What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: aligreto on August 17, 2018, 10:26:06 AM
Vieuxtemps: Violin Concerto No. 7 [Langley/Davin]

Passion, pathos, lyricism and virtuosity all equally coexist happily together in this work; such is the skill, for me, of Vieuxtemps' compositional skills. The performance here [from all concerned] lacks nothing in any of these departments.

I'm seriously tempted.....  :)

Q

kyjo

Quote from: aligreto on August 17, 2018, 11:23:36 AM
Holst: Indra, Symphonic Poem [Atherton]

A wonderful version where the textures of the scoring are brought out to full advantage. Tension and drama are served well as the music is very well driven. A wonderful work.

A really enchanting score; one of my favorite "non-Planets" Holst works.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

aligreto

Telemann: INO [Goebel]

INO is a secular cantata and it is very well played by Musica Antiqua Koln and excelently sung by Schlick. There is drama and tension in the music and performance from the very beginning.

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on August 17, 2018, 11:49:13 AM

Oh, I've heard some of them before of course :)
They're all mature Mozart so what's not to like? There's little of virtuoso display here compared to Mozart's other concertos, there's a greater resemblance of operatic arias perhaps. And Mozart was always good at writing for the winds..

And what about the specific performances? Did you enjoy them? Are they worthwhile?

aligreto

Quote from: Que on August 17, 2018, 11:53:27 AM

Q

I would, seriously. A highly recommended set  ;)

aligreto

Quote from: kyjo on August 17, 2018, 11:57:58 AM

A really enchanting score; one of my favorite "non-Planets" Holst works.

Agreed; a wonderfully inventive and engaging work in terms of music, scoring and orchestral textures. Definitely one to explore for those who do not know it.

kyjo

Rorem - Symphony no. 3:

[asin]B0000ACY0V[/asin]

This highly enjoyable symphony is written in 5 movements - the slow ones have a pensive, lyrical character and the fast ones are bright, exuberant and rhythmic. Anyone who likes American orchestral music ought to give Rorem's three symphonies a listen. Interestingly, Rorem is still alive at the hearty age of 94, but he hasn't attempted any more symphonies since the 3rd, which was written in 1959!

Bloch - Concerto Grosso no. 1 for string orchestra and piano:

[asin]B0000057L3[/asin]

I love this work! It opens with a strikingly declamatory Prelude then moves to dolefully expressive Dirge, followed by the atmospheric and tuneful Pastorale and Rustic Dances and closing with a masterfully written Fugue. I particularly like the way Bloch augments and colors the sound of the string orchestra with the piano part. The Eastman-Rochester Orchestra under Hanson play with tremendous body and vigor, and the recorded sound is remarkably good for 1959.

Vaughan Williams - In the Fen Country:

[asin]B00004YA0V[/asin]

A brooding and atmospheric tone poem dating from early in VW's career.

Bax - Cello Concerto:

[asin]B0000C83YV[/asin]

This is often described as one of Bax's lesser works, though I've read some rave reviews of it. As with some of his lesser symphonies, it's strong on atmosphere but rather short on cohesion and memorability. That said, the cello's dramatic entrance and the thunderous timpani strokes in the first movement, as well as the charming, "Celtic" secondary theme in the finale, stick in the memory. Wallfisch plays with great gusto and passion.

Bartók - String Quartet no. 5:

[asin]B000ZBPPWC[/asin]

I generally really like Bartók's orchestral works (the piano concerti, Divertimento for strings, and Music for SP&C), but for some reason his widely-heralded quartets leave me cold (that said, I do recall rather liking no. 6). They're undoubtedly masterfully written and innovative, but they are often unremittingly harsh and angular  - and everything seems a bit calculated, to my ears. I will concede that there are some pretty cool rhythmic passages here and there, but nothing that draws me in emotionally. Despite my reaction towards the music, I can't find anything to fault about the Belcea Quartet's performance.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on August 17, 2018, 01:29:47 PM
And what about the specific performances? Did you enjoy them? Are they worthwhile?
I enjoyed the performances very much, though I can't offer a comparison with another recording.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mahlerian

Takemitsu: November Steps for shakuhachi, biwa, and orchestra
Katsuya Yokoyama, Kinshi Tsuruta, Saito Kinen Orchestra, cond. Ozawa
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on August 17, 2018, 01:27:52 PM
Telemann: INO [Goebel]

INO is a secular cantata and it is very well played by Musica Antiqua Koln and excelently sung by Schlick. There is drama and tension in the music and performance from the very beginning.

This is my  "INO"  sung by Gundula Janowitz,an old Archive lp. The singing is heavenly.....

Harry

Quote from: Que on August 17, 2018, 11:53:27 AM

Q

It is a fine set Que, so far the best I have heard, well worth your money.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

milk

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on August 17, 2018, 01:44:50 PM

Bartók - String Quartet no. 5:

[asin]B000ZBPPWC[/asin]

I generally really like Bartók's orchestral works (the piano concerti, Divertimento for strings, and Music for SP&C), but for some reason his widely-heralded quartets leave me cold (that said, I do recall rather liking no. 6). They're undoubtedly masterfully written and innovative, but they are often unremittingly harsh and angular  - and everything seems a bit calculated, to my ears. I will concede that there are some pretty cool rhythmic passages here and there, but nothing that draws me in emotionally. Despite my reaction towards the music, I can't find anything to fault about the Belcea Quartet's performance.

I really love the 6 quartets (esp. 4 and 5), they sound almost like rock music in places  :D
BTW, my favorite recording is by Emerson SQ (DG). They nail the works!

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: aligreto on August 17, 2018, 11:23:36 AM
Holst: Indra, Symphonic Poem [Atherton]

A wonderful version where the textures of the scoring are brought out to full advantage. Tension and drama are served well as the music is very well driven. A wonderful work.

A wondrous choice aligreto!

André

Superb performances. Classically conceived but impassioned Franck, wonderfully earthy and white-hot Prokofiev. The sound is spectacular.

Madiel

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 17, 2018, 06:36:54 AM
I'm not sure if I've ever really listened to the music of Norgard, but this same disc is on Apple Music so I think I'll give it a go this morning.
Thanks, Madiel!

You're welcome. I don't know that much of his music myself - the 8 symphonies (in the Da Capo releases) plus a few other scattered things. And that disc is the first one I chose for exploring some more, because I think pretty much the whole Da Capo catalogue is available on streaming services.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Daverz

An Englund evening

Piano Concerto No. 2

[asin]B0000AINFV[/asin]

Clarinet Concerto and Violin Concerto

[asin] B00002530M[/asin]

Cello Concerto

[asin] B00004SYXW[/asin]

The Cello Concerto is particularly beautiful, though I wonder what the Klas/Tampere/Ondine team could do with the right soloist in the Clarinet Concerto.

....And now listening to the Flute Concerto in the Meet the Composer set.  I like this more than the Clarinet or Violin Concertos.

kyjo

Quote from: Daverz on August 17, 2018, 06:22:27 PM
An Englund evening

Piano Concerto No. 2

[asin]B0000AINFV[/asin]

Clarinet Concerto and Violin Concerto

[asin] B00002530M[/asin]

Cello Concerto

[asin] B00004SYXW[/asin]

The Cello Concerto is particularly beautiful, though I wonder what the Klas/Tampere/Ondine team could do with the right soloist in the Clarinet Concerto.

Great stuff! Love Englund's music.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Traverso on August 17, 2018, 03:28:00 AM
Bach

st.John Passion  The Netherlands Bach Society : Jos van Veldhoven

Summmmptuous....
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach