Interactive Wagner - any others?

Started by John Copeland, February 02, 2013, 02:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Copeland

I have come by this recently:

From Amazon:
Richard Wagner's entire "Ring of the Nibelungen" on one CD-ROM. The definitive Vienna Philharmonic recording, Sir Georg Solti conducting.
* Complete piano-vocal score, German libretto with English translation, and running commentary-all synchronized to the music.
* All 14.5 hours of pristine digitized sound captured by The Media Café's new audio compression technology.
* More than one hundred original essays with detailed explanations.
* Extensive full-color image database from contemporary and historical sources.
* Comprehensive analysis of all the leitmotifs along with hypertext links to specific musical occurrences.
* Search functions instantaneously isolate and index individual leitmotif, characters, and musical examples throughout the entire cycle.
One disc with 14.5 hours of pristine digitized sound.

From me (LOL):   :o
You can't listen to this and expect wondrous sound, etc, but this digitized interactive tool for learning about Wagners RING cycle is pretty outstanding for a CD.  The interface is somehow dated, but for learning Wagner, following the Score, following the singers and what they're yelling about, for figuring out what the magic of the Ring is, this is the thing to get!
It will take some time for me to get through, but I am knocked out by what a useful and splendid tool this can be, for ANYONE who wants to explore The Ring from start to finish.

Does anyone know of any other useful CD's that can aid the learning and development of ones Classical obsession, similar to this?  :-\

Brahmsian

Hello John!

Wow, thanks for posting this.  This looks interesting.  I may just buy this!  :)

petrarch

Quote from: Scots John on February 02, 2013, 02:51:05 PM
...for learning about Wagners RING cycle ... following the singers and what they're yelling about

(* chortle *) ... to quote KH.

Quote from: Scots John on February 02, 2013, 02:51:05 PM
Does anyone know of any other useful CD's that can aid the learning and development of ones Classical obsession, similar to this?  :-\

Microsoft had a number of them in the 90s, which I kept even though nowadays I might need to run Windows 3.1 or 95 in a VM to be able to run them. The ones I have are Stravinsky's Sacre, Beethoven's 9th and Schubert's Trout Quintet.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole