Benjamin Britten

Started by Boris_G, July 12, 2007, 10:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iota

Quote from: Irons on February 28, 2019, 06:44:51 AMAll three Britten quartets are special and the 1st is extra-special.

As correct a statement as has ever strolled this earth, I think.

Quote from: Irons on February 28, 2019, 06:44:51 AM
I love Britten's violin concerto [..] but even better, on the Czech Supraphon label of all places, Nora Grumlikova with Peter Maag conducting the Prague SO, the coupling being RVW Concerto Accademico.[/b]

Quote from: Brewski on February 28, 2019, 07:48:05 AM
Want to give a shout-out to Noseda's War Requiem, which is a spectacular modern version -- the best I have heard since Britten's original.

Interesting, will check those out.

Quote from: vandermolen on July 07, 2019, 10:56:55 AM
In Suffolk on holiday this week. Today we did a six mile walk from Aldeburgh. Saw the shell memorial to Britten on the beach and then visited the very impressive 'Maltings' at Snape.

Is there any more symbiotic an example of music and place, than Britten and Aldeburgh I wonder? External and inner landscape almost as one at times it feels. Personally I find the connection a magical thing. A lovely thing to be doing, vandermolen, happy wanderings!

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Iota on July 08, 2019, 01:25:03 AM
Is there any more symbiotic an example of music and place, than Britten and Aldeburgh I wonder?

I would suggest Elgar and the Malvern Hills is pretty close......

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on July 08, 2019, 01:25:03 AM
As correct a statement as has ever strolled this earth, I think.

Interesting, will check those out.

Is there any more symbiotic an example of music and place, than Britten and Aldeburgh I wonder? External and inner landscape almost as one at times it feels. Personally I find the connection a magical thing. A lovely thing to be doing, vandermolen, happy wanderings!
Thank you! Sadly we didn't have time to visit the graves of Britten, Pears and Imogen Holst (didn't realise she was there too) in the churchyard. I did, a while back, visit Gustav's impressive grave in Chichester Cathedral.
Here they are from an online photo. Imogen is behind Britten's grave on the far left:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Iota

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 08, 2019, 07:19:50 AM
I would suggest Elgar and the Malvern Hills is pretty close......

Ah yes I'm sure you're right. Although there are one or two Elgar pieces I like very much, I don't have the same general connection with his music that I do with Britten's. This and knowing the music less well, means that connection doesn't quite strike me with the same force, although I'm sure it's equally strong for those more familiar with Elgar.

Quote from: vandermolen on July 08, 2019, 11:13:58 AM
Thank you! Sadly we didn't have time to visit the graves of Britten, Pears and Imogen Holst (didn't realise she was there too) in the churchyard. I did, a while back, visit Gustav's impressive grave in Chichester Cathedral.
Here they are from an online photo. Imogen is behind Britten's grave on the far left:

I was very aware of Britten's death at the time because it was a major event in our school music teacher's life, which he shared with us. Later I remember playing for Pears, accompanying an opera singer auditioning for a part in about 1984/5, and thinking he looked very sad or cheesed off, it was hard to tell which, perhaps it was just our performance .. but seeing the date of his death on that gravestone makes me wonder if he was already ill in some way.

Anyway, whoever introduced those two did the music world a very great favour indeed.

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on July 10, 2019, 01:56:28 AM
Ah yes I'm sure you're right. Although there are one or two Elgar pieces I like very much, I don't have the same general connection with his music that I do with Britten's. This and knowing the music less well, means that connection doesn't quite strike me with the same force, although I'm sure it's equally strong for those more familiar with Elgar.

I was very aware of Britten's death at the time because it was a major event in our school music teacher's life, which he shared with us. Later I remember playing for Pears, accompanying an opera singer auditioning for a part in about 1984/5, and thinking he looked very sad or cheesed off, it was hard to tell which, perhaps it was just our performance .. but seeing the date of his death on that gravestone makes me wonder if he was already ill in some way.

Anyway, whoever introduced those two did the music world a very great favour indeed.
Interesting. I remember Briiten's death very well as I was a student in Exeter doing my teacher training certificate.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Moonfish

I just happened to listen to a recital from the Decca Vocals box by Jennifer Vyvyan focusing mostly on Haydn and Mozart. However, as a bonus it also included scenes from Britten's "The Turn of the Screw" (scenes 7/8). Wow!  Somehow my mind went directly to Richard Strauss -  the darkness and the style of singing reminded me so much of RS apart from that there was an absence of the crystalline quality that I tend to hear in Strauss. Great singing!

Regardless, I'm a Britten neophyte so this was quite revelatory.  Is this music typically associated with Britten or did I just happen to stumble across a gem? I presume what I heard were excerpts from the recording below. Is this the landmark recording for "The Turn of the Screw"?

[asin] B0000041WD[/asin]

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on October 14, 2019, 02:06:42 PM
I just happened to listen to a recital from the Decca Vocals box by Jennifer Vyvyan focusing mostly on Haydn and Mozart. However, as a bonus it also included scenes from Britten's "The Turn of the Screw" (scenes 7/8). Wow!  Somehow my mind went directly to Richard Strauss -  the darkness and the style of singing reminded me so much of RS apart from that there was an absence of the crystalline quality that I tend to hear in Strauss. Great singing!

Regardless, I'm a Britten neophyte so this was quite revelatory.  Is this music typically associated with Britten or did I just happen to stumble across a gem? I presume what I heard were excerpts from the recording below. Is this the landmark recording for "The Turn of the Screw"?

[asin] B0000041WD[/asin]

I'm not a fan of that opera, but, yes, I'd say it's a highly acclaimed opera from him. For me, Death in Venice was the best opera he wrote and it's his last. It shows Britten in a quite different light, which can be said of a lot of his late works. If you haven't heard, Phaedra, then please stop what you're doing and give that piece a listen. I imagine that you'll like it.

https://www.youtube.com/v/9cmRtYeh47A

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 14, 2019, 07:38:53 PM
Phaedra is a knockout!

