What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

JS Bach: Trio Sonatas Nos. 1-4 [Rogg]

This set is one of the prides of my collection.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

Quote from: aligreto on November 14, 2018, 07:46:06 AM
JS Bach: Trio Sonatas Nos. 1-4 [Rogg]

This set is one of the prides of my collection.
That looks like the perfect choice for a desert island - perfect for a raft.  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on November 14, 2018, 07:26:56 AM
Well, Jeffrey, 82 of his 95 opus numbers are not operas/operettas. ;)

A good point Karlo!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: North Star on November 14, 2018, 07:55:00 AM
That looks like the perfect choice for a desert island - perfect for a raft.  :laugh:

Indeed Karlo, it would have many uses  ;D

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Returned to Beethoven, Op 59, No 3.

Coming to the realization that the middle quartets don't quit do it for me. This one has some interest. The second (slow) movement is wonderfully melodic. The finale is a "devil of a fugue" (to use Elgar's phrase) although it is not really a fugue. But the third movement menuetto is relatively charmless, for me. The first movement is a rare Beethoven Allegro that doesn't really work for me. Recorded performance is first rate, I'd say.

aligreto

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on November 14, 2018, 08:12:00 AM
Returned to Beethoven, Op 59, No 3.

Coming to the realization that the middle quartets don't quit do it for me. This one has some interest. The second (slow) movement is wonderfully melodic. The finale is a "devil of a fugue" (to use Elgar's phrase) although it is not really a fugue. But the third movement menuetto is relatively charmless, for me. The first movement is a rare Beethoven Allegro that doesn't really work for me. Recorded performance is first rate, I'd say.

Snap!

Beethoven: String Quartet Op. 59 No. 3 "Rasoumovsky" [Hungarian Quartet]

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: aligreto on November 14, 2018, 08:25:08 AM
Snap!

Beethoven: String Quartet Op. 59 No. 3 "Rasoumovsky" [Hungarian Quartet]

Is that the mono or stereo set? 

I have the mono here:

and the stereo here:

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Mozart: Concertone for two violins and Orchestra K.190 [Perlman/Zukerman/Mehta]

This is a thoroughly charming and attractive work. I  really enjoy the whole sum of the work and the orchestration is wonderful throughout. The most appealing aspect of the orchestration for me is the scoring for woodwinds, which is delightful.

aligreto

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on November 14, 2018, 08:31:36 AM

Is that the mono or stereo set? 

I have the mono here:

and the stereo here:

My vinyl is the stereo version. 

From what I am reading I do not think it is but I will still ask if the mono/stereo issue is colouring your "hearing" of the work?

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: aligreto on November 14, 2018, 09:05:44 AM
My vinyl is the stereo version. 

From what I am reading I do not think it is but I will still ask if the mono/stereo issue is colouring your "hearing" of the work?

I'm generally happy with the performances of Op 59 I am listening to (Endellion) which has very good stereo sound. The two recordings by the Hungarian Quartet (mono and stereo) are relatively new acquisitions and I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. When I do I will probably go straight to my favorite "late" quartets.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Florestan on November 14, 2018, 03:07:18 AM

Piano Quintet & Piano Trio

On second thoughts, I can see where Taneyev's reputation of dryness comes from --- and why it's not entirely groundless. The pervasive atmosphere of his music is one of uncompromising and unrelenting seriousness. Passionate, yes, but with a cold passion. Looks like this man never had even the briefest moments of genuine merriment and joy, never laughtered wholeheartedly, never had the notion of humor and never experienced life otherwise than as a stern and grim business. The most exact description of his music I can think of is "musical Calvinism".  ;D

The Piano Trio fits this description the most, but the Piano Quintet... come on!  ;)

North Star

First listen to this composer
Howells
Lambert's Clavichord
Julian Perkins
(clavichord)
[asin]B075SXH5NF[/asin]

This is great fun so far.

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

André

A Stenhammar afternoon. To the contents of the Naxos disc, Virgin has added two works, the Reverenza movement from his large-scale Serenade opus 31 and Two Songs opus 4.

