Benjamin Britten

Started by Boris_G, July 12, 2007, 10:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

I've never given any attention to these suites before so I thought it was about time! I was surprised to see how often they've been recorded in fact.

The other thing I heard today is Bream's performance of the op 70 nocturnal.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mandryka on January 18, 2021, 01:08:53 PM
Thanks, will listen tomorrow.

My pleasure. Many consider Rostropovich the reference recording and I can certainly hear why as these works were written for him of course. The Gerhardt is quite good, though and offers more up-to-date sonics.

bhodges

Quote from: Mandryka on January 18, 2021, 01:20:36 PM
I've never given any attention to these suites before so I thought it was about time! I was surprised to see how often they've been recorded in fact.

The other thing I heard today is Bream's performance of the op 70 nocturnal.

The suites are among Britten's best creations, which is saying something. Also, if you like Nocturnal, you might like Sharon Isbin's version, which appears on her Nightshade Rounds recording. (Checking Amazon just now, I'm not sure if it's worth paying $136, but as they say, YMMV.  ;D )

--Bruce

Mandryka

Sharon Isbin's Nocturnal is streaming on her recording called Great Masterworks of the Guitar. I'm enjoying it more today than I enjoyed Bream yesterday.

I am also enjoying the third cello suite, rather more than the other two in fact.

Mandryka

Quote from: knight66 on January 17, 2021, 03:33:52 AM
Oddly, that quartet is about my favourite part of it. I waited for it in the new version by Edward Gardner on Chandos. I had attended one of the concert performances given with the same forces, about the best performance of anything I have seen. But it was not on the first disc, nor on the second. Eventually I realised it would not play because my old CD player could not cope with a disc of over 80 minutes. I have just bought a new player, so Grimes and the Currentzis Mahler 6th can now annoy the neighbours in their entirely

Mike

My turn to upset the neighbours today with that Chandos recording. And you know, I can still sing along! I can't stop muttering to myself "he's mad, or drunk."

Mandryka

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 18, 2021, 12:27:04 PM
Rostropovich and Gerhardt are the ones I continue to come back to, although I haven't listened to many other performances outside of these recordings.

Did Rostropovich record the third?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mandryka on January 19, 2021, 07:47:17 AM
Did Rostropovich record the third?

Now that you mention it, I don't believe he did --- just the 1st and 2nd. I could've swore he did as I have this set:

It appears that Robert Cohen is the cellist in the 3rd in this set.

Pohjolas Daughter

Rostropovich is a favorite of mine!  First time that I ever heard them too.

I found a used copy of Truls Mork playing them; will have to give that a listen.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Not being an opera fan I don't listen to much Britten, although I think very highly of the Sinfonia da Requiem (which I saw Walter Susskind conduct decades ago) and the War Requiem. I have, however, recently began to appreciate the Violin Concerto, which I have been enjoying on this excellent CD, which I bought for the poignant Milford work 'The Darkling Thrush':

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2021, 02:54:13 AM
Not being an opera fan I don't listen to much Britten, although I think very highly of the Sinfonia da Requiem (which I saw Walter Susskind conduct decades ago) and the War Requiem. I have, however, recently began to appreciate the Violin Concerto, which I have been enjoying on this excellent CD, which I bought for the poignant Milford work 'The Darkling Thrush':

Well, he wrote a lot of music besides opera, Jeffrey. Have you heard the SQs, Ballad of Heroes, Phaedra, Nocturne, Serenade for Tenor, Horn & Strings, Cantata academica, Spring Symphony, Phantasy Quartet, etc.?

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2021, 02:54:13 AM

To have both the Britten and Delius VC in the same package is appealing, Jeffrey. Milford, I have not heard of but if that was the reason for your purchase then win win win. :)
Maybe his politics, I don't know, but Supraphon released a fair bit of Britten. Nora Grumlikova is outstanding and my introduction to the work.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

I could never quite get into Britten's Violin Concerto. I mean it's certainly not a bad work or doesn't have its great moments, but I don't know, it just never held together very well for me. I much prefer his Piano Concerto and if we're talking about string concerti then the early Double Concerto is another favorite. I also like the Cello Symphony, Diversions and Lachrymae.

pjme

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2021, 07:03:07 AM
Well, he wrote a lot of music besides opera, Jeffrey. Have you heard the SQs, Ballad of Heroes, Phaedra, Nocturne, Serenade for Tenor, Horn & Strings, Cantata academica, Spring Symphony, Phantasy Quartet, etc.?

