What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeus

Hildegard: A Feather On the Breath of God
Emma Kirkby, Gothic Voices & Christopher Page
Hyperion

[asin] B000002ZGD[/asin]
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Harry

Quote from: Bubbles on July 23, 2018, 07:03:39 AM
Hildegard: A Feather On the Breath of God
Emma Kirkby, Gothic Voices & Christopher Page
Hyperion

[asin] B000002ZGD[/asin]

One of my favourite CD'S with Emma Kirkby, and the first CD I ever bought. :)
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

The day that I added Paul Juon and his music to my collection was really a blessing. I still add compositions of him if I find them, like recently, orchestral works. These SQ are a musical marvel for me. So strongly argued, and played with passion and a thorough conviction of its worth displayed by Sarastro Quartett. Their expression is exemplary and without blemishes. I played the opus 29 and 67, for the Fourth time, and still I am mesmerized.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

North Star

Shostakovich
Symphony no. 4 in c minor, Op. 43
Bavarian RSO
Jansons

[ASIN]B000G6BJS0[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on July 23, 2018, 05:24:07 AM
Heard an extract from this and it sounded wonderful!

It took me a couple of listens to fully appreciate it Kyle but it's possibly my favourite work by CT. I like 'The Prophets' VC as well. I like Bloch and Hollywood biblical epics so this is right up my street in a way although I wouldn't want anyone to think it is 'film music' there is more to it. I also liked some of the piano and cello arrangements on the CD. I was tempted to buy the CPO release with Hans Gal's Cello Concerto (written in an abandoned girls school in Scotland during the Second World War) but this version was much cheaper and I'm very happy that I bought it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on July 23, 2018, 08:24:11 AM
Shostakovich
Symphony no. 4 in c minor, Op. 43
Bavarian RSO
Jansons

[ASIN]B000G6BJS0[/asin]

I like the Janson's cycle very much.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Zeus

Quote from: "Harry" on July 23, 2018, 07:59:22 AM
One of my favourite CD'S with Emma Kirkby, and the first CD I ever bought. :)

It is a real pippin!  I had two Hildegard CDs before I got this one, and was luke-warm toward her.  This one was a revelation.
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Zeus

Cantigas De Santa Maria [Savall]
La Capella Reial de Catalunya, Hesperion XX, Jordi Savall
Astree / Naive

[asin] B073W2TGMR[/asin]

also

Cantigas de Santa María [Blažíková]
Hana Blažíková et al.
Phi

[asin] B011WH44TM[/asin]

Hardly an A-B comparison, but I prefer the Blazikova disc.  Heretical I know, but one gets tired of the Savall early-music rhythm section which seems to appear on practically every one of the dozen or so Savall discs I have (just kidding – except not entirely).

Blazikova's disc is maybe a bit new-agey, but it is more pleasurable to listen to.  Also one could argue that it is more in the proper spirit of the works – i.e. reverential.  JMHO FWIW YMMV.

Malx

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on July 22, 2018, 04:20:00 PM
Extremely impetuous at times...not for the faint of heart!

For me I can live with impetuosity, and a different slant on a piece rather than yet another dull predictable recording. 

North Star

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2018, 08:29:36 AM
I like the Janson's cycle very much.
Oh, me too, Jeffrey!. Haven't bothered with other recordings after getting it.

Thread-duty
Liszt
Première Année: Suisse, S. 160 (1855)
Daniel Grimwood (Erard, 1851)

Haydn
String Quartets, Op, 50/I & II
The London Haydn Quartet

[asin]B018GRO1EO[/asin]

Earlier today, Test-drive Tuesday

Schubert
36 Sechsunddreissig Originaltänze, D365
Jan Vermeulen (Streicher, 1825)
[asin]B00JDZK0CQ[/asin]

Tubin
Symphony No. 7 (1958)
Gothenburg Symphony
Järvi
[asin]B000079AZT[/asin]

Rautavaara
Concerto for Double Bass and Orchestra, 'Angel of Dusk' (1980)
Esko Laine (db)
Tapiola Sinfonietta
Jean-Jacques Kantorow

[asin]B002ED6VTA[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Daverz

Frank Martin: Mass for Double Choir

[asin] B07B12HXHZ[/asin]

[Long break...]

Papandopolu: Piano Concerto No. 2
[asin] B00L5TEMFE[/asin]

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Malx on July 23, 2018, 09:47:32 AM

For me I can live with impetuosity, and a different slant on a piece rather than yet another dull predictable recording.
So can I. I love her playing. Even amid the furor, she manages to bring out voices/lines that I haven't heard before.

ritter

Quote from: Draško on July 23, 2018, 05:29:53 AM

Piano Quartet, beautiful piece with particularly fine, wistful slow movement.
+1

I too was taken by that third movement, andante, when I listened to the piece some months ago. Reynaldo at his best IMHO.

Mandryka

Davitt Moroney plays Francois Couperin's 3rd Book. I like it very much.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mahlerian

Carter: Luimen
Speculum Musicae
[asin]B00005T5UW[/asin]

Gorgeous sonorities in this one; guitar, mandolin, and vibraphone lead a highly individuated, highly colored ensemble that sparkles like few others can.

Sessions: Duo for violin and piano
David Bowlin, David Holzman
[asin]B011QLB3N4[/asin]

Beethoven: Symphony No. 5 in C minor
Vienna Philharmonic, cond. Bernstein
[asin]B073VFGBFX[/asin]
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Kontrapunctus

Wonderful playing. The sound, while always good, varies, as the pieces were recorded in various locations and times.

André

From the EMI Icon box of Martinon recordings:

Very impressive works. Not a note is wasted. Quite a find IMO.

SymphonicAddict

Piano concerto Nr. 1

I had not listened to it for a long time. It sounds cool and refreshing.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: "Harry" on July 23, 2018, 08:04:15 AM
The day that I added Paul Juon and his music to my collection was really a blessing. I still add compositions of him if I find them, like recently, orchestral works. These SQ are a musical marvel for me. So strongly argued, and played with passion and a thorough conviction of its worth displayed by Sarastro Quartett. Their expression is exemplary and without blemishes. I played the opus 29 and 67, for the Fourth time, and still I am mesmerized.

You encourage me more and more. They must be great because of your praises.