which is your #1 pick?

Started by stateworker, January 30, 2013, 05:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daverz

Quote from: jeffnc on June 16, 2013, 05:03:04 AM
(no hissy mono recordings for me no matter how historically great.)

That's sad.

I don't understand complaints about hiss on analog recordings.  It's never been an issue for me.  People must have overly bright sound systems.  Or maybe it's tinny computer speakers.

George

Quote from: Daverz on September 13, 2013, 09:15:33 AM
That's sad.

I don't understand complaints about hiss on analog recordings.  It's never been an issue for me.  People must have overly bright sound systems.  Or maybe it's tinny computer speakers.

The hiss was the first thing I noticed (and didn't like) when I started listening to classical recordings, but I quickly got used to it.

I have since learned that you can't remove the hiss without dulling the overall sound.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

kishnevi

Quote from: Daverz on September 13, 2013, 09:15:33 AM
That's sad.

I think it depends on when the original recording was made.  For me,  almost everything recorded before 1950 (a very approximate date) is too "hissy" to be interesting as anything other than its historical interest.    For whatever reason,  recordings in the '50s (and a couple in the late 40s) seem to have overcome that problem, and while the sonics may seem dull on some of them,  a number of mono recordings from the late 50s actually sound better to me than some early stereo recordings.

Daverz

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on September 13, 2013, 09:22:22 AM
I think it depends on when the original recording was made.  For me,  almost everything recorded before 1950 (a very approximate date) is too "hissy" to be interesting as anything other than its historical interest.    For whatever reason,  recordings in the '50s (and a couple in the late 40s) seem to have overcome that problem, and while the sonics may seem dull on some of them,  a number of mono recordings from the late 50s actually sound better to me than some early stereo recordings.

There were improvements in recording techniques just before tape came in.  About 1944 on, I think.

I admit that I don't listen to pre-1950 stuff that often.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Is anyone else a fan of Haitink's LSO cycle? I got it because it fit what I was looking for (modern orchestra with some light HIP influence), and because of the SACD potential. I lost interest in the SACD part, but I still have and like the set.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

xochitl

if im in the mood for big-band beethoven without frills, with good speeds and great sound, exactingly executed: haitink hits the spot more than pretty much anyone [including vanska and dohnanyi]

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: xochitl on September 13, 2013, 03:15:28 PM
if im in the mood for big-band beethoven without frills, with good speeds and great sound, exactingly executed: haitink hits the spot more than pretty much anyone [including vanska and dohnanyi]

Yeah. I think he's best in 4, 5, 7, and 8, but it's a good, consistent set throughout.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

DavidW

Quote from: Velimir on September 13, 2013, 12:35:37 PM
Is anyone else a fan of Haitink's LSO cycle? I got it because it fit what I was looking for (modern orchestra with some light HIP influence), and because of the SACD potential. I lost interest in the SACD part, but I still have and like the set.

Yes but I prefer Vanska.

Bogey

Quote from: Cascade on June 13, 2013, 03:37:35 PM
Karajan/Berliner '62
Dohnányi/Cleveland (Telarc)
Hogwood/AAM

I am missing some of the Dohnányi, but I would be set with these three cycles as well....then it is cherry picking time! ;)
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Karl Henning

What is the consensus on the Hanover Band?  I see that the set of 9 symphonies is a cheap mp3 download . . . but I want opinions!

(I have an idea I may have heard a couple of these way back at the dawn of the compact disc era . . . but I may be mistaken.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Quote from: xochitl on September 13, 2013, 03:15:28 PM

I'm very fond of Blomstedt's Dresden set for "no frills" Beethoven.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Daverz on October 22, 2013, 04:37:07 AM
I'm very fond of Blomstedt's Dresden set for "no frills" Beethoven.

Yes that is terrific. 

The ones that xochitl mention are faster in tempo than the traditional performances (Blomstedt is middle of the road).  Kind of made his comment uninterpretable" what constitutes "good tempo"  for him?  I don't know, but based on what he likes I'm guessing he won't like Blomstedt, which is too bad.

Karl Henning

Quote from: DavidW on September 14, 2013, 06:27:02 AM

Quote from: Velimir on September 13, 2013, 12:35:37 PM

Yes but I prefer Vanska.

Thanks, gents . . . I've been enjoying the samples of the Haitink/LSO set.

That said, when I saw how cheap the Immerseel is, I pulled the trigger on that one immediately.  (I know: no reason not to enjoy both!)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Digital download Karl?  The Haitink set is cheap too (as a dd) but not as cheap as Immerseel.

Karl Henning

Aye . . . and heck, the Blomstedt/Dresden set is as cheap as the Immerseel.  This would be one heck of an atypical day if I buy multiple LvB symphony sets  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

George

George

Quote from: karlhenning on October 22, 2013, 05:35:44 AM
Aye . . . and heck, the Blomstedt/Dresden set is as cheap as the Immerseel.  This would be one heck of an atypical day if I buy multiple LvB symphony sets  :)

Indeed. I had to check your avatar twice to make sure it was really you.

Brian

Quote from: karlhenning on October 22, 2013, 05:35:44 AM
Those are just about as opposite as cycles get!

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on October 22, 2013, 06:24:26 AM
Dooooonnnttt yyyyoouuuuu mmeeeaaaannnn thhhhhaannnnnnkkkkk yoooouuuuuu?

Why am I thinking Mrs Whatsit?  :)

There's no really good reason why I listen to LvB as infrequently as I do . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA