Beethoven Symphonies Cycle: Which is your #1 pick?

Started by stateworker, January 30, 2013, 05:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Scarpia on October 23, 2013, 09:02:52 AM
I've been reading outsized praise for Chailly's 'groundbreaking' approach to these works, but when I listen to samples they sound like Toscanini in good sound, nothing particularly new.  Of course, samples are just samples.

It has been a few years since I listened to the Toscanini recordings (in part because of the sound),  but  I don't remember them being similar in approach to the Chailly.  Chailly is very good at bringing out the "dark side", or the emotional undertow more precisely, of the symphonies, and I'm not sure samples would do it justice.  I don't remember which streaming service you use--but can you use it to listen to one of his recordings of a full symphony? Or at least a few movement in toto?  That would get you better idea of what he produces.

Carnivorous Sheep

It depends on which samples you listened to. I think Chailly is good to fantastic in 1, 2, 4, 7, 8, but misses the mark with 3 and 9, and has a forgettable 5.

The 8 is the highlight of the cycle for me personally.
Baa?

xochitl

i almost totally dismissed chailly when it came out [apart from the 8th], but re-listened to the whole cycle a few weeks ago and it's won me over.  still think it's overrated as some sort of 'magical reference modern recording', but it's really solid, detailed, breathtakingly played, and fast as all hell. so it's missing the deeper aspects of the music...oh well.

Karl Henning

Well, and what if those are Beethoven's markings?  Does the composer himself "miss the deeper aspects of the music"?  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

not edward

I'm no expert at all, but as far as "big band" Beethoven goes, I have been greatly enjoying the CzPO/Kletzki set recently. The 7th and 8th seem particularly fine to me.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

xochitl

Quote from: karlhenning on October 29, 2013, 05:15:16 AM
Well, and what if those are Beethoven's markings?  Does the composer himself "miss the deeper aspects of the music"?  0:)
:-\

Carnivorous Sheep

Quote from: edward on October 29, 2013, 05:25:33 AM
I'm no expert at all, but as far as "big band" Beethoven goes, I have been greatly enjoying the CzPO/Kletzki set recently. The 7th and 8th seem particularly fine to me.

The Kletzki 9 is, as often pointed out, a magnificent rendering as well. Easily in my top 3 of the work.
Baa?

Wanderer

Harnoncourt/COE is a perennial favourite; two more I've come to value very highly over the years are Abbado's Rome cycle (the one on DVD) and Paavo Järvi/Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie. These are my top 3 at the moment and I do like (sometimes tremendously) many of the other options already mentioned. We're spoilt for choice.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Carnivorous Sheep on October 25, 2013, 05:32:33 PM
misses the mark with 3 and 9, and has a forgettable 5.

I find his 5 unforgettable. Unforgettably weird. Faster tempos are fine, but mine sounds like there was a recording error.  It's like "The Complete Works of Shakespeare in 2 minutes 30 seconds" fast.  33RPM at 45 fast...

Anyway, these days my favorite is Szell, but I also like Klemperer a lot, Abbado, Walter, Furtwangler.  And Solti.  Apparently nobody but me likes Solti :-[ 
It's all good...

Pat B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 31, 2013, 07:18:45 PM
Apparently nobody but me likes Solti :-[

Quite possible. The first 3rd I bought was his digital recording, which misled me into thinking it wasn't a great piece. I haven't listened to it in a long time, though. It might be interesting to re-listen and check if I like it any better.

I haven't heard any of his others. I will pick up one of his 9ths if I run across a cheap copy.

Carnivorous Sheep

Quote from: Baklavaboy on October 31, 2013, 07:18:45 PM
  I find his 5 unforgettable. Unforgettably weird. Faster tempos are fine, but mine sounds like there was a recording error.  It's like "The Complete Works of Shakespeare in 2 minutes 30 seconds" fast.  33RPM at 45 fast...

Anyway, these days my favorite is Szell, but I also like Klemperer a lot, Abbado, Walter, Furtwangler.  And Solti.  Apparently nobody but me likes Solti :-[

Eh, fast Beethoven isn't really a huge novelty, and while Chailly's 5 is on the fast side (like the entire cycle), plenty of other performances have it at comparable speeds. I believe Zinman's, for example, would be faster if he didn't take the third movement repeat, as well as Gardiner's, and I'm fairly certain Immerseel and P. Jarvi's 5ths (on their cycles) are within a few seconds of Chailly's. I could go compare the timings later if I find the time.

I actually really like Solti's 5 :P

Baa?

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Carnivorous Sheep on November 01, 2013, 04:43:28 PM
Eh, fast Beethoven isn't really a huge novelty, and while Chailly's 5 is on the fast side (like the entire cycle), plenty of other performances have it at comparable speeds. I believe Zinman's, for example, would be faster if he didn't take the third movement repeat, as well as Gardiner's, and I'm fairly certain Immerseel and P. Jarvi's 5ths (on their cycles) are within a few seconds of Chailly's. I could go compare the timings later if I find the time.

I actually really like Solti's 5 :P

I just checked my Gardiner and  you are right, 8 seconds faster, and I really like the Gardiner.  Went back and listened to the Chailly again, and although not quite as fast as I remembered it, it still seems rushed to me. Even the initial "Du-Du-Da-Dum"s don't come to a full stop at the end of the phrase.  There is not even a hint of a pause before the next round comes in, like he just can't wait to get through it as fast as possible, and maybe win a prize for speed or something (or meet his meth dealer >:D).   I just read that he's going to be replacing Barenboim at the helm of one of the great philharmonics, so clearly I'm not much of a judge.  I played his 3 for comparison, and found it pleasantly bracing--although still faster-feeling than I would prefer. 
It's all good...

Pat B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on November 03, 2013, 05:27:12 AM
  I just checked my Gardiner and  you are right, 8 seconds faster, and I really like the Gardiner.  Went back and listened to the Chailly again, and although not quite as fast as I remembered it, it still seems rushed to me.

I haven't heard the Chailly, but there is definitely a difference between fast and rushed.

jochanaan

Quote from: Kreutzer on June 24, 2013, 03:38:04 PM
Way back in 1960 Everest released its Beethoven set with Joseph Krips and the London Symphony.   I bought the set mostly because it was the least expensive available, and I didn't have a lot of money for such things.  Since then I bought CDs by Karajan and some Klemper recordings.  When the Everest set was re-released on CD, I snapped it up because I no longer had a vinyl collection (or a turntable).  The Krips/London Symphony re-issue on CD has pleasant if not cutting-edge sonics.  The performances are pure nostalgia for me.  The CDs may no longer be available, but I think MP3 downloads are still available,  at very cheap prices.
That was my first set too!  A workmanlike if not transcendent set, and at least you can hear all the parts; the woodwinds aren't buried in the sound as in many other recordings.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Mirror Image

I'm not a huge fan of Beethoven's symphonies but a cycle that always struck a chord with was Klemperer's set on EMI. Such brooding performances.

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 08, 2013, 07:23:45 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Beethoven's symphonies but a cycle that always struck a chord with was Klemperer's set on EMI. Such brooding performances.

+1 on the Klemperer. I'm reading his bio now, and playing the symphonies some.  His sound seems to grow and swell, and it keeps getting bigger and bigger...like a geological event, like a new mountain range forming in front of you. 
It's all good...

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mookalafalas

Started actually listening to the Chailly, and rescind my earlier criticism.  I still don't get his five, but I am out of place to criticize his...anything.  It is completely possible that his solid bodily wastes smell like essence of rose petals...
It's all good...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pat B