What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on August 07, 2018, 04:42:44 AM

Bach's music seems to me to be often an expression of confidence and joy in the nobility of the human condition, though this may just be a reflection of the performances I enjoy. I'm listening right now to the 5th keyboard partita, which is a good example I think.

Indeed,that is also my experience. His music is like a comforting father (kind of Rabbi ) :)

Wakefield

Quote from: Mandryka on August 07, 2018, 04:42:44 AM

Bach's music seems to me to be often an expression of confidence and joy in the nobility of the human condition, though this may just be a reflection of the performances I enjoy. I'm listening right now to the 5th keyboard partita, which is a good example I think.

Yes, as a process of "sublimation." It's what I'm saying. Bach's life wasn't a bed of roses at all; on the contrary, it was more like one tragedy after another. If you don't believe it, just consider the number of his sons untimely dead.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Quote from: "Harry" on August 07, 2018, 04:01:39 AM
Well normally I do not talk about it.
I learned to play on it, and still do on occasion, mostly on small and old instruments.
I am part of a group that regularly goes around in the province, to keep the organs in playing condition.
Many of them are not played on, if not by us.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gordo on August 07, 2018, 04:31:22 AM
I would never discard a thought just for being prosaic.

Nor I.  I discarded it because it flies in the face of my experience:  I am a reasonably happy man, and I compose a great deal.  Rather than my happiness being an occupation which vies for attention to composing, it is part of the engine.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

A first listen:

Koechlin
La buisson ardent, Opp. 203 & 171

[asin]B07574QX4Y[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mookalafalas

Speaking of Bach, I've loaded my disk carousel with alternating disks of Bach Cantatas and early Mozart symphonies from this:
[asin]B01G3LLDH8[/asin]

Very pleasant and lazy day.
It's all good...

André

Symphonies 1 and 2, piano concertos 1 and 2, and the Konzertstück for piano and orchestra. The first symphony and the Konzertstück are works of stature, the rest less so. I found the Marriner led performances very engaging.

Madiel

Finally acting on further curiosity and streaming...

Nørgård  Viola Concerto No.1 "Remembering Child" (1986)

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Maestro267

Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major ("Eroica")
Philadelphia Orchestra/Muti

Bantock: Fifine at the Fair
Royal PO/Handley

Traverso

Bach

Weltliche Kantaten BMW 30a & 207

Karl Henning

Quote from: Maestro267 on August 07, 2018, 05:39:13 AM
Beethoven: Symphony No. 3 in E flat major ("Eroica")
Philadelphia Orchestra/Muti

Good?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mahlerian

Bartok: Violin Sonata No. 2
Isabelle Faust, Florent Boffard
[asin]B0031B7ESG[/asin]

An excellent rendition of a work that presents all kinds of technical and interpretive challenges.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Karl Henning

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 07, 2018, 05:30:23 AM
A first listen:

Koechlin
La buisson ardent, Opp. 203 & 171

[asin]B07574QX4Y[/asin]

Well, another exquisite work.

Dang.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Had forgotten all about the presence of this composer in my collection. A pleasant (re)discovery, playing sonatas from Op.37.

[asin]B004MRX888[/asin]
Olivier

André

Clementi is a composer that unfailingly holds my interest. Whenever I put it on, I think « hey, this is good ».

cilgwyn

I've listened to the Symphony and the  Tragic Overture. I've got as far as the Academic Festival Overture,now! I'm going to listen to Karajan conducting the 1st,next.

SonicMan46

Some recent acquisitions for the afternoon:

Bach, JS - Goldberg Variations on clavichord(s) w/ Michael Tsalka - review attached; need to compare to my Tuma recording.

Krommer, Franz - Symphonies & Flute Quintets w/ the conductor and performers on the cover art below - reviews of the symphony discs also attached for those interested - Dave :)

cilgwyn

Karajan conducting this symphony on a s/h Dg Galleria cd!

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 06, 2018, 04:59:40 PM

Symphony Nr. 4 Sinfonia Lirica

The maiden among its sisters. It should be also called Pastoral.

Has the most beautiful opening of any Tubin symphony I think. Interesting cover photo of Tubin about to step into a partially submerged boat!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Zeus

First listen:

[asin] B0053SQSNM[/asin]

Ciconia: Opera omnia
La Morra
Ricercar
"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)