What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Sibelius: Symphony No. 3 [Collins]

I like Collins in Sibelius. I always find his interpretations and performances to be interesting, exciting and engaging. No. 3 is no different. The first movement is powerful, dramatic and has great forward momentum. The slow movement portrays that great theme in a wonderful way that is different from others; more hushed, restrained and tentative for me. The final movement is an intense and compelling performance and it has a great strength to it.

aligreto

San Antone

Quote from: Mandryka on January 19, 2019, 12:13:51 AM
Yes, do you prefer it to the Faidit on Vol 2 of Troubadour Arts Ensemble? I do. 

I don't know, it's been so long since I listened to the Troubadour Arts Ensemble recordings.  They used to be on NML but are no longer.  Apparently they are on Qobuz (which is just beginning a beta period for the US, but is too expensive for me closed and new subscribers must be invited).  I remember being very impressed when I listened to the TAE, considering them the set to get since it was complete and the performances good.  I still would purchase all 22 CDs if given the opportunity.

QuoteI may at some point start something here for thinking about troubadours composer by composer -- recordings of Riquier, Faidit etc. At the moment in my head it's all a bit of an amalgam, I couldn't really tell you the characteristics of one troubadour over another.

I have a great little book on the music of the Troubadours, but you're right, being able to discern just from listening who you are hearing is a challenge that would only be solved by repeated exposure.  Except for a handful of composers, we only have a few songs for all the others, so it may not be as daunting of a task as one might think.

San Antone

Just found this on Spotify:

I am glad TSATF are still putting out new recordings.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on January 19, 2019, 03:24:44 AM
Debussy: Prélude a l'apres-midi d'un faune [von Karajan]

I remember that great old LP. Love the cover art too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on January 19, 2019, 05:01:43 AM
Sibelius: Symphony No. 3 [Collins]

I like Collins in Sibelius. I always find his interpretations and performances to be interesting, exciting and engaging. No. 3 is no different. The first movement is powerful, dramatic and has great forward momentum. The slow movement portrays that great theme in a wonderful way that is different from others; more hushed, restrained and tentative for me. The final movement is an intense and compelling performance and it has a great strength to it.
I agree. One of the best Sibelius cycles. I'm sorry that Collins never recorded Tapiola.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 19, 2019, 01:05:50 AM

William Primrose, a renowned violist is superb in the Walton. Although they are similar in some respects, I prefer the viola concerto to Walton's one for violin.
Totally agree about the Viola Concerto. The Violin Concerto is much better known but the Viola Concerto is a much finer work IMHO. I also like the Sinfonia-Concertante piano concerto.

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

aligreto

Handel: Coronation Anthems [Menuhin]

Zadok The Priest
The King Shall Rejoice

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on January 19, 2019, 05:50:55 AM

I remember that great old LP. Love the cover art too.

Much love for this one.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on January 19, 2019, 05:52:20 AM

I agree. One of the best Sibelius cycles. I'm sorry that Collins never recorded Tapiola.

I have Collins' full Sibelius symphonic cycle on CD.

Mirror Image

String Quartet No. 6 in G major, Op. 101

Traverso

Telemann

Still a soft spot for the suite in a minor,here beautifully played by the Parley of Instruments.

ritter

Quote from: NikF on January 18, 2019, 03:50:58 PM
Debussy: Jeux - Bavouzet.

[asin]B002Q1LJZ6[/asin]
That is one great recording IMO, NikF! Jeux "in black and white" sounds as enigmatic and beautiful in Bavouzet's miraculous hands as in its orchestral guise. I only know one other recording of this piano reduction, Jean-Pierre Armengaud's in the Warner "complete" set, and Bavouzet beats it by a mile.

Hope you've enjoyed it as much as I have.  :)

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on January 17, 2019, 10:06:08 AM
I heard this on the radio. I could only listen to the 3rd movement. I was completely intrigued by that stunning and dense music, and that intense struggle that there was. I was at the edge of my seat! At first I thought it was a work by Taneyev. The style was quite reminiscent of what I heard. I couldn't know the name of the work but at the end: it was the Piano Quintet in B minor by Adolphe Biarent! It sounded like a masterpiece. Highly rewarding music.

That's a really fine work, Cesar. I think his Cello Sonata (contained on the same Cyprès CD) is an even greater work - powerful and ultimately uplifting.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 17, 2019, 11:12:01 AM
Playing here,now! Mennin Symphony No 3. I find his symphonies just power packed. The slow movement's,very absorbing. Very satisfying. Tersely,argued. Do they perform any of his symphonies,at all,in America,now?!

To the bolded text, the answer to your question, my friend, is a hard no. The same goes for the symphonies of Hanson, Schuman, Piston, Harris, Diamond, Creston, Thompson, Persichetti, etc. American orchestras virtually ignore our country's rich symphonic heritage, and it's a travesty. (I feel like I've said some variant of this at least 20 times on this forum... ::))
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

André

More belgian composers music:

Both works are very impressive, Jongen's in its bold and colourful way, Maleingrau's in his inward, deeply spiritual one.