Feb. is "What the hell, I'll give it a try" month!

Started by springrite, February 03, 2013, 06:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

springrite

Composers you have disliked for as long as you have been a music-lover, composers you have dismissed and even abused with fredquency, and composers who had caused physical pain when you last listened...

Hey! Maybe time have changed? Maybe you have changed? Maybe it is time to be more open-minded and give the fella another chance, and give yourself another chance at opening up your horizon?

For me, right now:
John harbison: Ulysse's Bow
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Brahmsian

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: springrite on February 03, 2013, 06:27:14 AM
Composers you have disliked for as long as you have been a music-lover, composers you have dismissed and even abused with fredquency, and composers who had caused physical pain when you last listened...

NO! NO! ...please don't make me listen to Stockhausen!

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Opus106

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 03, 2013, 07:05:29 AM
NO! NO! ...please don't make me listen to Stockhausen!

Sarge

???
With that statement, the image of a bazooka-toting gritty veteran of Vietnam dissipates into thin air.  :'(
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Opus106 on February 03, 2013, 07:13:44 AM
???
With that statement, the image of the bazooka-toting gritty veteran of Vietnam dissipates into thin air.  :'(

Yeah, it's lucky I was never captured by the enemy. It would have been easy to break me: just play the Helicopter Quartet on repeat.

sarge

The new erato

I listened to 4 discs of Delius yesterday and found a few works I liked (the Cello Sonata, Sea Drift), aside from that and a couple of isolated movements here and there, I found much of the rest to be inoffensive sonic wallpaper, just as I remembered it. But I count the works I mention here as signs it wasn't a total waste of time.

Disc 2-5 of this set:

[asin]B005SBR76Q[/asin] 

Opus106

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 03, 2013, 07:15:23 AM
Yeah, it's lucky I was never captured by the enemy. It would have been easy to break me: just play the Helicopter Quartet on repeat.

sarge

They aren't coming over to play Wagner.
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Brahmsian

Quote from: Opus106 on February 03, 2013, 07:21:01 AM

They aren't coming over to play Wagner.

That looks like a HIP performance (4 helicopters).  :laugh:

TheGSMoeller

TheGSMoeller

Feb. is "What the hell, I'll give it a try" month!

Does this only imply music?  :o

madaboutmahler

;D

Good idea, Paul!
Will perhaps return to several modern pieces I listened to when I was younger and hated to see how my attitudes have changed since. :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on February 03, 2013, 07:20:12 AMI found much of the rest to be inoffensive sonic wallpaper

Much how I feel about Mozart and Bach. :-\ Just background noise with no distinction or purpose.

Mirror Image

Personally, I'm preparing myself for the Ives Of March! Will definitely be giving this great composer some attention next month.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 03, 2013, 07:58:46 AM
Much how I feel about Mozart and Bach. :-\ Just background noise with no distinction or purpose.

Why not give one composition each from those two a try (again) this month? Bach's Cello Suite #1 and Mozart's Clarinet Quintet, say...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on February 03, 2013, 08:04:43 AM
Why not give one composition each from those two a try (again) this month? Bach's Cello Suite #1 and Mozart's Clarinet Quintet, say...

I guess I could listen on YouTube. I don't own any of Bach's music and the only Mozart I own are a few recordings of his Requiem and the Bohm box set of symphonies on DG.

TheGSMoeller

The most popular composers I tend to neglect are Tchaikovsky and Mahler. It's not a dislike, or a lack of respect for their abilities, it's just an uninterested feeling.
César Franck, what seems to be his most well-known piece (Symphony in D minor) has never grabbed my attention, and neither has anything else.
I'm very split on British composers...Byrd, Purcell, Elgar, Britten I adore. Holst, Bax, Walton, Delius I don't give much time too.
Ravel is another one whom I know the work, but have never felt compelled to return to.
Bach and Haydn I don't mess with, and not the ones you may be thinking, C.P.E. and Michael;)

Let me say that I am no way downgrading these composers, it's more of a I would rather not listen to them.

But instead of diving into a bunch of works, I would be willing to "What the hell, I'll give it a try" with the right recommendations, preferably pieces that I have not heard (The Planets, Bolero, etc..).

madaboutmahler

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 03, 2013, 08:10:31 AM
The most popular composers I tend to neglect are Tchaikovsky and Mahler. It's not a dislike, or a lack of respect for their abilities, it's just an uninterested feeling.
César Franck, what seems to be his most well-known piece (Symphony in D minor) has never grabbed my attention, and neither has anything else.
I'm very split on British composers...Byrd, Purcell, Elgar, Britten I adore. Holst, Bax, Walton, Delius I don't give much time too.
Ravel is another one whom I know the work, but have never felt compelled to return to.
Bach and Haydn I don't mess with, and not the ones you may be thinking, C.P.E. and Michael;)

Let me say that I am no way downgrading these composers, it's more of a I would rather not listen to them.

But instead of diving into a bunch of works, I would be willing to "What the hell, I'll give it a try" with the right recommendations, preferably pieces that I have not heard (The Planets, Bolero, etc..).

Get a BPO Digital Concert Hall ticket and listen to Nelsons' Ravel La Valse, Greg! It's incredible! La Valse is just such an incredible work. I would also recommend the piano concerti to you for Ravel. But I'm not quite sure which works you have heard so far?
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 03, 2013, 07:58:46 AM
I didn't say noise. If there actually was some noise (aka dynamics, tension, contrast) in it, I would like it much better.  It's pretty but too much of it doesn't go anywhere. And just note that I found two works with some personality that I actually like there. That's a breakthrough for me.

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 03, 2013, 08:10:31 AM

Greg, I hope you will revisit both of these marvelous French composers.  They are so bloody awesome.

Maybe try some of the chamber works for Franck, and some of the orchestral works by Ravel?  :)

Franck

Sonata for violin and piano
Piano Quintet
String Quartet

Ravel (orch.)

Ma Mere l'Oye
Daphnis et Chloe
Piano Concertos
Le Tombeau de Couperin

Ravel (chamber)

String Quartet
Piano Trio
Introduction et allegro for harp and strings

For what it's worth Greg, I have yet to listen to Franck's Symphony.  I must do this in 2013!  :)