Heino Eller (1887 - 1970)

Started by madaboutmahler, February 09, 2013, 12:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 14, 2019, 01:31:16 PM

Now we need the proper recordings of his other 2 symphonies (1 & 3).

"Proper" or not, recordings of Eller's 3 Symphonies are available in the Estonian Downloads section at the Art Music Forum.  Frankly, they are not among Eller's strongest works in my estimation, - but hear for yourself.

vandermolen

Quote from: J on October 07, 2019, 08:35:26 AM
"Proper" or not, recordings of Eller's 3 Symphonies are available in the Estonian Downloads section at the Art Music Forum.  Frankly, they are not among Eller's strongest works in my estimation, - but hear for yourself.
Good to know. Thanks.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J

Quote from: vandermolen on October 07, 2019, 01:03:35 PM
Good to know. Thanks.

Though the link might be dead now, Colin (Dundonnell, - the Moderator) has been known to repost downloads in that event when requested.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: J on October 07, 2019, 08:35:26 AM

I remember downloading many works from that great forum, and IIRC the sound quality of the Eller recordings is just poor. Anyway, thanks for the piece of advice. On YouTube there is a recording of the 1st Symphony in rather good sound quality, but I'm ashamed to say I haven't tried it yet.

vandermolen

Quote from: J on October 07, 2019, 04:45:28 PM
Though the link might be dead now, Colin (Dundonnell, - the Moderator) has been known to repost downloads in that event when requested.
Ok many thanks Greg.

PS I just listened to Symphony No.1 'In Modo Mixolydio' (1936) on You Tube and really enjoyed it. You can hear his influence on Tubin and Raid. It is a powerful and inspiriting work with an eloquent slow movement, an impressive opening and something of a 'triumph against the odds' conclusion. I hope that Ondine record it as part of their Eller series:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=etBKv5SNjiE
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen