Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 10578543 times)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #119240 on: August 05, 2018, 11:14:26 PM »
Sor: Fantaisie Elégiaque Op. 59 [Goluses]

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #119241 on: August 05, 2018, 11:25:43 PM »
Prokofiev, Symphony No.6

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #119242 on: August 06, 2018, 12:06:18 AM »
Haydn: Symphony No. 80
Rattle / BPO
From a live concert in June 2015

I purchased a 7-day ticket to the Berlin Phil digital concert hall. Mainly because I was in the mood to watch some live performances of Haydn, which I don't have many opportunities for.

Well played, sir!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #119243 on: August 06, 2018, 12:08:43 AM »

Schoenberg - Cello Concerto (after Monn's Concerto in D major for harpsichord):

This is such a delightfully weird, quirky work - I wonder how on earth Schoenberg came up with the idea to write a cello concerto based on a Baroque harpsichord concerto? It's quite tonal, with tastefully placed dissonances. My favorite aspect of the work is its brilliantly colorful and wacky percussion part - witness that bass drum thwack at the end of the first movement. There's really nothing else like this in the repertoire!  :D

Great fun!  Don't tell the people who are fond to believe that Schoenberg had no sense of humor  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

cilgwyn

« Reply #119244 on: August 06, 2018, 12:23:35 AM »
Some Pizzetti stuff:

Rondò Veneziano
Colourful, melodious and magnificently scored.

String quartet Nr. 1
Now, this is lovely! I saw somewhere it reminds of the Dvorák rustic airs. I have to agree with that statement.

And last but not least:

Canti della stagione alta
My absolute favorite work by Pizzetti. One of the loveliest scores I know, just intoxicatingly beautiful.
Waay! :) At last! Someone else who loves that piece! I thought I was the only one?!!! I remember a Gramophone critic giving it a really horrible review!! >:(

cilgwyn

« Reply #119245 on: August 06, 2018, 12:41:21 AM »
I'm beginning to wonder if this might be my favourite Arnold symphony?!! I didn't collect this until last,because of some of the controversy surrounding it,and I had some idea it could be very gloomy! After all that,I really like it. It's almost,wholly,introspective nature really appeals to me. It curls into the corners of your mind (as they say!) like no other Arnold symphony. In some ways I think it's the one Arnold symphony that gets anywhere near approaching the best of VW's symphonies. Not quite;but I'm very impressed,though. Far from a failure,I think Arnold's final symphony was a fine farewell to the form. Thank goodness he didn't end with No 8 (the weakest of the set,imho!). A pity he couldn't have been as philosophical as Havergal Brian;but people handle things in different ways. Allot of people would envy some of his achievements.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #119246 on: August 06, 2018, 12:55:27 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vRhDAl8FH5I" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vRhDAl8FH5I</a>
“I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts.”  --- Rachmaninoff

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #119247 on: August 06, 2018, 01:43:18 AM »
Vivaldi: Four Seasons [Marriner]

I have always liked Marriner’s interpretations of Vivaldi with its joy and sunshine. The music making here has good drive and forward momentum in each of the outer movements, positively sweeping along in places, with languid and atmospheric slow movements.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

cilgwyn

« Reply #119248 on: August 06, 2018, 01:50:50 AM »
Arrived here today! A bit out of season I know..........

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #119249 on: August 06, 2018, 01:55:14 AM »

In a sense, York Bowen might indeed be called an English Rachmaninoff: like the Russian's, his music is oftenly frowned upon by the cognoscenti for its unabashed tonality, impenitent Romanticism and supposed sentimentality --- and like the Russian's, it will forever remain popular with the great unwashed for whom a good tune caressing the soul is still worth more than a hundred experiments in coordinating music with acoustics.   ;D
“I compose music because I must give expression to my feelings, just as I talk because I must give utterance to my thoughts.”  --- Rachmaninoff

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #119250 on: August 06, 2018, 03:05:10 AM »

In a sense, York Bowen might indeed be called an English Rachmaninoff: like the Russian's, his music is oftenly frowned upon by the cognoscenti for its unabashed tonality, impenitent Romanticism and supposed sentimentality --- and like the Russian's, it will forever remain popular with the great unwashed for whom a good tune caressing the soul is still worth more than a hundred experiments in coordinating music with acoustics.   ;D

I didn't know it was popular with anyone, let alone the great unwashed.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #119251 on: August 06, 2018, 03:14:40 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vRhDAl8FH5I" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vRhDAl8FH5I</a>

Unbelievable the way he plays the first movement cadenza.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #119252 on: August 06, 2018, 03:37:12 AM »
Nystroem: Symphony No. 4 [Andersson]

This is a first listen to this work for me and I really liked what I have heard. I like the musical language, the orchestration, the driving forward momentum of the music along with its inherent drama, tension and tone.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #119253 on: August 06, 2018, 03:40:21 AM »
Arrived here today! A bit out of season I know..........

Enjoy it  8)

It puts me in mind of a character in a film I watched recently who explained to someone that, when as a child she could not sleep, her mother would sing Christmas carols to her. This worked for the particular character. Worth bearing in mind for future reference - just in case.   ;D

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #119254 on: August 06, 2018, 03:44:49 AM »
Unbelievable the way he plays the first movement cadenza.

Unbelievably good or unbelievably bad?

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #119255 on: August 06, 2018, 03:51:49 AM »
I didn't know it was popular with anyone, let alone the great unwashed.

I am also doubtful that tonal, frankly Romantic and on the sentimental side, like Rachmaninoff quite maps onto art of the stature of Rachmaninoff's.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #119256 on: August 06, 2018, 03:56:48 AM »
I am also doubtful that tonal, frankly Romantic and on the sentimental side, like Rachmaninoff quite maps onto art of the stature of Rachmaninoff's.

I didn't say that nor implied it.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #119257 on: August 06, 2018, 04:07:31 AM »
Unbelievably good or unbelievably bad?

I enjoyed hearing it very much, except for one thing -- I don't like it when he plays very loud, it could just be the sound quality.

Traverso

« Reply #119258 on: August 06, 2018, 04:09:10 AM »
Bach

CD 1

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #119259 on: August 06, 2018, 04:13:49 AM »

I enjoyed hearing it very much, except for one thing -- I don't like it when he plays very loud, it could just be the sound quality.

Thanks for clarifying.