It sure is and is a part of those later works that I think so highly of.

Roasted Swan

[asin] B0000041WD[/asin]

Moonfish - I meant to reply to your comment about Vyvyan on the other thread - but this will do!  Worth checking out her other recordings - she was very active as a performer for the likes of Bliss as well as Britten.  She's on the first performance of the former's "The Beatitudes" which was the forgotten(ish!) work given at the opening festival for Coventry Cathedral where the Britten Requiem made the big stir.  She also appears on an early recording of the Britten Spring Symphony I seem to remember.  A big powerful dramatic singer whose name is little known these days.

As a little aside - my violin teacher one of the players in the original performance of "Turn of the Screw" and always spoke highly of the work and indeed the whole experience.......

vandermolen

I heard the Hymn to St Cecilia live last night.

North Star

[asin] B0000041WD[/asin]
Daniel Harding's recording was my introduction to the work, and I recall thinking very highly of it. I can't offer any comparison with the Britten recording, though, as I've not heard either in ages. The Turn of the Screw is certainly in some ways a unique work for Britten regarding the structure and musical language too perhaps - and it is a gem for sure, but his other operas are also definitely worth hearing, from Peter Grimes to Death in Venice. And of course there are lots of other great works by him, such as Phaedra mentioned by John.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

pjme

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 15, 2019, 12:15:01 AM
Moonfish - I meant to reply to your comment about Vyvyan on the other thread - but this will do!  Worth checking out her other recordings - she was very active as a performer for the likes of Bliss as well as Britten.  She's on the first performance of the former's "The Beatitudes" which was the forgotten(ish!) work given at the opening festival for Coventry Cathedral where the Britten Requiem made the big stir.  She also appears on an early recording of the Britten Spring Symphony I seem to remember.  A big powerful dramatic singer whose name is little known these days.

Jennifer Vyvyan is indeed the soprano soloist in Britten's own recording of the Spring Symphony. She has a wonderful voice : clear and strong and capable of the most gorgeous pianissimi.
I cherish her performance in Gordon Crosse's Changes. Check out nrs. 13 & 14!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/v/9EFlhWuezHo

The recital disc is very good aswell.

see also: http://jennifervyvyan.org/pages/view/id/17

Symphonic Addict

Listening to The Prince of the Pagodas for the first time. Strikingly imaginative, colourful and exotic, not to say the accurate orchestration. Britten's imagination in full display. Some of the happiest and most vibrant pages of this composer too.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 23, 2019, 12:20:16 PM

Listening to The Prince of the Pagodas for the first time. Strikingly imaginative, colourful and exotic, not to say the accurate orchestration. Britten's imagination in full display. Some of the happiest and most vibrant pages of this composer too.

I really, really enjoy this ballet, Cesar. It's been quite some time since I've heard it, though. I should revisit it. The Javanese influence is quite strong It does show Britten in a more opulent light, indeed. But, truth be told, I like all sides of Britten and there's no mistaking him for any other composer. Quite a distinctive compositional voice. Since you've been getting a bit into solo piano, have you checked out his music in this medium? It's very good and I always wished he had composed more.

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 23, 2019, 12:20:16 PM

Indeed, it's one of my favorite Britten works. In its colorful, exotic nature it stands out from most of his other later works which tend to be rather unremittingly dark and bleak in mood. I especially love Act 2, Scene 1 with its vivid depictions of Air, Water, and Fire.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 23, 2019, 06:48:43 PM
I really, really enjoy this ballet, Cesar. It's been quite some time since I've heard it, though. I should revisit it. The Javanese influence is quite strong It does show Britten in a more opulent light, indeed. But, truth be told, I like all sides of Britten and there's no mistaking him for any other composer. Quite a distinctive compositional voice. Since you've been getting a bit into solo piano, have you checked out his music in this medium? It's very good and I always wished he had composed more.

Good to know, John. Yeah, it's a fantastic work for sure. I've always been fan of exoticism in music, and here I find that in a way only Britten could do. Not to mention the creativity he displays on the score. I too like his other facets as a composer, maybe there are some works that are a bit astringent or serious for my taste, but overall he's one of the greatest.

No, I don't know his piano music at all. What works would you recommend me?
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on December 23, 2019, 07:53:08 PM
Indeed, it's one of my favorite Britten works. In its colorful, exotic nature it stands out from most of his other later works which tend to be rather unremittingly dark and bleak in mood. I especially love Act 2, Scene 1 with its vivid depictions of Air, Water, and Fire.

Excellent, Kyle. This work is imbued with such spark and liveliness that leaves me pleasantly impressed. In my case it was the act III the one I found more engaging.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on December 24, 2019, 09:14:43 AM
Good to know, John. Yeah, it's a fantastic work for sure. I've always been fan of exoticism in music, and here I find that in a way only Britten could do. Not to mention the creativity he displays on the score. I too like his other facets as a composer, maybe there are some works that are a bit astringent or serious for my taste, but overall he's one of the greatest.

No, I don't know his piano music at all. What works would you recommend me?

Holday Diary is really one of the best works for solo piano that Britten wrote, but, to be honest, I like them all. If you can find this recording, it's really a great grab all of his piano music:

Thankfully, the performances are quite good. Stephen Hough is no slouch.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 24, 2019, 09:24:54 AM
Holday Diary is really one of the best works for solo piano that Britten wrote, but, to be honest, I like them all. If you can find this recording, it's really a great grab all of his piano music:

Thankfully, the performances are quite good. Stephen Hough is no slouch.

Thank you, John!

Noam Chomsky