Feb. is "What the hell, I'll give it a try" month!

Started by springrite, February 03, 2013, 06:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mszczuj

Give the chance to Benjamin Frankel? I'll rather assume that I was wrong when I was bored.

The new erato

Quote from: mszczuj on February 03, 2013, 02:14:24 PM
Give the chance to Benjamin Frankel? I'll rather assume that I was wrong when I was bored.
I like his violin concerto, but found the symphonies relatively tough going - but I need to try again.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on February 03, 2013, 01:14:21 PM
I gave a chance to Verdi's music and I listened to Nabucco which was broadcast on last Friday, from Teatro alla Scala. I'm afraid the experiment didn't go very well, the music wasn't able to involve me at all, except for some parts; I've found it too melodramatic, not thrilling, passionate and overwhelming enough. The only Verdi I seem to appreciate is the orchestral one (Requiem, the prestissimo from Don Carlos).

You don't drink wine...you don't like Verdi. Are you sure you're really Italian?  ;)  Please tell me you at least like Penne all' Arrabiata!  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 04, 2013, 01:07:19 AM
You don't drink wine...you don't like Verdi. Are you sure you're really Italian?  ;)  Please tell me you at least like Penne all' Arrabiata!  8)

Sarge

Hahaha, yeah, I seem to be definitely a would-be German citizen. :laugh: Sure, I like it very much.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on February 03, 2013, 01:14:21 PM
I gave a chance to Verdi's music and I listened to Nabucco which was broadcast on last Friday, from Teatro alla Scala. I'm afraid the experiment didn't go very well, the music wasn't able to involve me at all, except for some parts; I've found it too melodramatic, not thrilling, passionate and overwhelming enough . . . .

Mi dispiace, mi amica cara, ma . . . I shouldn't write Verdi's operas off, based on Nabucco, any more than I should write Mozart's operas off, based on Mitridate, re di Ponto. Both are comparatively early examples of the composer writing into a certain fashion of the time, neither is considered a particularly sublime masterpiece in the genre by either composer.

Have you tried Falstaff?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: karlhenning on February 04, 2013, 05:20:06 AM
Mi dispiace, mi amica cara, ma . . . I shouldn't write Verdi's operas off, based on Nabucco, any more than I should write Mozart's operas off, based on Mitridate, re di Ponto. Both are comparatively early examples of the composer writing into a certain fashion of the time, neither is considered a particularly sublime masterpiece in the genre by either composer.

Have you tried Falstaff?

No, I've never listened to Verdi's Falstaff (although I know Karajan recorded it more than once :)), only Nabucco, Otello, La traviata and Rigoletto. Yes, the opera reflects a certain fashion of the time, but my problem with this music, as well as with Verdi's works in general, is that I find it too theatrical, too softly atmospheric and lacking in passionate intensity, overwhelming energy and deep psychological introspection. Wagner's Der fliegende Holländer premiered only one year later than Nabucco, but I think it has much more poetical tragedy, brilliance and timbric colour, while its characters express a much deeper sensuality.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

dyn

things i downloaded this month that i had previously written off—

Schnittke (the symphonies)
Davies (the Naxos Quartets; listening to no. 7 now)
Alexander Tcherepnin (the symphonies)
Gloria Coates (various things i found on naxos online)
Rautavaara (the symphonies)

will report back... eventually... that's a lot of stuff to listen to

composers who've worn out all their chances already include Bruckner, Mahler and Wagner, the unholy trinity :lol: and Rossini.

Todd

Looks like February will be Saint-Saens month.  Thank goodness it's not a leap year.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Fafner

I suppose February is going to be a month of French music for me. I like Franck's Symphony in D minor and some Ravel, and that's about it.

I never warmed up to any of the French composers and as a massive opera fan, I find all French opera excruciatingly boring.

I would appreciate any suggestions of the musical gems I have been missing.  8)
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

Fafner

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on February 04, 2013, 01:55:43 PM
No, I've never listened to Verdi's Falstaff (although I know Karajan recorded it more than once :)), only Nabucco, Otello, La traviata and Rigoletto. Yes, the opera reflects a certain fashion of the time, but my problem with this music, as well as with Verdi's works in general, is that I find it too theatrical, too softly atmospheric and lacking in passionate intensity, overwhelming energy and deep psychological introspection. Wagner's Der fliegende Holländer premiered only one year later than Nabucco, but I think it has much more poetical tragedy, brilliance and timbric colour, while its characters express a much deeper sensuality.

Verdi obviously cannot be compared to Wagner, they are both products of completely different musical heritages. Of course, Verdi is theatrical, it is after all Italian opera, but specifically Otello, I would not say is "lacking in passionate intensity, overwhelming energy and deep psychological introspection". If there is one opera by Verdi that abounds in those qualities, it is Otello. La Traviata also has brilliant moments of poetical tragedy.

I would recommend you try Simone Boccanegra, and especially the finale of Act 1 ("Plebe! Patrizi! Popolo!"). I regard that as one of the finest pieces of music Verdi ever wrote.
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

Opus106

Quote from: Fafner on February 05, 2013, 01:28:20 AM

Rameau and Couperin (fathers, uncles, nephews and whathaveyou)
Regards,
Navneeth

mc ukrneal

I suppose February is going to be a month of French music for me. I like Franck's Symphony in D minor and some Ravel, and that's about it.

I never warmed up to any of the French composers and as a massive opera fan, I find all French opera excruciatingly boring.

