Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Morning listening:

Picture is linked.

Q

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gordo on August 16, 2018, 02:55:22 PM
Haydn: Symphony in D, H.I No.31 - "Horn Signal"

Marvelous composition and interpretation. I thought I needed to rest, but immediately came the mesmerizing adagio of the symphony No.34... Just one more.  :)

Nay, I practically never find myself requiring a "break" from "Papa"!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 16, 2018, 11:50:40 AM
Another composer whose music I like.

I was introduced to Jean Cras in the Amazon UK forum. I have three albums of his works stored in my Spotify library and dip into them occasionally. The album containing the Legende is quite expensive from Amazon but, checking yesterday,  more reasonably priced from MDT - I might buy it next month.

Karl Henning

Quote from: kyjo on August 16, 2018, 05:31:38 PM
Howells - Piano Quartet:

A beautiful work, but a bit on the "generic English pastoral" side.

But does the world really need more "sonic cowpat"?  ;) 8) 0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Traverso

The Organ in  the Renaissance and the Baroque

1. Ballo della Battaglia from "Selva" (1664)
  2. Canzona in G minor
  3. Ricercar No. 1
  4. Capriccio No. 8
  5. Toccata e Fuga tertia from "IX Toccate e Fughe" (1747)
  6. Sonata quinta (Adagio-Allegro-Adagio)
  7. Praeludium and Fugue in C minor from "Ariadne musica neo-organoedum" (1702)
  8. Praeludium and Fugue in B minor from "Ariadne musica neo-organoedum" (1702)
  9. Praeludium and Fugue in D Major from "Ariadne musica neo-organoedum" (1702)
  10. Praeludium and Fugue in E-flat Major from "Ariadne musica neo-organoedum" (1702)
  11. Toccata sexta aus "IX Toccate e Fughe" (1747)
  12. Preambulum sopra "Jesu, meine Freude" from "Klavierübung", Part I
  13. Preambulum sopra "Jesu, meine Zuversicht" from "Klavierübung", Part I
  14. Preambulum sopra "Von Gott will ich nicht lassen" from "Klavierübung", Part I
  15. Fugue in G minor

Mookalafalas

I am literally just grabbing handfuls randomly from this and loading them into my CD-carousel...so far they are all terrific---I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

[asin]B00LL4U1TE[/asin]
It's all good...

Traverso

Bach

st.John Passion  The Netherlands Bach Society : Jos van Veldhoven

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mookalafalas on August 17, 2018, 02:15:49 AM
I am literally just grabbing handfuls randomly from this and loading them into my CD-carousel...so far they are all terrific---I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

[asin]B00LL4U1TE[/asin]

I do love my two Bernstein boxes.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mookalafalas

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 17, 2018, 03:56:50 AM
I do love my two Bernstein boxes.

Me too, and the 3rd one is coming out soon!
BTW, I'm listening to the disk of Gould playing Brahms PC 1.  It is live, and the coughing is unbelievable--like people are doing it on purpose as a means of booing the performance.  Probably won't be rushing back to play this one again any time soon...
It's all good...

Madiel

I've decided to go all Scandinavian for the evening.

First off a couple of Nielsen songs from 1927 in streaming sources.

Dansk Vejr (Danish Weather)
Vocalise-Etude

I went looking for a bunch of others but didn't find them, and indeed several were pretty obscure. Nielsen wrote a heck of a lot of vocal music, and a lot of it was more for community performance than anything professional... and the couple of the ones I was looking for didn't even make the community-oriented publications. This is the danger of complete catalogues of works.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Sibelius, Six Runeberg songs, op.90

[asin]B00YQIFXWW[/asin]
I'm near the end of this set (this is the last published opus), and I know I've said things like this repeatedly while going through this set, but... op.90/1 is startling, stark and dissonant. And no.2 has some of the same tone. After that things become a bit more conventional, but I continue to think that Sibelius' songs are an important part of his output.  No.5 has a gorgeous change of mood and pace.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Zeus

My oh my, what a good way to start the day....

Cras: L'oeuvre pour orchestre
Orchestre Philharmonique du Luxembourg & Jean-François Antonioli
Timpani

[asin] B0006A7WFA[/asin]

Includes the above-mentiioned Legende.  But IMHO Journal de Bord is even better!  Or maybe I say that just because I'm listening to it right now.

When I listen to this music, I feel such a rush of exhilaration.  I feel like maybe I'm going out to sea for the first time, perhaps on one of those tall sailing ships, or maybe on an ultra-modern catamaran.  Sailing somewhere where the overall beauty of the experience overwhelms the senses.

Anyway, it's all good, instantly likeable music.

"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Judith

One of my Twitter friends is a violinist for the Vienna Philharmonic orchestra. He posted a radio catch up link of them performing Schumann Symphony no 2 conducted by Riccardo Muti. What a performance. Beautiful, especially the finish to the final movement. It was so full and fiery.

Madiel

Holmboe, Symphony No.9

[asin]B000027DT8[/asin]
The first movement tends to make me think of things crawling in the night...

Madiel

Nørgård, Cello Concerto No.1, "Between".

[asin]B000024OCN[/asin]

Harry

Aram Khachaturian, Symphony No. 2.

Bernhard Molique. String quartets opus 42 & 44.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Papy Oli

Good afternoon all,

Kodaly - Hary Janos Suite, Dances of Galanta, Peacock Variations, Dances of Marosszek

Dorati / Philarmonia Hungarica

[asin]B000004235[/asin]
Olivier

Biffo

Hartmann: Concerto for piano, winds and percussion - Maria Bergmann (piano) with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by Rafael Kubelik. This work was mentioned in the Six Piano Concertos thread by Karl and I listened to it out of curiosity. Probably need to get more familiar with it but I enjoyed it more as it went on. I have a couple of Hartmann symphonies, also conducted by Kubelik, must revisit them some time.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Madiel on August 17, 2018, 06:04:31 AM
Nørgård, Cello Concerto No.1, "Between".

[asin]B000024OCN[/asin]

I'm not sure if I've ever really listened to the music of Norgard, but this same disc is on Apple Music so I think I'll give it a go this morning.
Thanks, Madiel!

North Star

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 17, 2018, 06:36:54 AM
I'm not sure if I've ever really listened to the music of Norgard, but this same disc is on Apple Music so I think I'll give it a go this morning.
Thanks, Madiel!
Check out Symphony No. 3, Greg. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/v/RY0F8D6lIkA
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr