The Copland Corral

Started by karlhenning, April 10, 2007, 05:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Brewski on November 07, 2022, 12:36:34 PM
For the public radio station here, WRTI (and to coincide with Election Day), I wrote an article on Copland's Lincoln Portrait, touching on a bit of history, context, and of course, versions worth hearing. (There are a lot of them!)

https://www.wrti.org/wrti-spotlight/2022-11-07/album-of-the-week-aaron-coplands-lincoln-portrait

-Bruce
Excellent article Bruce.
I was fascinated to see Copland narrating himself with Bernstein conducting - a most moving and much-needed performance. I wish that there was a CD recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Am enjoying this newly-released boxed set of Copland's own CBS/Sony recordings (20 CDs including a couple conducted by Bernstein):
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Roasted Swan

Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2024, 01:01:46 AMAm enjoying this newly-released boxed set of Copland's own CBS/Sony recordings (20 CDs including a couple conducted by Bernstein):

Looks great - but too expensive with too much duplication from earlier Sony boxes for me sadly......

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 20, 2024, 05:05:14 AMLooks great - but too expensive with too much duplication from earlier Sony boxes for me sadly......
Yes, I take your point. I have the old 3 volume Copland Sony sets from years ago but this is much better presented with a glossy illustrated booklet of almost 80 pages. Also, most of the chamber music CDs were new to me and I love having the original LP covers in mini versions.

vandermolen

My only disappointment with the fabulous new 'Copland conducts Copland' boxed set (see above) is that it doesn't contain the Symphony for Organ and Orchestra - a great work. And then I remembered that it was Bernstein who conducted the recording. Having said that the set does contain a couple of Bernstein recordings, so why couldn't they include that one as well?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 20, 2024, 08:44:47 AMMy only disappointment with the fabulous new 'Copland conducts Copland' boxed set (see above) is that it doesn't contain the Symphony for Organ and Orchestra - a great work. And then I remembered that it was Bernstein who conducted the recording. Having said that the set does contain a couple of Bernstein recordings, so why couldn't they include that one as well?
Jeffrey,

If you have this set (or are tempted to get it), it includes the Symphony for Organ and Orchestra.

PD

p.s.  Warning:  It's a roughly LP-sized box!
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 20, 2024, 12:34:31 PMJeffrey,

If you have this set (or are tempted to get it), it includes the Symphony for Organ and Orchestra.

PD

Yes, a ginormous box.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 20, 2024, 12:34:31 PMJeffrey,

PD

Thanks PD although I can't afford that one as well  :o
I have one of those Japanese re-mastering CDs featuring Copland's 3rd Symphony conducted by Bernstein (I prefer Copland's own recording) and the Symphony for Organ and Orchestra - so, I will stick with that.  :)