What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Mahlerian on July 22, 2018, 03:51:11 PM
Roger Sessions's later works (from the 50s on, I think?) use an adaptation of dodecophonic technique, but he didn't see any sense in the term atonal and certainly didn't think of his own music that way.

Very good. You, as an expert on that matter, know the appropriate concept because I don't  ;)

Daverz

Quote from: André on July 21, 2018, 09:07:57 AM

The D minor in full cry.

Listening to this now on Tidal.  Beautiful piano playing, but Giulini's accompaniment seems a bit heavy to me.

This also seems to be in the Weissenberg Icon box:

[asin] B006MO0N6Y[/asin]

Also in the Warner/EMI's Carlo Maria Giulini - The Concerto Recordings box.

Hmmm, Fanfare has only ever reviewed the recording with Muti (also on EMI, and not well received). 

Zeus

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 22, 2018, 06:12:28 PM
A stupendous work, yet I haven't listened to that recording.

My take: Metamorphoseon is good; Ballata delle gnomidi is better; Belkis is best.

Oh and the sound is excellent!
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Bubbles on July 22, 2018, 06:32:37 PM
My take: Metamorphoseon is good; Ballata delle gnomidi is better; Belkis is best.

Oh and the sound is excellent!

Belkis is extremely high-spirited and life-affirming music which I love. Therefore I concur with you. I like Metamorphoseon more than Ballata, though. I definitely have to check out that recording.

SymphonicAddict

String quartets 6 and 7

Violin sonata Nr. 1 and Piano quartet Nr. 1

Que

schnittkease

As per mc ukrneal's prescription:

[asin]B00UOFCIKQ[/asin]

Christo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on July 22, 2018, 06:37:51 PM
Belkis is extremely high-spirited and life-affirming music which I love. Therefore I concur with you. I like Metamorphoseon more than Ballata, though. I definitely have to check out that recording.
I go for the third option: loving Metamorphoseon the most. :-) Heard this recording once, and think I still prefer the Chandos (Simon) recording. Both in any case much better than the one by Lopez-Cobos.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Metamorphoseon is one of my favourite works by Respighi. I like Geoffrey Simon's Respighi recordings - an underrated conductor.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Bubbles on July 22, 2018, 05:47:09 PM
Respighi: Metamorphoseon, etc
Orchestre Philharmonique Royal de Liège, John Neschling
BIS

[asin] B00YJLARW2[/asin]

Great collection of works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Despite Croatia knocking England out of the World Cup I decided to investigate the work of this Croatian composer and very good it is too. It is tonal and held my attention. The very catchy last movement of the Piano Concerto Three sounds like it is something by Gershwin. The wartime VC is darker but also lyrical. I have listened to the CD through about five times with much pleasure. A very nice discovery.
[asin]B01MZFABTB[/asin]

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2018, 01:38:26 AM
Despite Croatia knocking England out of the World Cup I decided to investigate the work of this Croatian composer and very good it is too. It is tonal and held my attention. The very catchy last movement of the Piano Concerto Three sounds like it is something by Gershwin. The wartime VC is darker but also lyrical. I have listened to the CD through about five times with much pleasure. A very nice discovery.
[asin]B01MZFABTB[/asin]

Love that PC3.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on July 23, 2018, 01:54:32 AM
Love that PC3.
:)

Tapiola - possibly the greatest performance on disc:
[asin]B000006KIO[/asin]
Love the photo of Sibelius.

Traverso

Les Percussions de Strasbourg

François-Bernard Mâche

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois-Bernard_M%C3%A2che
CD 14
Maraé
Aera
Khnoum
Le Printemps du Serpent

Another disc from this enjoyable set.

I particularly enjoyed the piece of Matalon ( CD 13 ) Le Scorpion,listen to this fragment if you like.

http://www.youtube.com/v/yxS8KeVFmiM

vandermolen

Rather in the spirit of Bloch's 'Voice in the Wilderness' and 'Schelomo':
[asin]B07C53MXML[/asin]

Harry

The Violoncello in the 17th Century. CD 12.

On this CD Anner Bijlsma and Lidewij Scheifes on Violoncello are partnering up with Bob van Asperen, on Harpsichord and Organ en deliver some virtuosic music from Girolamo Frescobaldi, Domenico Gabrielli, Giuseppe Maria Jacchini, and Giovanni Battista Degli Antonii. The synergy between all three is exemplary, and all is well recorded. I may not always be an admirer of Anner Bijlsma's style, but in this case I have enjoyed it very much.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2018, 04:41:07 AM
Rather in the spirit of Bloch's 'Voice in the Wilderness' and 'Schelomo':
[asin]B07C53MXML[/asin]

Heard an extract from this and it sounded wonderful!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Draško

Piano Quartet, beautiful piece with particularly fine, wistful slow movement.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Harry

Varietie of Lute Lessons
The Renaissance Lute.
Lutz Kirchhof, Lute.

CD 15.
Kirchhof is a robust Lute player, and one can not accuse him of subtleness in his interpretations. A bit rough and ready, and to little nuance in volume, makes it at times a bit boring. Some composers can carry the weight of this treatment, others not. Anthony Holborne and Robert Downland suffer most.. The sound is good, but as far as the music goes there are far better recordings.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."