What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turner

Haydn - selected sonatas, concertos / Ax, Entremont, LisztFerenc CO /sony 4 CD

Have tried several times & owned it for a long time, but this set is overall a bit too unengaged for my taste.

Btw, the Liszt Ferenc Orchestra did some OK recordings in their early days, but a lot of the later ones are really routinely, IMO.

Mandryka

A sequence of canzone francese from Trabaci Bk 1, played by Vartolo, some on organ and some on harpsichord, the performances and the music may be a high point of BK 1, well worth hearing.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: Que on November 14, 2017, 08:37:51 AM
Harry, fortunately the repertoire on the recordings by Singer Pur (Modulationes sex vocum (1566)) and by Ensemble Plus Ultra (Canticum Canticorum Salomonis (1549) & selected motets) does not overlap, apart from the motet Pater noster - Ave Maria.

Which makes both recordings complentary.  :)

Q

Yes you are right. I wanted to compare the style of singing. Will correct this tomorrow.
Thank you for telling me.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Quote from: Harry's corner on November 14, 2017, 09:01:00 AM
Yes you are right. I wanted to compare the style of singing. Will correct this tomorrow.
Thank you for telling me.

I fully agree with you on the differences in the style of singing.
Though I don't think I have a clear preference... perhaps ever so slighly leaning towards the "cleaner" style of Singer Pur. :)

Q

SonicMan46

Fretwork - CDs 1 & 2 at the moment, but will listen to the remainder over the next day or two - Dave :)

North Star

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 14, 2017, 09:34:54 AM
Fretwork - CDs 1 & 2 at the moment, but will listen to the remainder over the next day or two - Dave :)

If ever there was a set that needed to be reissued, that's it.

Thread-duty

Martinů
Symphony No. 6, H. 343 'Fantaisies symphoniques'
BBCSO
Jirí Belohlávek

[asin]B004Y9DFN2[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

San Antone

Went from Granados to Medtner - Geoffrey Tozer, piano

LKB

Quote from: Florestan on November 14, 2017, 04:54:02 AM

...does anyone know of a (good) recording of his (Reichardt, that is  :laugh: ) songs? TIA.

Disclaimer: l am not familiar with the recording linked below, so l cannot offer it with any sort of personal recommendation.

Having said that, l would note that even past his prime, DF-D at times had considerably more to offer than other baritones of his day. So, this might be worth consideration:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=37947

Regards,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

North Star

JS Bach
Sonatas for obbligato harpsichord & violin nos. 1, 5 & 6
Chiara Banchini (vn) & Jörg-Andreas Bötticher

[asin]B0072A4HS2[/asin]

My photographs on Flickr

San Antone

San Antone

San Antone

Mahlerian

Earlier, I meant iambic rhythms, not dactylic.  I blame it on the fever.  And that's it for the correction that no one was anticipating or cares about at all...

Haydn: Symphony No. 87 in A
New York Philharmonic, cond. Bernstein
[asin]B001TKK39S[/asin]

Stravinsky: Pulcinella (complete ballet)
Ensemble Intercontemporain, cond. Boulez
[asin]B00QFVL1PG[/asin]
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

kyjo

Atterberg's VC:

[asin]B000EBEGSC[/asin]

This hyper-romantic concerto is given a superb performance by Ulf Wallin and the Rudfunk-Sinfonieorchester Berlin under Roger Epple. The work's quiet coda is particularly beautiful, even if the very ending is strangely abrupt.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

SonicMan46

Quote from: North Star on November 14, 2017, 09:42:54 AM
If ever there was a set that needed to be reissued, that's it.  RE: Fretwork - 5 CD set

Just curious about availability - checked Amazon USA - available on the MP, $40 for a used set & $100 for a 'new' one.  So, looked up my Amazon purchase order which was back in August 2009 - $15 as shown below - really a bargain when still 'in print'!  Dave :)