What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 13, 2019, 10:22:32 AM
Symphony No. 8

What are these works like John? I don't know either of them. I like Schnittke's Piano Quintet.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

vandermolen

Quote from: André on January 13, 2019, 11:12:21 AM

Like the Boult it combines two great works which is very appealing. You must let us know what you think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 13, 2019, 10:44:57 AM
What are these works like John? I don't know either of them. I like Schnittke's Piano Quintet.

Very difficult to describe the music, but Symphony No. 8 is a bleak work from Schnittke's late period. The music is a bit enigmatic and tough to decipher, but the general jest of what I believe Schnittke is getting at musically in this symphony is that there is rhyme and reason to all things and that whatever struggles or hardships we encounter there will be light awaiting us.

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 13, 2019, 07:55:39 AM
I need to revisit Prokofiev's symphonies. I remember the 2nd, 5th, and 6th really being the strongest. What's your take on them?

Allow me to recommend the Third Symphony!  The old Leinsdorf/Boston Symphony recording on RCA is a barn-burner!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 13, 2019, 11:28:00 AM
Very difficult to describe the music, but Symphony No. 8 is a bleak work from Schnittke's late period. The music is a bit enigmatic and tough to decipher, but the general jest of what I believe Schnittke is getting at musically in this symphony is that there is rhyme and reason to all things and that whatever struggles or hardships we encounter there will be light awaiting us.
Thanks John. That is indeed very helpful.

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on January 13, 2019, 11:40:33 AM
Allow me to recommend the Third Symphony!  The old Leinsdorf/Boston Symphony recording on RCA is a barn-burner!
+1

André

+ 2 for the Leinsdorf recording !

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on January 13, 2019, 11:40:33 AM

I've got that performance (somewhere), I'll have to check it out. Kudos, Cato.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 13, 2019, 11:52:14 AM
Thanks John. That is indeed very helpful.

Glad I could be of some help, Jeffrey. :)

André

Quote from: vandermolen on January 13, 2019, 11:15:03 AM
Like the Boult it combines two great works which is very appealing. You must let us know what you think.

The jury is still out  ;D. Mostly favourable, but I must give it more exposure. I haven't internalized it yet, although I grasp the intent and the means.

A moot technical point about this particular disc: the volume level has to be turned for the moeranesque skies to clear up. For the first few minutes it sounded kind of greyish. Then it came into better focus  :).

André

Coming to an end right now:

Two more Didos to swallow tonight (Emmanelle Haïm and Currentzis).

North Star

First listen
Honegger
Symphony No. 4 'Deliciæ Basiliensis' (1946)
Czech Philharmonic
Baudo

[asin]B000003574[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

vandermolen

Quote from: North Star on January 13, 2019, 12:45:03 PM
First listen
Honegger
Symphony No. 4 'Deliciæ Basiliensis' (1946)
Czech Philharmonic
Baudo

[asin]B000003574[/asin]
Symphony 4 is an underrated work. I like it very much. Baudo is excellent and so is Ansermet.

North Star

Quote from: vandermolen on January 13, 2019, 01:06:27 PM
Symphony 4 is an underrated work. I like it very much. Baudo is excellent and so is Ansermet.
I liked it quite well, too, Jeffrey.

Thread-duty - first listen
Charles Avison
Concertos No. 6 in D major and No. 5 in d minor, Done From the Lessons of Domenico Scarlatti
Cafe Zimmermann

[asin]B00007B9P0[/asin]
from
[asin]B07HSRY4TN[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Todd

Disc one, concertos 4 and 5.  Forty-something Backhaus was quite the keyboard wizard.  These concertos are swift and lithe, with Backhaus dashing off some passages with an effortlessness his older self could not muster.  Transfers are good, and if one misses modern dynamics, one gets old school portamento, so call it a draw.  Superb.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mirror Image

Listening to one of Debussy's mélodies has turned into a mélodie-a-thon from this box:

Veronique Dietschy, soprano
Phillippe Cassard, piano

Draško

Todd

Disc 3.  The concertos.  Very well done old school takes. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya