Started by Boris_G, July 12, 2007, 10:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread -

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 01, 2013, 10:24:30 AM
Another cheapy bought from wish list:

And a few more...

Mirror Image

I'll definitely let you know how the Pappano War Requiem is, Greg. I listened to a few excerpts via Spotify and it sounded quite good.

Brahmsian

First listen to these works, and am enjoying them!  :)  Courtesy of my downtown library.

Britten

Suite No. 1 for Solo Cello, Op. 72
Suite No. 2 for Solo Cello, Op. 80
Suite No. 3 for Solo Cello, Op. 87

Jean-Guihen Queyras, cello

Harmonia Mundi

[asin]B00A2CL4J2[/asin]

Karl Henning

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 03, 2014, 08:29:59 AM
First listen to these works, and am enjoying them!  :)  Courtesy of my downtown library.

Britten

Suite No. 1 for Solo Cello, Op. 72
Suite No. 2 for Solo Cello, Op. 80
Suite No. 3 for Solo Cello, Op. 87

Jean-Guihen Queyras, cello

Harmonia Mundi

[asin]B00A2CL4J2[/asin]

Nicely done, Ray!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

First listens to these, and quite enjoyable!  :)

Britten

*Symphonic Suite from 'Gloriana', Op. 53a
**Symphony for Cello and Orchestra, Op. 68
Four Sea Interludes from 'Peter Grimes', Op. 33a

*Robert Murray, tenor
**Paul Watkins, cello

Edward Gardner
BBC Philharmonic

Chandos

[asin]B004LHOZYA[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 05, 2014, 08:20:46 AM

Britten

*Symphonic Suite from 'Gloriana', Op. 53a
**Symphony for Cello and Orchestra, Op. 68
Four Sea Interludes from 'Peter Grimes', Op. 33a

*Robert Murray, tenor
**Paul Watkins, cello

Edward Gardner
BBC Philharmonic

Chandos

[asin]B004LHOZYA[/asin]

That's an outstanding disc, Ray. Fantastic performances all around. I never really listened that good to the Gloriana Suite, but after several careful listens to this Gardner performance, I've become quite enamored with it. The Cello Symphony is a bit of a tougher nut to crack, but I think Watkins gives his everything here. Of course, the Four Sea Interludes from 'Peter Grimes' is always enjoyable.

vandermolen

I am not a particular Britten fan but this recording of the Czech premiere (Dvorak Hall, Prague 1966) is one of the most moving and gripping CDs I have come across in recent times. I think that it is worthy to stand alongside Gunter Wand's recording of Bruckner's 9th Symphony (RCA):
[asin]B00CO2S4XC[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

bhodges

Quote from: vandermolen on January 23, 2014, 11:18:50 AM
I am not a particular Britten fan but this recording of the Czech premiere (Dvorak Hall, Prague 1966) is one of the most moving and gripping CDs I have come across in recent times. I think that it is worthy to stand alongside Gunter Wand's recording of Bruckner's 9th Symphony (RCA):
[asin]B00CO2S4XC[/asin]

Oh does that look GREAT. Thanks for posting - and for your comments.

--Bruce

vandermolen

Quote from: Brewski on January 23, 2014, 11:26:44 AM
Oh does that look GREAT. Thanks for posting - and for your comments.

--Bruce

My pleasure Bruce.  :)

I think that Ancerl lost all his family in World War Two, which might explains the overwhelmingly moving nature of this performance, which gripped me from beginning to end.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Rinaldo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 23, 2014, 11:35:35 AMI think that Ancerl lost all his family in World War Two, which might explains the overwhelmingly moving nature of this performance, which gripped me from beginning to end.

Yes, in Auschwitz. The whole family (Ančerl included - he even did some conducting during his imprisonment) ended there after a transfer from the Terezín concentration camp.

Quote from: ChamberNut on January 05, 2014, 08:20:46 AM

[asin]B004LHOZYA[/asin]

The suite from Gloriana is fabulous, as is the opera itself. Looking forward to another performance here in Prague in February. The Lute Song is one of my favourite arias of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/v/uLPMeCt_JKw

vandermolen

Quote from: Rinaldo on January 23, 2014, 12:16:36 PM
Yes, in Auschwitz. The whole family (Ančerl included - he even did some conducting during his imprisonment) ended there after a transfer from the Terezín concentration camp.

The suite from Gloriana is fabulous, as is the opera itself. Looking forward to another performance here in Prague in February. The Lute Song is one of my favourite arias of all time:

I discovered the Suite from Gloriana recently - a very enjoyable work.

Mirror Image

Time to revive this thread. Did any of my fellow Brittenites buy the Decca Complete Works set? If not, then I highly recommend it. The box itself is a piece of art. One of the most extravagant box sets I own. It's also quite large, so be sure to make some shelf space for it. I haven't even begun to discover the riches of this treasure trove.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 03, 2014, 08:27:03 AM
Time to revive this thread. Did any of my fellow Brittenites buy the Decca Complete Works set? If not, then I highly recommend it. The box itself is a piece of art. One of the most extravagant box sets I own. It's also quite large, so be sure to make some shelf space for it. I haven't even begun to discover the riches of this treasure trove.

I noticed that the Decca Britten box is available for about $162 (shipped to the US) from Amazon Japan in case anybody wants to get a huge dose of Britten.....

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Complete-Works-B-Britten/dp/B00CJCHJ1U
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on November 03, 2014, 05:51:36 PM
I noticed that the Decca Britten box is available for about $162 (shipped to the US) from Amazon Japan in case anybody wants to get a huge dose of Britten.....

http://www.amazon.co.jp/Complete-Works-B-Britten/dp/B00CJCHJ1U

That's still more than I paid. :) I believe I paid around $140 (incl. shipping) for mine. 8)

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 03, 2014, 06:01:54 PM
That's still more than I paid. :) I believe I paid around $140 (incl. shipping) for mine. 8)

Nice! Where did you get such a great deal? It seems like the going rate is $250 or more....
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on November 03, 2014, 07:10:44 PM
Nice! Where did you get such a great deal? It seems like the going rate is $250 or more....

Indeed. I believe I bought it from Amazon UK when they had a special sale a little bit after it had been released.

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 03, 2014, 08:47:02 PM
Indeed. I believe I bought it from Amazon UK when they had a special sale a little bit after it had been released.

Hmm, I cannot see such a low price in the Amazon.UK's price history - their lowest is GBP 138. Regardless, do you happen to know how the Decca set compares with the older EMI compilation in terms of recordings/quality?  :)
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on November 03, 2014, 09:05:32 PM
Hmm, I cannot see such a low price in the Amazon.UK's price history - their lowest is GBP 138. Regardless, do you happen to know how the Decca set compares with the older EMI compilation in terms of recordings/quality?  :)

Remember that I said I believe I bought it from Amazon UK, I could have very well bought it from Arkivmusic, Presto Classical, any of the incarnations of Amazon, jpc, etc. Who knows? I don't exactly remember. All I remember was getting a great deal on it not too long after it had been released. In terms of performances, you can't beat Britten in his own music IMHO. Most of these performances are with the composer himself on the podium (or on the piano) and he was no slouch when it came to conducting. Really remarkable performances throughout the box. There's also a lot of Peter Pears (Britten's main tenor of choice and his partner) in this set, so if you're not keen to his vocals, you may want to reconsider other sets or even single issues. Personally, I have no problems with his voice and the exemplary performances more than make up for any kind of deficiencies or qualms a person may have with his vocals. This box set is a must for all admirers of Britten's masterful music.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: vandermolen on January 23, 2014, 11:18:50 AM
[asin]B00CO2S4XC[/asin]

I certainly don't need another War Requiem on disc (and would never object if the recording is special), but your description has me very interested. And it is available on Spotify so I will give it a spin. Thanks, vander!

Quote from: Rinaldo on January 23, 2014, 12:16:36 PM

Gloriana and its suite are fantastic. And such an emotional ending, as with many of Britten's operas. I prefer listening to the suite with the voice rather than the oboe during the Lute Song. Thanks for the post, Rinaldo!

Ken B

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 03, 2014, 08:27:03 AM

A little too much opera for me, but I have a number of these recordings, which are superb. Unlike many composers Britten was a superb conductor, and a many of the recordings have the Culshaw sound miracle.

I recommend the 6 cd ERato EMI chamber music box.