What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 12, 2019, 03:18:34 PM
Leighton's Third Symphony is eloquent and moving - my favourite work by him.

I have not heard his 3rd Symphony but like his Organ Concerto very much.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aligreto

Schmelzer: Barockes Welttheater [Freiburger Barock Consort]

Serenata con altre arie
Polnische Sackpfeiffen
Sonata amabilis a 4
Balletto di Pastori e Ninfe
Sonate a due

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 13, 2019, 01:49:41 AM
I have not heard his 3rd Symphony but like his Organ Concerto very much.

Never seen that before - looks like an interesting disc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ciaccona

NP:

Milhaud: String Quartet #12, Op. 252

Quartetto Italiano

aligreto

Mozart: Symphonies Nos. 25, 26, 27, 28 & 30 [Pinnock]

I have been listening to the above works over the course of the last few days. These performances are both vibrant and vital and have a robust and spirited presence to them. The performances are lyrical and musical. The tempi are brisk and solid. These are stimulating and sometimes thrilling performances. The recordings are also robust and detailed and have a strong presence to them.

Traverso

Draško

Excellent selection of vilancicos by multiple composers, some in Spanish some in indigenous languages. Vibrantly performed by Elyma with some first rate singers led by Adriana Fernandez and María Cristina Kiehr. It's an reissue of Symphonia/Pan Classics release. The only slight drawback is a bit reverberant church acoustic. Otherwise can serve as pretty decent entry point for those interested in Latin American music of the baroque period. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 11, 2019, 10:49:54 AM
Now this would be cause for celebration, indeed! :)

I took a chance yesterday and exposed a friend of mine to a piece of Vaughan Williams music; one that I love in particular.  It was the Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis on this LP.  I'm delighted to report that, in his words, "It was a religious experience"!   ;D  He listens to mostly baroque music (in terms of classical music) and some earlier music too (loves the Tallis Scholars), so I thought the connection might help it to be a good fit.  He also told me that he knows that he has one album of VW's music but not certain which one it is though now that he's heard and enjoyed this work, he's tempted to try other pieces of music by Vaughan Williams [Yippee!].

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

TheGSMoeller

Britten: Lachrymae for Viola and Strings, Op. 48a

aligreto

Venetian Festival Music [Willcocks]

G. Gabrielli: Omnes gentes, plaudite manibus
G. Gabrielli: O magnum mysterium
S. Scheidt: In dulci jubilo
H. Schutz: Psalm 150

aligreto

Quote from: Draško on January 13, 2019, 04:17:01 AM

Excellent selection of vilancicos by multiple composers, some in Spanish some in indigenous languages. Vibrantly performed by Elyma with some first rate singers led by Adriana Fernandez and María Cristina Kiehr. It's an reissue of Symphonia/Pan Classics release. The only slight drawback is a bit reverberant church acoustic. Otherwise can serve as pretty decent entry point for those interested in Latin American music of the baroque period.

That looks interesting. I will investigate.

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 13, 2019, 04:37:41 AM
I took a chance yesterday and exposed a friend of mine to a piece of Vaughan Williams music; one that I love in particular.  It was the Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis on this LP.  I'm delighted to report that, in his words, "It was a religious experience"!   ;D  He listens to mostly baroque music (in terms of classical music) and some earlier music too (loves the Tallis Scholars), so I thought the connection might help it to be a good fit.  He also told me that he knows that he has one album of VW's music but not certain which one it is though now that he's heard and enjoyed this work, he's tempted to try other pieces of music by Vaughan Williams [Yippee!].

Best wishes,

PD

Clever, if a little devious  8)

Cato

Quote from: aligreto on January 13, 2019, 05:21:15 AM
Clever, if a little devious  8)

We expect nothing less from a daughter of Pohjola!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Irons

Best wishes,

PD

What next, PD? So many choices!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Todd

The weakest disc from Mönkemeyer.  I need to clarify what I mean by weak.  Not a few artists have never produced anything this relatively good.  It's just that Mönkemeyer's track record so far is such that what can be considered a 9/10 type disc is just not all the way up to snuff.  This disc includes the first recording in my collection of the transcribed by someone other than Beethoven than polished up by Beethoven Op 42 Notturno redo of the Op 8 Serenade.  Of course Mönkemeyer plays his part perfectly, and of course Mr Rimmer plays his part splendidly.  Pärt's Fratres is likewise very well done.  The main draw is the DSCH.  The only other version I've heard is the Keulen/Brautigam set, which itself is quite fine, but this one, in remarkably clear if somewhat sterile sound, allows the listener to crank up the volume and wallow in late DSCH writing.  The final movement comes in at about 16', and is substantial but not overwrought.  If I had heard this disc first or second, I'd still be pursuing more recordings from the violist, but some of his others are better - timeless masterpieces as opposed to great contemporary recordings. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Sibelius: Symphony No. 3 [Gibson]

I like this version. It is a fine, somewhat contemplative interpretation and performance where Gibson delivers the work in a somewhat ruminative but always engaging and interesting way.

Mirror Image

Selections from this marvelous disc:

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Best wishes,

PD

Well, this is certainly great to hear! Tell your friend to listen to Flos campi next or since your friend likes RVW's string writing so much, I'd recommend them either Partita for Double String Orchestra, Concerto Grosso, or, a popular one like Five Variants of Dives and Lazarus. Save the symphonies for another time. ;) Baby steps...that's what it'll take.

pi2000

Silvia Marcovici Bruch Violin Concerrto
from here (https://www.amazon.co.jp/)

[asin]B07MDK3K3Q[/asin]
:-*