What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Now I'm hearing a work by Koch. Not Erland but Sigurd von Koch's Piano Quintet in F major:

An impressive piece as it goes. The 2nd movement is playing (Lento lugubre). At the beginning doesn't appear as lugubrious as the tempo indication shows. It becomes more dramatic while advancing.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: André on August 12, 2018, 07:46:15 PM

The first 3 works on the disc are very impressive. I had never heard anything from Moncada and Ibarra, but their first symphony are superb. The last 2 items are more modern in sound but also less substantive. A surprisingly interesting disc.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear on Spotify  :(

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on August 12, 2018, 06:02:36 PM

Larsson - Little Serenade for strings:

[asin]B0000016FV[/asin]

Larsson was a master of cheerful, compact, direct music. This Serenade is no exception, and boasts a lovely slow movement of no little depth.

I'm a firm admirer of Larsson. His music is so sprightly as you say.

Madiel

Dabbling in Brahms vocal works.

4 Duets, op.61

[asin]B01NAYO4EA[/asin]
7 Choral Lieder, op.62

[asin]B0031B7ERW[/asin]
9 Lieder, op.63

[asin]B0000012Y7[/asin]
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

vandermolen

Flagello - Serenata per Orchestra:

[asin]B0000049OA[/asin]

Flagello is a composer I need to explore further. This Serenata is an enjoyable work in a neo-Baroque style with neo-Romantic inflections.

Larsson - Little Serenade for strings:

[asin]B0000016FV[/asin]

Larsson was a master of cheerful, compact, direct music. This Serenade is no exception, and boasts a lovely slow movement of no little depth.

von Koch - Symphony no. 3:

[asin]B0172MIBXG[/asin]

Erland von Koch is a composer I put on my "to-explore" list after being blown away by his Impulsi Trilogy. This symphony did not disappoint. It's a compact, wholly accessible work that is characterized by ear-catching orchestration and folk-inflected rhythms. I hope BIS goes on to record more of his music!

Jongen - Harp Concerto:

[asin]B00NTDSN8Q[/asin]

Yet another gorgeous harp concerto which, like those by Alwyn, Dohnanyi, and Gliere, was composed right in the conflict-torn middle of the 20th century, but you'd hardly guess. It radiates sunshine and a positive spirit.

Miaskovsky - Cello Concerto:

[asin]B000006320[/asin]

This deeply elegiac concerto from 1944-45 is one of the only Russian Romantic cello concertos I know of - besides Tchaikovsky's Rococo Variations (which barely counts) and Bortkiewicz's not-yet-commerically-recorded concerto. Contrary to the Prokofiev with which it is coupled on this disc, the Miaskovsky is a decidedly un-virtuosic concerto - instead, the focus is on the soloist singing endlessly long, lyrical lines. The opening movement possesses a haunting, melancholy, wintry beauty from beginning to end. The more exuberant (but still often melancholic) second movement is more intermittently inspired - that is, until the opening of the concerto is reprised and the concerto ends in a glow of peaceful resignation. Truls Mørk gives a deeply eloquent and musical performance that does by no means pale in comparison to the famed Rostropovich recording.
I also admire the Koch Symphony 3 greatly.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

'Pour Les Funerailles d'un Soldat':
[asin]B000026BMT[/asin]
Heard live in London last night.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

Christo

von Koch - Symphony no. 3:

[asin]B0172MIBXG[/asin]

Erland von Koch is a composer I put on my "to-explore" list after being blown away by his Impulsi Trilogy. This symphony did not disappoint. It's a compact, wholly accessible work that is characterized by ear-catching orchestration and folk-inflected rhythms. I hope BIS goes on to record more of his music!
Was finally able to listen to it this Summer (on Spotify), while in Israel/Palestine, and completely agree. Von Koch is a fine composer and I hope to explore more.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Traverso

Karl Henning

Maiden-Listen Monday!

Koechlin
La loi de la jungle, Op.175
Berlin Radio Symphony
Zinman
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

André

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 12, 2018, 08:18:56 PM
Unfortunately, it doesn't appear on Spotify  :(

I bought it for a song at Amazon.ca. Still available at Amazon.ca and Amazon UK (but not .com)

ASIN number B0000045I7

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 13, 2018, 03:44:53 AM
'Pour Les Funerailles d'un Soldat':
[asin]B000026BMT[/asin]
Heard live in London last night.

I ought to check out more of Boulanger's music after being blown away by her Psalm 130 - have you heard it yet, Jeffrey?
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

Quote from: Christo on August 13, 2018, 05:40:10 AM
Was finally able to listen to it this Summer (on Spotify), while in Israel/Palestine, and completely agree. Von Koch is a fine composer and I hope to explore more.

Like Kyjo said, the Impulsi trilogy is the place to start, a very powerful work (or set of works). The BIS disc has Impulsi only.

I wonder why record companies have not taken it up since the 1977 Swedish Society recording ?

NikF

Chopin: Concerto No. 1 in E minor - Pollini/Thielemann/Berliner Philharmoniker.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

kyjo

Quote from: André on August 13, 2018, 09:09:07 AM
Like Kyjo said, the Impulsi trilogy is the place to start, a very powerful work (or set of works). The BIS disc has Impulsi only.

I wonder why record companies have not taken it up since the 1977 Swedish Society recording ?

I was wondering the same thing, too. It's such an exhilarating, colorful score that I'd love to hear in a brand new modern recording!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Traverso

André

This interpretation is wanting in joy, drama and swagger. Beautiful but bland and faceless singing from the two sopranos. In keeping with the doggedly neutral attitude emanating from the podium, the ladies are not identified as to which part they are assigned. Fortunately Auger has a recognizable voice.

listener

3 GOUNOD Synphonies (no.3 incomplete)
3 C.P.E. BACH  Cantatas
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."