What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malx

The two discs of this twofer between yesterday evening and tonight.

TheGSMoeller

Trois Couleurs: Bleu original soundtrack
Zbigniew Preisner

André

Well-known and little-known works by Schumann. I like Ciocarlie's way with the composer, catching both his serious and his unpretentious sides.

Zeus

Portrait of the Artist as a Starved Dog
Graindelavoix, Björn Schmelzer
Glossa

[asin] B075MR91KK[/asin]

Not sure what I've gotten myself into.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

GioCar

Romitelli: Audiodrome - Dead City Radio

[asin]B000TLA974[/asin]
A truly energetic way to wake up on Sunday morning.

Daverz

Two very impressive concertos by Saygun

the Cello Concerto

[asin] B000YPW5IG[/asin]

and the Violin Concerto

[asin] B0009JVOJI[/asin]

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/7937880--saygun-symphony-no-4-op-53-etc

And closing the evening with a charming Violin Sonata in B-flat major by Eberl.  Definitely investigate if you love early Beethoven.

[asin] B077MT9GYG[/asin]

Harry

Quote from: Bubbles on July 21, 2018, 07:15:55 PM
Portrait of the Artist as a Starved Dog
Graindelavoix, Björn Schmelzer
Glossa

[asin] B075MR91KK[/asin]

Not sure what I've gotten myself into.

One of the best productions of Graindelavoix!
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Que

Morning listening is volume IV of the Leiden Choirbooks:

[asin]B00CHFOCNW[/asin]
This volume consists entirely of 4 and 5-part motets in a mix of famous and unfamiliar names: Thomas Crecquillon, Johannes Lupi (Jean Leleu), Johannes Richafort, Nicolas Payen, Ciprianus de Rore, Johannes Flammingus, Eustacius Barbion, Jacobus Clemens non Papa, Franciscus IJsenbaert and Philippe Verdelot.

Amazon review by Stephen Midgley

Q

PS I'm not posting an image of the entire set anymore, since it has ran OOP.

Que

Quote from: "Harry" on July 21, 2018, 09:42:07 PM
One of the best productions of Graindelavoix!

So, if (when) I will try them, I should start with that disc.  :)

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 21, 2018, 12:40:11 PM
This is a transcription for four celli of most of Bach's Orgelbüchlein.

Well, sometimes I think the most important purpose of transcriptions is to make it possible for other musicians to play the music, particularly when the transcription (or performance) adds so little of interest compared to the original as here. And these four musicians go wrong with the affects of the pieces in question very often, and little by little some disturbing sameness also sneaks in. The style of playing is a bit oldfashioned. I am afraid that there was very little for me to enjoy.

I'm listening to 622 now, it's very good, and I'd say revealing.

More generally,  I like the idea in fact, the idea of playing it with four naturally singing, voice-like instrument with the same basic tonality, and all that brings to the music in terms of phrasing. I'm reminded of this comment that Marie Claire Alain made in the context of a discussion about AoF

QuoteFor the 18th century composer the same piece passed indiscriminately from the keyboard to the bow. The organist must consider the possible bowings in his search for the correct phrasing, while the violinist (or singer) is often obliged to consult the keyboard.

For me the biggest problem was the lack of interesting transitions from one piece to the other, lots of short pieces separated by silences, the effect becomes eventually irritating.

(By the way, it's a very strong comment that, by Alain, when she says "passed indiscriminately from the keyboard to the bow" She surely can't be right about all keyboard music, can she?  But she may be right about organ music. )
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Harry

Quote from: Que on July 21, 2018, 10:56:27 PM
So, if (when) I will try them, I should start with that disc.  :)

Q

Sampling is always a wise move. My taste is not necessarily your cup of tea. But yes it is a good disc to start with, although many members will disagree.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 21, 2018, 11:03:41 PM
I'm listening to 622 now, it's very good, and I'd say revealing.

More generally,  I like the idea in fact, the idea of playing it with four naturally singing, voice-like instrument with the same basic tonality, and all that brings to the music in terms of phrasing. I'm reminded of this comment that Marie Claire Alain made in the context of a discussion about AoF

For me the biggest problem was the lack of interesting transitions from one piece to the other, lots of short pieces separated by silences, the effect becomes eventually irritating.

(By the way, it's a very strong comment that, by Alain, when she says "passed indiscriminately from the keyboard to the bow" She surely can't be right about all keyboard music, can she?  But she may be right about organ music. )

To display the delicate affects of Bach's organ chorale preludes is not only a question of phrasing (and articulation) but just as much a question of balance and timbre. On the organ with two manuals and pedal you can give each part its own (for the affect) suitable timbre and thereby also decide the balance of the parts. All this is corrupted in the cello version, which appears just like a plate with undefined cello soup. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on July 22, 2018, 12:07:09 AM
To display the delicate affects of Bach's organ chorale preludes is not only a question of phrasing (and articulation) but just as much a question of balance and timbre. On the organ with two manuals and pedal you can give each part its own (for the affect) suitable timbre and thereby also decide the balance of the parts. All this is corrupted in the cello version, which appears just like a plate with undefined cello soup.

I've been listening just now to this, which contains some things from the orgelbuchlein, and the same consistency of texture applies

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Further listening with this new arrival:

Q

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 22, 2018, 12:39:49 AM
I've been listening just now to this, which contains some things from the orgelbuchlein, and the same consistency of texture applies

This is far better played (judged from clips), and the affects are better displayed, But still with a tendency to sameness.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Vivaldi: Concerti per fagotto, RV 475 & RV 494 [Azzolini]

aligreto

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 21, 2018, 05:21:12 PM
Trois Couleurs: Bleu original soundtrack
Zbigniew Preisner

Winderful film and music  8)