A tough one. I love French music, but it is hard to recommned without being sure why you dislike it and knowing what you have heard. One composer I love is Adam - he wrote many ballets, the most famous of which is Giselle. That may be a place to start. Offenbach has wonderful melodies. His opera, Tales of Hoffman, is a classic, but there are orchestral discs as well that you could find. Bizet would be a natural place to start for many, and here I'd recommend the L'arlesienne and Carmen Suites. Debussy is wonderful, but not everyone likes this style. His La Mer is great as are numerous other pieces. Faure is famous for his Requiem, which I think is probably the prettiest of all the most famous requiems. Of course, Saint Saens has wonderful Piano Concertos (among lots of other great stuff) that is worth seeking out. If you like Franck, you might seek out a piano disc on Hyperion that I have always liked.

But I can go on and on with Hahn, Massenet, Gounod, Auber, Thomas, Boieldieu, Herold, etc. Anything you could add might help to narrow down a few choices.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Fafner

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 05, 2013, 02:05:16 AM
A tough one. I love French music, but it is hard to recommned without being sure why you dislike it and knowing what you have heard. One composer I love is Adam - he wrote many ballets, the most famous of which is Giselle. That may be a place to start. Offenbach has wonderful melodies. His opera, Tales of Hoffman, is a classic, but there are orchestral discs as well that you could find. Bizet would be a natural place to start for many, and here I'd recommend the L'arlesienne and Carmen Suites. Debussy is wonderful, but not everyone likes this style. His La Mer is great as are numerous other pieces. Faure is famous for his Requiem, which I think is probably the prettiest of all the most famous requiems. Of course, Saint Saens has wonderful Piano Concertos (among lots of other great stuff) that is worth seeking out. If you like Franck, you might seek out a piano disc on Hyperion that I have always liked.

But I can go on and on with Hahn, Massenet, Gounod, Auber, Thomas, Boieldieu, Herold, etc. Anything you could add might help to narrow down a few choices.

Thanks for the tips. I will give it a try.
There is no particular reason for me to dislike French music. I suppose I kind of formed an unconscious bias after several unsatisfactory encounters, and I have never really been seeking out French composers ever since. I like Giselle even though I never listened to the music alone, without the ballet.  Faure's Requiem has been on my todo list for a while.
   --- Anna Russell

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Fafner on February 05, 2013, 01:38:04 AM
Verdi obviously cannot be compared to Wagner, they are both products of completely different musical heritages. Of course, Verdi is theatrical, it is after all Italian opera, but specifically Otello, I would not say is "lacking in passionate intensity, overwhelming energy and deep psychological introspection". If there is one opera by Verdi that abounds in those qualities, it is Otello. La Traviata also has brilliant moments of poetical tragedy.

I would recommend you try Simone Boccanegra, and especially the finale of Act 1 ("Plebe! Patrizi! Popolo!"). I regard that as one of the finest pieces of music Verdi ever wrote.

Maybe it expresses those qualities more than other Verdi's operas, it has many wagnerian influences; but not enough to strike fire from my heart, I'm afraid.
I could give Otello another try though, or Simone Boccanegra; thank you for the suggestion.

Florestan

Carmen ! ! !
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Fafner

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on February 05, 2013, 03:45:35 AM
Maybe it expresses those qualities more than other Verdi's operas, it has many wagnerian influences; but not enough to strike fire from my heart, I'm afraid.
I could give Otello another try though, or Simone Boccanegra; thank you for the suggestion.

Yes, late Verdi has many wagnerian influences and the Simone Boccanegra ensemble I mentioned is one of the additions made to the 1881 version of the opera.
   --- Anna Russell

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 05, 2013, 02:05:16 AM

Great suggestions. I would add Ernest Chausson, Vincent d'Indy and Darius Milhaud.

Fafner

Quote from: Florestan on February 05, 2013, 03:49:08 AM
Carmen ! ! !

Yes, Carmen. I have to give it another try. I have yet to watch the latest MET production with Elina Garanča.

Well, I suppose my problem with French opera is the same Ilaria has with Verdi. I find it mannered and devoid of real passion. It has fine moments, but not enough to sustain my attention for the whole thing.
   --- Anna Russell

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Fafner on February 05, 2013, 02:24:19 AM
Thanks for the tips. I will give it a try.
There is no particular reason for me to dislike French music. I suppose I kind of formed an unconscious bias after several unsatisfactory encounters, and I have never really been seeking out French composers ever since. I like Giselle even though I never listened to the music alone, without the ballet.  Faure's Requiem has been on my todo list for a while.
Ah, well, if you liked Adam, you might give some of his other ballets a shot. There is La Filleule des Fées on Marco Polo and La Jolie Fille de Gand also on Marco Polo that could be worth a try. La Corsaire is another one.

Faure's Requiem is a real beauty. No guarantee that you will like it, of course, but it has some exquisite moments. His pavanne is quite famous (and a short piece), which you could probably find on youtube (to give you an idea of his style).

But I wouldn't worry too much. One day you'll hear something you like and it will open a hole in your wallet! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: Fafner on February 05, 2013, 03:54:48 AM
Well, I suppose my problem with French opera is the same Ilaria has with Verdi. I find it mannered and devoid of real passion.

Carmen is anything but.

It has fine moments, but not enough to sustain my attention for the whole thing.

My exact sentiments about Wagner.   ;D