What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draško

Quote from: André on August 14, 2018, 05:11:07 AM
Hi Milos! Which one do you prefer btw Neumann and Behlolavek? Are they much different from one another ?

I prefer Neumann, his touch is so incredibly light and the music moves like liquid. In comparison I find Belohlavek's Martinu a bit hard edged, especially the BBC recordings (I like his Supraphon 2/3 of a cycle better). I'm not talking about huge margins, but definitely Neumann.

SymphonicAddict

Symphony No. 1

If you are fond of Dukas's Symphony, you'll like this one. An excellent work.

André

Quote from: aligreto on August 14, 2018, 11:36:01 AM

That is a big, and therefore intriguing, statement to make Andre and you have therefore piqued my interest greatly.  ;)

I have not heard Rowland playing Scarlatti. 

Overall I find the playing in this Soler cycle to be fine if lacking just a little in expression and flair in its interpretation and presentation. The instruments sound pleasing and the recordings are good, not sounding light or thin. However, I find it difficult not to compare both the music and performances with Ross' Scarlatti where I believe that we are in a different league entirely. Unfair of me perhaps but an unavoidable comparison nonetheless when one is thinking of bodies of work such as these. That is my current thinking but given the above I need to do more research as I value your opinion.

I know, it's a very personal opinion, certainly not a matter of fact. A review of vol 5 in Gramophone sums it up nicely, and the reviewer's view is pretty much your own (« fine if lacking just a little in expression and flair in its interpretation »). https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/d-scarlatti-harpsichord-sonatas-volume-5

I have both Belder and Ross integral sets. Ross is certainly the more inventive and adventurous approach, but a certain sameness pervades both sets, which is rather unavoidable, I guess.

For maximum enjoyment nothing beats Hantaï's discs IMO. But for the long term I thoroughly enjoy Rowland's solid, sonorous readings. I notice that not a trace of these records can be found right now. I have vols 2-6 (12 discs). Maybe Rowland never completed the undertaking?

André

Quote from: Draško on August 14, 2018, 02:29:06 PM
I prefer Neumann, his touch is so incredibly light and the music moves like liquid. In comparison I find Belohlavek's Martinu a bit hard edged, especially the BBC recordings (I like his Supraphon 2/3 of a cycle better). I'm not talking about huge margins, but definitely Neumann.

Thanks! I've been ogling that set for some time without making up my mind.  I'll get serious about it, now ! ;)

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on August 14, 2018, 03:29:13 PM

Symphony No. 1

If you are fond of Dukas's Symphony, you'll like this one. An excellent work.

Indeed, a really fine work.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

TheGSMoeller

Que

Mandryka

Quote from: Traverso on August 14, 2018, 01:11:45 PM
Arrau is too much interpreting the piece,to my taste anyway,I like Lilli kraus better.

http://www.youtube.com/v/fQlxAlzmSEg

You know Leonhardt recorded it?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

premont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Traverso

Quote from: Mandryka on August 14, 2018, 10:29:15 PM
You know Leonhardt recorded it?

I know  he.  made a recording  for Seon on Hammerklavier, an instrument  he  really  disliked.
I remember  that I  listened  to fragments many years  ago.. It is too  long  ago  but I am curious to hear  the adagio in B moll.

I found this video and at the end of it he plays the adagio in B moll.His sister "Trudeliese"played the forte piano.( not on this recording)

http://www.youtube.com/v/l6VNSLPemxo

vandermolen

The Frescoes of Piero della Francesca (LPO, Kubelik):
[asin]B0794MC592[/asin]
A great performance of a wonderfully imaginative and poetic work.

One of a number of fine works inspired by paintings, including Respighi's Botticelli Paintings, Reger's Bocklin Tone Poems and Rachmaninov's 'Isle of the Dead' (also after Bocklin).

Followed by 'Fantasies Symphoniques' (Boston SO, Munch) - Karl would approve!
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Haydn, Symphony No.71 in B flat.

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]
The 1st movement is striking me as rather serious, compared to a lot from this part of the box.

Only 3 more first-ever listens to go here. Then there'll be just 6 Haydn symphonies I haven't heard...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SonicMan46

Bach, JC - Keyboard Sonatas, Op. 17 - on fortepiano & piano:

Bart van Oort - a new acquisition - fortepiano after Walter (c. 1795) by Chris Mean (Ruiselede, 2000)

Alberto Nosè - modern piano - enjoy both recordings - reviews attached for those interested - Dave :)

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

From the Bernstein concertos editions :

[asin]B00LL4U1TE[/asin]

Berlioz - Harold in Italy
Chausson - Poème
Ravel - Tzigane

a maiden listening for all these works.
Olivier

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Traverso

Gounod - Dvorak - Richard Strauss

This sunny music is pure nostalgia.De Dvorak serenade in D is music without troubles.