Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 12780114 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #128040 on: January 13, 2019, 02:05:25 AM »
And here it is, exactly as you describe it: moving and eloquent.

It could be argued that it is as much a song cycle as a symphony. It is cast in 3 movements, just like the cello concerto: first movement, followed by a scherzo, and ending with an adagio. It makes sense to view it as a symphony, meaning it has the structural cast of a symphonic work, despite its unusual layout. It is a powerful utterance, the more so as it avoids sounding like a Big Statement, relying instead on the creation of a strong atmosphere. The 3 poems are about the beauty of music.
I think that your analysis here Andre is spot on as it was for Finzi's Cello Concerto (above). I like the Finzi Cello Concerto and find it very moving, especially bearing in mind the circumstances of its composition but I think Finzi's genius is more evident in works like 'Dies Natalis', 'In Terra Pax' and some of his most eloquent works on a smaller scale like the New Year Music and Eclogue.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #128041 on: January 13, 2019, 02:29:35 AM »
Continued:

Second Book of Songs (1600)

Amazing - this set will definitely make it onto my shortlist for 2019!  :)

Q

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #128042 on: January 13, 2019, 02:32:35 AM »
I promise you that once you’ve spent more time with the Rubbra symphonies, you’ll come away with a great appreciation for his composing style. He was brilliant with counterpoint and a lot of his music, or, at least, in many of his symphonies, the melody leads the way while more melodies and rhythms present themselves. It’s kind of a stream-of-conscientious type of compositional style, but one that I believe will reward the listener if, again, you allow it the necessary time to get under your skin.

A concise and illuminating post, thanks. The Lyrita Handley 2nd is receiving due diligence which I must say is not a hardship as the symphony motors along most impressively. Next up, the Boult 7th, again on Lyrita.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Traverso

« Reply #128043 on: January 13, 2019, 02:43:06 AM »
Bach

CD 3

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #128044 on: January 13, 2019, 02:46:50 AM »
Joubert: Symphony 2
In Memory of those killed at Sharpeville (21/03/60)

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #128045 on: January 13, 2019, 02:49:41 AM »
Leighton's Third Symphony is eloquent and moving - my favourite work by him.

I have not heard his 3rd Symphony but like his Organ Concerto very much.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #128046 on: January 13, 2019, 03:02:00 AM »
Schmelzer: Barockes Welttheater [Freiburger Barock Consort]

Serenata con altre arie
Polnische Sackpfeiffen
Sonata amabilis a 4
Balletto di Pastori e Ninfe
Sonate a due

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #128047 on: January 13, 2019, 03:15:13 AM »
I have not heard his 3rd Symphony but like his Organ Concerto very much.

Never seen that before - looks like an interesting disc.

Ciaccona

« Reply #128048 on: January 13, 2019, 03:24:31 AM »
NP:

Milhaud: String Quartet #12, Op. 252

Quartetto Italiano

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #128049 on: January 13, 2019, 05:02:28 AM »
Mozart: Symphonies Nos. 25, 26, 27, 28 & 30 [Pinnock]

I have been listening to the above works over the course of the last few days. These performances are both vibrant and vital and have a robust and spirited presence to them. The performances are lyrical and musical. The tempi are brisk and solid. These are stimulating and sometimes thrilling performances. The recordings are also robust and detailed and have a strong presence to them.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Traverso

« Reply #128050 on: January 13, 2019, 05:11:44 AM »
Heinrich Isaac

Offline Draško

« Reply #128051 on: January 13, 2019, 05:17:01 AM »

Excellent selection of vilancicos by multiple composers, some in Spanish some in indigenous languages. Vibrantly performed by Elyma with some first rate singers led by Adriana Fernandez and María Cristina Kiehr. It's an reissue of Symphonia/Pan Classics release. The only slight drawback is a bit reverberant church acoustic. Otherwise can serve as pretty decent entry point for those interested in Latin American music of the baroque period. 

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #128052 on: January 13, 2019, 05:37:41 AM »
Now this would be cause for celebration, indeed! :)

I took a chance yesterday and exposed a friend of mine to a piece of Vaughan Williams music; one that I love in particular.  It was the Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis on this LP.  I'm delighted to report that, in his words, "It was a religious experience"!   ;D  He listens to mostly baroque music (in terms of classical music) and some earlier music too (loves the Tallis Scholars), so I thought the connection might help it to be a good fit.  He also told me that he knows that he has one album of VW's music but not certain which one it is though now that he's heard and enjoyed this work, he's tempted to try other pieces of music by Vaughan Williams [Yippee!].

Best wishes,

PD

Offline TheGSMoeller

• Veteran member
  • Monkey Greg
« Reply #128053 on: January 13, 2019, 06:07:20 AM »
Britten: Lachrymae for Viola and Strings, Op. 48a

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #128054 on: January 13, 2019, 06:19:23 AM »
Venetian Festival Music [Willcocks]

G. Gabrielli: Omnes gentes, plaudite manibus
G. Gabrielli: O magnum mysterium
S. Scheidt: In dulci jubilo
H. Schutz: Psalm 150

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #128055 on: January 13, 2019, 06:20:03 AM »

Excellent selection of vilancicos by multiple composers, some in Spanish some in indigenous languages. Vibrantly performed by Elyma with some first rate singers led by Adriana Fernandez and María Cristina Kiehr. It's an reissue of Symphonia/Pan Classics release. The only slight drawback is a bit reverberant church acoustic. Otherwise can serve as pretty decent entry point for those interested in Latin American music of the baroque period.

That looks interesting. I will investigate.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #128056 on: January 13, 2019, 06:21:15 AM »
I took a chance yesterday and exposed a friend of mine to a piece of Vaughan Williams music; one that I love in particular.  It was the Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis on this LP.  I'm delighted to report that, in his words, "It was a religious experience"!   ;D  He listens to mostly baroque music (in terms of classical music) and some earlier music too (loves the Tallis Scholars), so I thought the connection might help it to be a good fit.  He also told me that he knows that he has one album of VW's music but not certain which one it is though now that he's heard and enjoyed this work, he's tempted to try other pieces of music by Vaughan Williams [Yippee!].

Best wishes,

PD

Clever, if a little devious  8)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #128057 on: January 13, 2019, 06:42:41 AM »
Clever, if a little devious  8)

We expect nothing less from a daughter of Pohjola!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #128058 on: January 13, 2019, 06:51:58 AM »

Best wishes,

PD

What next, PD? So many choices!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #128059 on: January 13, 2019, 07:05:27 AM »

The weakest disc from Mönkemeyer.  I need to clarify what I mean by weak.  Not a few artists have never produced anything this relatively good.  It's just that Mönkemeyer's track record so far is such that what can be considered a 9/10 type disc is just not all the way up to snuff.  This disc includes the first recording in my collection of the transcribed by someone other than Beethoven than polished up by Beethoven Op 42 Notturno redo of the Op 8 Serenade.  Of course Mönkemeyer plays his part perfectly, and of course Mr Rimmer plays his part splendidly.  Pärt's Fratres is likewise very well done.  The main draw is the DSCH.  The only other version I've heard is the Keulen/Brautigam set, which itself is quite fine, but this one, in remarkably clear if somewhat sterile sound, allows the listener to crank up the volume and wallow in late DSCH writing.  The final movement comes in at about 16', and is substantial but not overwrought.  If I had heard this disc first or second, I'd still be pursuing more recordings from the violist, but some of his others are better - timeless masterpieces as opposed to great contemporary recordings. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Everything dies - Alien Bounty Hunter, The X-Files

Everyone dies - William Barr, United States Attorney General