Phaedra, the Nocturne, the Spring symphony and the Cantata academica are indeed works in which Britten once more shows how well he wrote for voices. I have a soft spot for the (quite unpopular) Cantata academica. Its melodies invite to sing along!
The 1960 world premiere performance under Paul Sacher is on YT (with  Agnes Giebel, soprano; Elsa Cavelti, contralto; Peter Pears, tenor and Heinz Rehfuss, bass), the EMI recording is conducted by George Malcolm and has soloists Jennifer Vyvyan, Helen Watts, Peter Pears, and Owen Brannigan and still sounds good.
As unpopular, I think, is the lovely Cantata misericordium - for tenor, baritone, chorus, string quartet, string orchestra, piano, harp, and timpani. It recounts the Biblical parable of the Good Samaritan and was written for the centenary of the Red cross.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2021, 07:03:07 AM
I like the Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings and the Cantata Misericordium, which doesn't seem to get much attention. I just snapped this set up John:

I never liked the VC before but for some reason it appeals much more to me now. The ending reminded me of Shostakovich and I see that it has been coupled with DSCH's 1st VC on one record label. What got me into it was that I recognised the opening bars as a theme for a BBC Schools History TV series which I used to show my students.
I'm sure that I've head and enjoyed the Ballad of Heroes.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 26, 2021, 07:14:22 AM
To have both the Britten and Delius VC in the same package is appealing, Jeffrey. Milford, I have not heard of but if that was the reason for your purchase then win win win. :)
Maybe his politics, I don't know, but Supraphon released a fair bit of Britten. Nora Grumlikova is outstanding and my introduction to the work.
Yes, I remember that LP Lol, although I never owned it. I think that you'd like The Darkling Thrush - it's only 13 minutes but I find it very moving and poignant in view of Milford's sad life. That Dutton CD has given me much pleasure and is one of those discs that I can enjoy all the way through despite it featuring the work of three different composers. It's very much in the Finzi/VW mould. Milford's teachers were Holst and VW.

PS on second thoughts I do have that recording but on CD:

vandermolen

Quote from: pjme on January 26, 2021, 12:37:50 PM
Phaedra, the Nocturne, the Spring symphony and the Cantata academica are indeed works in which Britten once more shows how well he wrote for voices. I have a soft spot for the (quite unpopular) Cantata academica. Its melodies invite to sing along!
The 1960 world premiere performance under Paul Sacher is on YT (with  Agnes Giebel, soprano; Elsa Cavelti, contralto; Peter Pears, tenor and Heinz Rehfuss, bass), the EMI recording is conducted by George Malcolm and has soloists Jennifer Vyvyan, Helen Watts, Peter Pears, and Owen Brannigan and still sounds good.
As unpopular, I think, is the lovely Cantata misericordium - for tenor, baritone, chorus, string quartet, string orchestra, piano, harp, and timpani. It recounts the Biblical parable of the Good Samaritan and was written for the centenary of the Red cross.
I remember taking this LP out of the Library in Exeter when I was doing my teacher training. I took it out for the Sinfonia Da Requiem but thoroughly enjoyed the Cantata Misericordium. The recording reappeared on CD with the Sinfonia Da Requiem and the Cello Symphony and was not even mentioned on the front of the disc!

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on January 26, 2021, 12:37:50 PM

All the works you mention are superb Britten all-around. I'm not sure why the Cantata academica is unpopular but that's of no matter to me --- I love it. Do you like any of the operas? The Turn of the Screw and Death in Venice are outstanding, but I also like Peter Grimes and Gloriana.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 26, 2021, 12:58:01 PM
I like the Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings and the Cantata Misericordium, which doesn't seem to get much attention. I just snapped this set up John:

I never liked the VC before but for some reason it appeals much more to me now. The ending reminded me of Shostakovich and I see that it has been coupled with DSCH's 1st VC on one record label. What got me into it was that I recognised the opening bars as a theme for a BBC Schools History TV series which I used to show my students.
I'm sure that I've head and enjoyed the Ballad of Heroes.

Very nice, Jeffrey. That should be a fine set. I believe I own most the Britten from that set in this one:

pjme

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2021, 01:43:27 PM
All the works you mention are superb Britten all-around. I'm not sure why the Cantata academica is unpopular but that's of no matter to me --- I love it. Do you like any of the operas? The Turn of the Screw and Death in Venice are outstanding, but I also like Peter Grimes and Gloriana.

Britten was one of the composers that I found easy to appreciate as a teenager. The War requiem was (and still is) regularly performed in Belgium (WWI - Ieper/Ypres...)and made a huge impression when I first saw & heard it. The operas came much later. I've seen and love Death in Venice, Peter Grimes and A midsummer night's dream
This superb production was premiered in Lyon or Aix en Provence:
https://youtu.be/rTUajpHeG-A
I've never heard Gloriana but do like the Suite from that opera.
And that late symphonic work "A time there was"!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: pjme on January 26, 2021, 02:07:08 PM
Britten was one of the composers that I found easy to appreciate as a teenager. The War requiem was (and still is) regularly performed in Belgium (WWI - Ieper/Ypres...)and made a huge impression when I first saw & heard it. The operas came much later. I've seen and love Death in Venice, Peter Grimes and A midsummer night's dream
This superb production was premiered in Lyon or Aix en Provence:
https://youtu.be/rTUajpHeG-A
I've never heard Gloriana but do like the Suite from that opera.
And that late symphonic work "A time there was"!!

The War Requiem is a favorite of mine as well. Such a massive work, but quite moving. I never could warm up to A Midsummer's Night Dream. I don't know I guess I like the more brooding operas like The Turn of the Screw and Death in Venice. These operas are sinister and can have quite the hold over me when I'm listening to them. I think you'd appreciate Gloriana. The recording of choice here in Mackerras on Decca. Wow. What a performance! I agree with you about Suite on English Folk Tunes, "A time there was...". Wonderful work.