No more lurking!

Started by Lisanti, February 10, 2013, 09:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisanti

I've been coming here and just reading for a while, and finally decided it was time to join. So here I am! I like most types of classical music - music in general, really -  with a special fondness for Baroque and Prokofiev. And heavy metal.

I live in New Jersey, and so listen to WQXR when I don't have a CD on. My collection of music, while not enormous, brings me great pleasure, and my wish list at ArchivMusic is frighteningly long. I hope to be able to contribute to the discussions here; I don't have the knowledge that many of you have, but I enjoy learning about things that are new to me.

Joan

bhodges

Baroque, Prokofiev and heavy metal - now that's a portfolio. Welcome, Joan, and hope you have a good time here!

--Bruce

mc ukrneal

Welcome and enjoy! I must agree with my colleague before me - heck of a combo (metal/baroque/Prokofiev).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brahmsian

Fafner

Hey, warm welcome from another heavy metal fan here.   >:D

I hope you find the company as friendly and informative as I have. Have a good time!

Jiri
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

North Star

Welcome, Joan!
Baroque, Prokofiev, and Heavy Metal, eh? All of those are very dear to me, too!

Karlo
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Lisztianwagner

Welcome to the forum, I hope you will have a nice time here! :)

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

mahler10th

Papy Oli

Olivier

Lisanti

Thank you all for your welcome! I'm glad to see other label-crossers here.

Joan

Cato

Quote from: Lisanti on February 10, 2013, 01:49:02 PM
Thank you all for your welcome! I'm glad to see other label-crossers here.

Joan

A lady!  And... from New Joisey!   :laugh: 

One of my colleagues is from New Jersey, and says that only "certain types" use "Joisey" for "Jersey."   ;)

So what do you mean by Heavy Metal?  Varese or Lou Harrison or Def Leppard or Icelandic Cannibal Death Titanium ?   8)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

North Star

Quote from: Cato on February 10, 2013, 02:45:08 PM
So what do you mean by Heavy Metal?  Varese or Lou Harrison or Def Leppard or Icelandic Cannibal Death Titanium ?   8)

Varese...  :P
I, too, would be interested in more specific info on this.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Lisanti

Hmmm, let's see - Iron Maiden is my choice of the big three or four, I very much like The Sword, Tyr,, Blind Guardian, Sabaton, some Dimmu Borgir, Helloween, Avantasia, for a change of pace, A7X if you consider them metal; I had the great pleasure of seeing Alice Cooper open for Maiden this past summer, and it was an amazing show. There are more I like and have downloaded (legally!), but those are the bands for which I'll go and find the CDs. What about you? Who gets played the loudest?

Cato

Quote from: Lisanti on February 10, 2013, 03:06:11 PM
Who gets played the loudest?

Dudette!  Come on!  Everybody pumps up the volume to ELEVEN!!!

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Lisanti

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

SonicMan46

Hi Joan - welcome to the forum! :)

My wife was born in New Jersey (Newark - moved to Short Hills as a young teenager) - hope that your enjoy - Dave

Lisanti

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 10, 2013, 03:30:29 PM
Tchaikovsky! :)

If the 1812 Overture isn't the heavy metal of classical music, I don't know what is. Ages ago, I had a set of 8-track tapes (!) of the Greatest Hits of Classical Music, and one of the tapes was the 1812, the Flying Dutchman, Barber of Seville, Blue Danube - it was a WHOLE lot of fun to drive to.

Lisanti

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 10, 2013, 03:33:25 PM
Hi Joan - welcome to the forum! :)

My wife was born in New Jersey (Newark - moved to Short Hills as a young teenager) - hope that your enjoy - Dave

I'm a town away from Newark, and my husband lived there until he was 8 or so. I grew up down the shore, so North Jersey is still, after all these years, still pretty weird to me. Please tell your wife hi from another Jersey girl, and thanks for your welcome.

JOan

Brahmsian

Quote from: Lisanti on February 10, 2013, 03:53:59 PM
If the 1812 Overture isn't the heavy metal of classical music, I don't know what is.

True, here are a few more 'heavy metal' classical home runs (IMO):

Wagner - Die Walkure - Prelude to Act I

Shostakovich - Symphony No. 10 - II. mvt. or Symphony No. 8 - 3rd mvt.

Brahms - String Quartet No. 1 - The coda to the opening movement.  Metal riff, all the way.

You know, I was into heavy metal too when I was younger.  It seems to be a natural transition going from metal to classical.  I know that may sound weird to some, but it just seems to be a fairly common thing.