I looked on Amazon and counted 7 versions of the symphony. I didn't think it was so well represented on disc. At about 45 minutes, it's a very substantial work. Quite conservatively laid out and developed, the balance of the argument is tilted toward a big finale, brucknerian in its length (16-18 minutes as per the 2 discs above) but not in idiom, contrary to the first symphony.

As a prominent conductor in Sweden, Stenhammar was a champion of Bruckner's works, as well as those of Nielsen and Sibelius. It's the latter that rears its characteristic head in that finale. It's a strangely structured movement. Two totally different musical episodes are exposed, developed but never meshed together. The first is a "nordic mood" passage, complete with sibelian trills in the horns, then the winds, which Howard Hanson must have thought of when he composed his first symphony. Pause. The second idea is then presented, a sort of busy, angular string fugato, gradually picked up by the winds - very perky, not far removed from Schumann and Brahms (the two Serenades). Another pause. Back to square one, and so on. More pauses, more exposition and development of the two ideas. These contrasting episodes never grow their material from each other. They are presented separately. Later on, toward the end (about 13 minutes in) the fugato reappears with elements of the nordic mood idea appearing (the horn trills). And on toward a big, affirmative recapitulation and coda. When it's over, my initial reaction is to say How did we get there? I was reminded of these rivers where, at the confluence, two streams of different origin and composition seem to share the same riverbed without merging until some way downstream:

Not really a patchwork movement, then, but an ambitious construction that is puzzling at first.

Excelsior is a big concert overture with a clear structure, where an upward moving motif is pressed on and pushed up, gathering energy as it proceeds. The Virgin disc is another 'portrait of' concept where the different elements should have been presented in a different order for optimal effect. But what counts is the choice of music, and as a program, it works very well. Von Otter sings superbly in the two songs.

Mandryka

Quote from: North Star on November 14, 2018, 10:03:20 AM
First listen to this composer
Howells
Lambert's Clavichord
Julian Perkins
(clavichord)
[asin]B075SXH5NF[/asin]

This is great fun so far.

I agree. Julian Perkins is my sort of musician too!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

André

Revisiting this invigorating disc.

Ballads for Orchestra combines the character of traditional dances (welsh in this case) with a symphonic structure in four movements. She could have called it Sinfonietta. Fairest of Stars is a setting of part of Milton's Paradise Lost. At 14 minutes it's a substantial scene for soprano and orchestra. The excellent soloist here is Janet Price. The vocal writing is demanding but very grateful to the ear. Engrossing stuff.

The symphony is a big, craggy piece that catches and keeps the attention. The effect (on me at least) is not unlike the Honegger 3rd or a late Schuman symphony. It offers no concession to facility, but does not consciously attempt to place itself out of reach from the ordinary listener. IOW this is serious but accessible stuff. Very impressive.

Thanks to all those who have mentioned Grace Williams' music this year. I feel privileged to have discovered her music through your advocacy.

vandermolen

Quote from: André on November 14, 2018, 11:43:48 AM

Revisiting this invigorating disc.

Ballads for Orchestra combines the character of traditional dances (welsh in this case) with a symphonic structure in four movements. She could have called it Sinfonietta. Fairest of Stars is a setting of part of Milton's Paradise Lost. At 14 minutes it's a substantial scene for soprano and orchestra. The excellent soloist here is Janet Price. The vocal writing is demanding but very grateful to the ear. Engrossing stuff.

The symphony is a big, craggy piece that catches and keeps the attention. The effect (on me at least) is not unlike the Honegger 3rd or a late Schuman symphony. It offers no concession to facility, but does not consciously attempt to place itself out of reach from the ordinary listener. IOW this is serious but accessible stuff. Very impressive.

Thanks to all those who have mentioned Grace Williams' music this year. I feel privileged to have discovered her music through your advocacy.
I like the Honegger comparison Andre. I hadn't made that connection but I think that you are right.

vandermolen

Quote from: ritter on November 14, 2018, 06:36:42 AM
I suppose some reciprocity is called for.  :)

Now listening to:

[asin]B00000DO9V[/asin]

Symphony No. 6.

I'm not a great fan of Simon Rattle but I think that his recording of Sibelius's 3rd Symphony is the best I know.