What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dungeon Master

This thread is the continuation of the old WAYLT tread. That thread had to be shut down as its 6000+ posts were causing server problems.

Please continue posting your listening habits here.

TheGSMoeller

listener

still in the lps
HANDEL: Dettingen Te Deum
South German Madrigal Choir, SW German Chamber Orch.  Wolfgang Gönnenwein, cond.
not period instruments, but it sounds right .
ZELLER: Der Vogelhändler   highlights
Anneliese Rothenberger, Gisela Litz, Gerhard Unger..., SAT 
Vienna Volksoper Chorus, Vienna Symphony Orch.  Willi Boskovsky, cond.
MARTINU: The Epic of Gilgalmesh
Czech Philharmonic Chorus    Prague Symphony Orch.,   Jiři Bělohlávek, cond.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Sergeant Rock

Bogey asked:

QuoteYour impressions of Chris's take, Sarge?

Wimpy  :D ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

John Copeland

4rth!!   :(

Ransgstrom
Symphony 2
Jurowski
Norrköping Symphony Orchestra

;D

Que

Rob, I am happy that the problemes with the forum have been resolved and that it turned out to be something pretty harmless as our abundant listening habits! :D

This morning I'm enjoying my latest and last Lassus by Herreweghe:

[asin]B001BLP64C[/asin]

Which is really drop-dead gorgeous - words fail to express it.

The down side of having so much vocal splendor from the ages on the shelves, is that you somehow get used to so much utter beauty....
Something I try not to (probably to no avail) - these are wonders of the human mind and the result of incredible effort on part of the composer and the performers.
I can only marvel and be grateful for the experience...

Q

springrite

Nice to be on Page One of WAYLT!

Now:
Elgar Piano Quintet (HYPERION)

What a great work!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Octave

Quote from: Que on February 15, 2013, 11:19:27 PM
This morning I'm enjoying my latest and last Lassus by Herreweghe:

[asin]B001BLP64C[/asin]

Which is really drop-dead gorgeous - words fail to express it.

The down side of having so much vocal splendor from the ages on the shelves, is that you somehow get used to so much utter beauty....
Something I try not to (probably to no avail) - these are wonders of the human mind and the result of incredible effort on part of the composer and the performers.
I can only marvel and be grateful for the experience...

Q

Indeed, I can only strongly second your emotion in general here, and also echo your love of this Lassus/Herreweghe.  I just listened to it a couple weeks ago and was floored by it.  I also really enjoyed this other Lassus/Herreweghe, which I see is available via Amazon MP-USA for $7 including shipping:

[asin]B001KALT68[/asin]

Sorry to be a shill!   >:D
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Three Sonatas for the Piano Forte, opus 50, dedicated to Luigi Cherubini.

Instrument: Clementi c. 1826, Edwin Beunk Collection, Enschede. a'=430 Hz.

Que

Quote from: Octave on February 15, 2013, 11:40:56 PM
Indeed, I can only strongly second your emotion in general here, and also echo your love of this Lassus/Herreweghe.  I just listened to it a couple weeks ago and was floored by it.  I also really enjoyed this other Lassus/Herreweghe, which I see is available via Amazon MP-USA for $7 including shipping:

[asin]B001KALT68[/asin]

Sorry to be a shill!   >:D

That is the recording that got me started! :)

I've been extremely lucky to be able to gather all of Herreweghe's Lasus recordings - there were some very hard to get items, like the Psalmi Davidis Pœnitentiales and the Lagrime di San Pietro.

Q

Que

Quote from: Harry on February 15, 2013, 11:42:05 PM
Three Sonatas for the Piano Forte, opus 50, dedicated to Luigi Cherubini.

Instrument: Clementi c. 1826, Edwin Beunk Collection, Enschede. a'=430 Hz.

Ah, you got the last installment! :)

Of course I knew it was going to happen, but the sight of the simultaneously issued neat, slim and cheap (well, if you buy it from jpc, at least) complete set did gave me an itch of dissatisfaction... :(

[asin]B008GAXUW6[/asin]

Anyway, anyone late to the party and with an interest in keyboard music form the Classical era and should investigate post-haste! :)

Q

Quote from: Que on February 16, 2013, 12:06:41 AM
Ah, you got the last installment! :)

Of course I knew it was going to happen, but the sight of the simultaneously issued neat, slim and cheap (well, if you buy it from jpc, at least) complete set did gave me an itch of dissatisfaction... :(

[asin]B008GAXUW6[/asin]

Anyway, anyone late to the party and with an interest in keyboard music form the Classical era and should investigate post-haste! :)

Q

Next time with another composer, I wait until it is complete, and then buy it. Volume 6 is a big box again, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Fafner

Good morning!

Aaah, the fresh smell of a brand new thread...

CD 1 of this set:

[asin]B00003ZKRM[/asin]

Hallé Orchestra, Sir John Barbirolli
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

The new erato

Now into the first movement. I like Soviet symphonies with chir/soloists; and this seems very good:

[asin]B00ARL9OVS[/asin]

PS Need that Lassus disc, just need to dig through my piles of unlistened stuff so see whether I have bought it already.....

val

HÄNDEL:            "Giulio Cesare"                     / Concerto Köln, Rene Jacobs

A splendid version of one of the most inspired operas of Händel. Jacobs conducts with energy, the singers are good in special Barbara Schlick (Cleopatra) and Bernarda Fink (Cornelia). This is a complete version of the opera, even including the Aria that Händel composed in 1725 for the role of Nireno.

Quote from: The new erato on February 16, 2013, 12:18:50 AM
Now into the first movement. I like Soviet symphonies with chir/soloists; and this seems very good:

[asin]B00ARL9OVS[/asin]

Just because of the Choir and soloists I let this one pass my door, since I dislike this kind of composition.

This morning I needed some solace and what better as this fine disc of a unknown composer to me.

I love the artwork: Jean Etienne Liotard, 'Bildnis der Adelaide, lesend".

Conor71

Bach: Goldberg Variations, BWV 988

Got these 2 Bach recordings lined up to finish the day - First up Gould's 2nd go at the Goldberg Variations. It's probably the uncool one, I dont know? Anyway I like it a lot. Next up I will play Marie-Claire Alain's Art Of Fugue - I have a few versions of this work but this one is my favourite.

Que

I like both of Gould CBS studio recordings of the Goldbergs, the 2nd is definitely not uncool! :)

Anyway, after listening to this new acquisition - no minor treat for anyone into early (Italian) Baroque:

I switched to accompany my coffee with apple crumble pie an old favourite: Mozart's early "pastiche" concertos for harpsichord.

[asin]B000058BGW[/asin]

Q

jlaurson

Que's point about Mozart and Coffee is a good one,
so I grabbed the first Mozart disc that I could find among the piles of CDs strewn about.
Wasn't as easy as I thought... and after a few minutes of searching it turned out to be this one:

WAM + Michael Haydn
Duo Sonatas
Rachel Podger & Jane Rogers

Channel Classics SACD

German link - UK link

My memory was correct. Very classy stuff, but G#ddamn, what a boring album.

QuoteQuote from: Conor on February 16, 2013, 02:25:50 AM
.... First up Gould's 2nd go at the Goldberg Variations. It's probably the uncool one, I dont know? Anyway I like it a lot.

There is no uncool Bach recording. None.