Feb. is "What the hell, I'll give it a try" month!

Started by springrite, February 03, 2013, 06:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

It's February: What the Hell! I'll try Corelli . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Rinaldo

I'm sort of surprised that when Mozart recommendations are being thrown, ye good ol' Eine kleine Nachtmusik never comes up. Is it just because of its obnoxiousity or is it considered a lesser work by people in the know?

Because even though it's been spoiled by over-usage, I still find it to be one of the most charming musical pieces ever written, perfectly representative of what Mozart (to me) is about.

huntsman

RAP - Add a C to improve it...

Karl Henning

One beautiful piece of music. Wish I'd written it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Rinaldo

Quote from: sanantonio on March 17, 2013, 05:17:17 AM
A string orchestra is okay, IMO, but I really prefer a small ensemble sound for this work.

Same here, although I have a very fond relationship with an old record by the Slovak Chamber Orchestra, which is as romanticized as you can get and it still works.

My current favourite is Hogwood with the AAM (that's the quintet arrangement if I remember correctly). I've yet to acquire the celebrated Manze, though. And thanks for the Amadeus Quartet tip, I'll definitely check it out.

Jo498

Quote from: Rinaldo on March 16, 2013, 11:11:58 PM
I'm sort of surprised that when Mozart recommendations are being thrown, ye good ol' Eine kleine Nachtmusik never comes up. Is it just because of its obnoxiousity or is it considered a lesser work by people in the know?

Because even though it's been spoiled by over-usage, I still find it to be one of the most charming musical pieces ever written, perfectly representative of what Mozart (to me) is about.

It is both charming and representative of one side of Mozart. But it is also comparably lighweight, modest and because of its ubiquitious presence it seems precisely one of the pieces people who find Mozart shallow or boring have in mind.
It does hardly show the passionate, operatic side of Mozart that is present also in some instrumental pieces like the g minor symphony, nor the "intellectual" side of some string quartets, quintets, or the "Jupiter", nor the brilliant instrumentation for winds like in the "Gran partita" or the piano concertos K 482 and 491, nor the grand choral writing of the Requiem and c minor mass. As there are so many great works by Mozart, the Kleine Nachtmusik has to count as a lesser one (it even says so in the name!), despite its not unjustified popularity.

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

RebLem

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 03, 2013, 07:05:29 AM
NO! NO! ...please don't make me listen to Stockhausen!   Sarge

I agree, Sarge, and I would like to add Hans Werner Henze.  I went to a Friday matinee concert of the Chicago Symphony in the early 1970's in which Solti conducted Henze's Heliogabalus imperator.  It had been commissioned by the Chicago Symphony, and Solti had conducted the world premiere the night before.  People started leaving a few minutes in, and by the end, about 70% of the original audience had left, and the performance only received polite, tepid applause.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

Karl Henning

Quote from: RebLem on October 23, 2016, 10:21:12 PM
I agree, Sarge, and I would like to add Hans Werner Henze.  I went to a Friday matinee concert of the Chicago Symphony in the early 1970's in which Solti conducted Henze's Heliogabalus imperator.  It had been commissioned by the Chicago Symphony, and Solti had conducted the world premiere the night before.  People started leaving a few minutes in, and by the end, about 70% of the original audience had left, and the performance only received polite, tepid applause.

The audience reaction, alas, is not conclusive.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mahlerian

Quote from: RebLem on October 23, 2016, 10:21:12 PM

Still a better reception than the premiere of Bruckner's Third!
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Monsieur Croche

You'd have to offer me at least a small fortune to sit through the utterly revulsive damned Franck Violin Sonata... again.  Yeah, I've essayed it a number of times over many years, and it does not get any better.  It is the essence of truly obnoxious music.
~ I'm all for personal expression; it just has to express something to me. ~

Karl Henning

Quote from: Monsieur Croche on October 25, 2016, 08:19:47 AM
You'd have to offer me at least a small fortune to sit through the utterly revulsive damned Franck Violin Sonata... again.  Yeah, I've essayed it a number of times over many years, and it does not get any better.  It is the essence of truly obnoxious music.

I'm having the devil of a time trying to raise money for that proposal.  Have you tried Kickstarter?

0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA