Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: HIPster on November 20, 2017, 06:56:14 AM
A second listen to this recent purchase ~

[asin]B000LXSS5K[/asin]

Recommended by Harry:)

Thank you my friend!  ;)

A fantastic recording.
Good day, HIPster! Yes, a splendid recording indeed. I have it in this repackaging of three original discs - all good stuff. (the original jewel cases inside a cardboard box)
[asin]B013XHKH7M[/asin]

Thread duty
Beethoven (et al.)
Diabelli Variations
Staier

[asin]B006OW817C[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

bhodges

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 20, 2017, 07:45:02 AM
Sinfonietta La Jolla, H 328:

That's a lovely piece. I actually just heard it for the first time a few weeks ago -- at a dance concert! The Pennsylvania Ballet uses it in "Rush" (2003), choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon.

Anyway, it's delightful. I haven't heard this recording -- it actually might be the one they used (since the music was taped, not live).

--Bruce

Sergeant Rock

Schubert Piano Sonata A minor D.845 played by Badura-Skoda

https://www.youtube.com/v/SDL_KxtcjMs

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brewski on November 20, 2017, 08:07:45 AM
That's a lovely piece. I actually just heard it for the first time a few weeks ago -- at a dance concert! The Pennsylvania Ballet uses it in "Rush" (2003), choreographed by Christopher Wheeldon.

Anyway, it's delightful. I haven't heard this recording -- it actually might be the one they used (since the music was taped, not live).

--Bruce

Awesome, Bruce. There are several performances of Sinfonietta La Jolla that they could choose from. This particular one is my favorite performance of the work.

Mahlerian

Scriabin: Waltzes and Mazurkas
Maria Lettberg
[asin]B000W4E3OS[/asin]

Sibelius: Symphony No. 4 in A minor
Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, cond. Berglund
[asin]B0091JQH2Q[/asin]
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Todd on November 20, 2017, 05:40:49 AM

Love me some Liszt.  The Années are boss, of course, and so, too, are the Harmonies poétiques et religieuses.  I didn't feel like doing comparisons of all the complete sets, but the Bénédiction de Dieu dans la solitude seemed like a good work to work through.  In the best versions, it's moving and profound.

I decided to put those off for a while and start with Isidro Barrio's recording.  The biggest issues with this recording have to do with the close, dry sound compounding the aural unpleasantness caused by the out of tune piano, and some other recording artifacts (eg, low frequency noise, static).  The playing is generally pretty good, and Barrio, after a somewhat shaky start, produces some beautiful, contemplative music, with the repeated rolled chords rather delicate.  In the Andante, Barrio plays with a lovely, poetic style, which carries over into the beginning of the Piu sostenuto.  In this last section, as it builds up to the climax prior to the extended right hand run, the playing sounds less secure, and the piano a bit rough.  As Barrio executes his the right hand run, the playing is not the most even or precise or best articulated, but again, there's a poetic aspect to his playing that works well.  He plays the last portion of the work very slowly, with a contemplative coda. 

This is not a favorite version, but Barrio's generally poetic approach and his generous, spacious timing make one wonder what he might have been able to produce with better engineering and a better piano.

Yikes. I think I'll stick with Michael Korstick's version!

Mandryka

This Nachthelle from the Egidius Quartet / Schoonderwoerd here, it's interesting

https://www.youtube.com/v/ZfcF6m9wA4c
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mirror Image

7 Rhythmic Études for violin & piano, H 202 from this set:

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Spineur

CD 2&3 of this wonderful set

[asin]B015D441OI[/asin]

Incidently, 49€ on Amazon.de for 8CDs + a book 70pages×3 languages.  This should be in the super duper bargain thread.

Mirror Image

Listening to Shostakovich's Cello Sonata:

Todd

Disc three, Rossini-Respighi & Rimsky.

Marc

Jean Muller playing Beethoven's Piano Sonata in E Major, op. 109, one of my favourite pieces.

Energetic playing, yet without the depth that I prefer. The 2nd movement was very good, though. Piano sound was harsh, especially in the discant.
It's still funny that, after the fiery Prestissimo, I get so moved by the first bars of the Finale with those beautiful variations.

Bella Musica/Membran budget-price set, live recordings:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Jean-Muller/dp/B075V1DG83/?tag=goodmusicguid-21

Papy Oli

Good evening,

Op.96

[asin]B0043XCKJO[/asin]
Olivier

Josquin13

Quote from: San Antonio on November 20, 2017, 07:10:28 AM
Is this a different Le Tombeau than the one on her Alto Ravel recording?

If I may, yes it is. Stott's first recording of Le Tombeau de Couperin was made about a quarter of a century ago for the Conifer label, and was subsequently reissued by Alto (& Sony).  Her second recording was made for BIS (in 2015), and is very fine, with state of the art audiophile sound (hybrid SACD).  Which is not to say that her Conifer French recordings aren't worthwhile too.  Stott's Debussy L'Isle joyeuse on Conifer, for instance, is one of the finest, most listenable versions I've heard of that work (& it's not normally one of my favorite works by Debussy).  I certainly hope she'll give us a complete set of Ravel or Debussy solo piano music one day.  If anyone's interested, Stott's "complete Conifer" recordings have been reissued in a bargain box set (by Sony):

[asin]B0129YCRLO[/asin]

Today, I listened to one of my favorite CDs of the music of Guillaume Dufay, from La Reverdie:

[asin]B002AHJUP2[/asin]

followed by Wilbert Hazelzet & Jacques Ogg performing works for flute by J.S. Bach:

[asin]B072R5PKQK[/asin]

LKB

Quote from: amw on November 19, 2017, 08:04:16 PM
Symphony No. 2 by a composer named Agustín González Acilu.

Does anyone have any idea who this is or what he did? It's not a bad symphony, well put together off a little bombastic, very Generacion del '51 stuff but probably closer to Luís de Pablo than Cristóbal Halffter.

There's a Wikipedia article in Spanish. Also:

https://thebiography.us/en/gonzalez-acilu-agustin

Cheers,

LKB
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

SymphonicAddict

One of the best recordings about Holst's works. Stunning!!

Sergeant Rock

Martinů Symphony No.4 (1945), Thomson conducting the Royal Scottish National

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Todd