What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

You did it

kyjo

Arnold's Guitar Concerto:

[asin]B00005IA6C[/asin]

Really enjoyable stuff! The first movement features one of Arnold's most beautiful melodies as its secondary theme. The extended slow movement moves into darker territory with its mysterious, bluesy harmonies.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Martinu's Cello Sonata no. 1:

All I can say is...wow! I was completely bowled over by this powerful work! It certainly helps that it's given such a no-holds-barred performance as it is here by Isserlis and Mustonen.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

SimonNZ

Einojuhani Rautavaara's Vigilia (All-Night Vigil in Memory of St. John the Baptist) - Ingrid Roose, cond:

Live: 2 November 2017, St Nicolas Church (Niguliste Museum), Tallinn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQEUHWr7o_o

Que

Morning listening:

[asin]B0000060D7[/asin]
Gorgeous!  :)

Q

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Que on November 23, 2017, 09:55:38 PM
Morning listening:

[asin]B0000060D7[/asin]
Gorgeous!  :)

Q

If you're familiar with it, how does this compare with Savall's Hume?  I love that disk...

TD:
  Neither this composer nor conductor get much love around here ;).  I like this quite a lot, personally. Regarding the cover, it seems to me it would be hard to make something that bad without actually trying...

[asin]B0000006YF[/asin]
It's all good...

You did it

Frank Zappa - Sinister Footwear (ballet for orchestra)

You did it

Zappa - The Yellow Shark (A program of various pieces for mixed ensembles, including wind quintets and string quartets!)

Mookalafalas

Cello and guitar duets. Recommended.

[asin]B002K9C0NO[/asin]
It's all good...

You did it

Stockhausen - Gruppen

A masterpiece in space, both aesthetically and physically  8)

You did it

My other favorite 20th century mass, from Stravinsky:

This one nearly makes me teary, so I'm in for it  ???

Madiel

Barber

Four Songs, op.13 (including "Sure on This Shining Night" and "Nocturne")

[asin]B00005V8YT[/asin]
Violin Concerto, op.14

[asin]B00005B5NO[/asin]
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: ørfeo on November 23, 2017, 01:16:00 PM
This isn't the first time you've expressed this, but I do always find it a little amusing that you consider Nielsen to still be finding his footing 20 years into his career. I do understand why, but it's kind of funny when, by the time of the 3rd Symphony and Violin Concerto we're talking about a man in his mid-40s.

This is what you get with my increased chronological awareness...

Thanks for the reminder.  And no, not at all like L'oiseau de feu, then  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Having heard positive things about this set multiple times here, I just listened to Une barque sur l'océan...

[asin]B017TBVQL4[/asin]
And was left completely unmoved.

Alborada del gracioso works better with Chamayou's sense of propulsion. But I'm still not all that excited.

*switches tracks*

Okay, Le Gibet has something.

Still, I don't think I'm going to be rushing out to add this to my Pascal Roge set.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Todd

Roberto Plano's take on the Benediction.  Plano takes a fairly broad approach at just over eighteen minutes.  He starts the Moderato slowly but then picks up the pace slowly and almost imperceptibly.  The rolled chords are bright and vary in volume, never sounding overbearing, and Plano takes full advantage of the Fazioli in building up to a massive but perfectly controlled climax that envelopes the listener, and his playing afterward, right through to the Andante, sounds ethereal.  Plano lets the Moderato fade away before starting in on the Andante, in which he lets melody dominate, and much of the accompaniment is gently but clearly dispatched.  The transition to the Piu sostenuto is handled very well indeed, with the pause of just the right length, and then his playing assumes a most attractive clarity and steadiness, almost making the music sound fugal.  The return of the rolled chords are alternatively to the fore and subdued, and once again Plano builds up to a powerful but controlled climax, followed by right hand playing that almost mimics water effects in some other famous pieces.  He then fades away to the coda with contemplative playing.

To call the sound SOTA is to understate its quality.  The Fazioli sounds absolutely beautiful.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

HIPster

J.S. Bach harpsichord concertos
Egarr/AAM

[asin]B00005UEQ1[/asin]

Have not played this in some time.  Beautiful interpretations by Richard Egarr and the Academy.  :)

This amazon review sums it up nicely:

Bach's keyboard concertos--some original compositions, others adapted from the Brandenburgs or string concertos--herald the genesis of the modern keyboard concerto as we know it, a genre later picked up and perfected by his son J.C. Bach. Until these stunning works were written, the harpsichord was used either as a continuo instrument or simply in a solo or chamber context. One reason for this is that the harpsichord doesn't possess the volume to cope with a sizable orchestra as a solo force. Richard Egarr knows this limitation, but he doesn't bestow any more amplification on his harpsichord than on the strings and wind. Fair enough, but there are a few frustrating moments when the primary, solo writing is sometimes lost beneath the less important orchestral counterpoint in the outer movements. That said, the balance in the slower movements works well due to the thinner textures, and overall the tempi are beautifully judged without the extreme speeds so often found in "authentic" performances. The phrasing and articulation are also well thought through, and these intimate performances display a joie de vivre lacking in most other recordings. Superb playing throughout. --Oliver Condy
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Vinbrulé

Beautiful instrument. It's the first thing that strikes you !!
Years ago I fell in love with Moroney's Kunst der Fuge, with the last Contrapunctus completed by him.
Some agogic oddities (IMHO) , easily metabolized the second time you listen the disc.  Happiness !

kyjo

Quote from: Mookalafalas on November 23, 2017, 10:57:48 PM
TD:
  Neither this composer nor conductor get much love around here ;).  I like this quite a lot, personally. Regarding the cover, it seems to me it would be hard to make something that bad without actually trying...

[asin]B0000006YF[/asin]

Pounds the table! Hanson gets plenty of love around here from me, at least :) Fortunately, Naxos has reissued Schwarz's Hanson recordings with much better cover art!