What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

I know I had No 7 and either No 2.....or,No 5? If only I could remember what colour the LP was............that might help?!! ??? :-\

Maestro267

Inspired by the Theme & Variations poll:

d'Indy: Istar - Variations symphoniques
RSNO/Tingaud

Bantock: Helena Variations
Royal PO/Handley

Traverso

Chansons Française de la Renaissance

CD 1

Harry

Francois Couperin, Complete Harpsichord Works. CD 5.
Olivier Baumont & Davitt Moroney.
Instruments used: John Phillips, after Ruckers 1646, Blanchet 1756, and Taskin 1780. (OB)
William Dowd after Nicolas and Francois Blanchet, 1730.

Second Livre de pieces clavecin.
Huitieme and Neuvieme ordre

Strong performances.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

vandermolen

George Lloyd: A Symphonic Mass

It's really good. I've owned the CD for years and didn't make much of it. However, following some rave reviews here I decided to give it another go and am really enjoying it:
[asin]B0000049N6[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Traverso

La Quinta Essentia

Enjoyed the chanson of Ockeghem J'En Ai Deuil, really beautiful.   ( Chansons Française de la Renaissance CD 1 )

Continue now with Lassus  Missa "Tous les regretz"
Thomas Ashewell  Missa "Ave Maria"
Palestrina  Missa "Ut re mi fa sol"

cilgwyn

Bax Symphony No 2,conducted by Myer Fredman. This arrived this morning........and apparently,there's another copy,on the way,from the US!! ::) :( I looked at cd reviews of the performances,on this cd,before I bought it. Every review I read (even the Hurwitz!) thought that these recordings had never been bettered!

Harry

Les Gouts Accordes.
Works for: Theorbo/Cello/Viola da Gamba/Organ.
Composers: Barriere/De Visee/Lully/Hotman/Braun/

A gem of a disc, necessary for any collection.

ritter

Dipping my toe in this recent acquisition, with Albéniz's Iberia:

[asin]B07JZRR79B[/asin]

I already knew parts of Mme. Loriod's traversal of Albéniz's magnum opus, as about half of the music had been released on an Adès CD many years ago, which I found perchance in a used CD shop here in Madrid. This time around, I'm finding this very, very enjoyable. The pianist favours a dryish tone (perhaps the—perfectly acceptable—vintage recorded sound has something to do with this), and it all sounds matter-of-factish (and I mean this as a complement). Not much "atmosphere", but rather "pure pianism", if you will. The changes in mood and speed within individual pieces (e.g. "El Corpus Christi en Sevilla") are clearly differentiated, making this IMO a very "modern" reading. And she's very rhythmically alert (e.g. Rondeña, my absolute favourite of all the pieces contained in the suite).

What a towering achievement Iberia is! Albéniz manages to transcend local colour and "salon spirit" to create a monument to the piano and to "pure" music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on January 22, 2019, 12:00:43 AM
I really like that CD. Charlton Heston is much better than Henry Fonda in the narration of the Lincoln Portrait and I've invariably liked Abravanel's recordings of anything. The Morton Gould is fun too.

Yes, indeed. A great disc for sure. 8)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 22, 2019, 05:11:32 AM
Bax Symphony No 2,conducted by Myer Fredman. This arrived this morning........and apparently,there's another copy,on the way,from the US!! ::) :( I looked at cd reviews of the performances,on this cd,before I bought it. Every review I read (even the Hurwitz!) thought that these recordings had never been bettered!

That's a fabulous CD cilgwyn and worth having multiple copies of ( 8)). Best ever performances of both symphonies in my view. Leppard's Symphony 5 is in a class of its own IMHO.

Thread duty:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 22, 2019, 03:20:56 AM
I know I had No 7 and either No 2.....or,No 5? If only I could remember what colour the LP was............that might help?!! ??? :-\

You are right, the most boring covers of the Lyrita Edition. Keith Hensby must have had an off day! 1st Symphony is gold and 6th green. There was not a Lyrita 4th Symphony.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

SonicMan46

Röntgen, Julius - Chamber Works & Cello Concertos - top 3 discs below from my collection - now, Röntgen was not only a composer but also a teacher and considered a brilliant pianist - looking through my discs, I do not own any solo piano works - the 3 below at the bottom w/ Mark Anderson are available on Amazon (BUT at a high cost, i.e. $19 Prime each!) - just curious if anyone is familiar w/ the composer's works for piano and can offer comments - thanks.  Dave :)

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: A Sea Symphony - Andrew Manze conducting the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra and Choir with Sarah Fox (soprano) and Mark Stone (baritone). Beautifully played, sung and recorded I prefer this to the recent Brabbins recording in all respects except the soprano soloist.

Harry

Gioseppe Antonio Doni, Perugia 18th siecle.
Toccatas and Dances, for Luth.
Sylvain Bergeron Archlute,

Enormously satisfying.

André

Another go at the mighty Te Deum by Walter Braunfels (1882-1954). Braunfels was a most important figure in the musical life of Cologne, serving as Director of city's music Conservatory, before his abrupt dismissal by the nazis and all his works declared verboten. Fortunately this recording does full justice to the work's immense vision. Soloists in particular sing both beautifully and heroically - something that was sorely missing on the Foulds World Requiem I listened to a couple of days ago. The formidable octave leap in the ecstatic Laudamus theme must be a beast to perform. The 2004 recording is excellent.

Papy Oli

Good evening all,

First listen to Hans Gal's symphonies. Just finished a very pleasant 1st, the 2nd bodes well too so far.

[asin]B00OYKL0PQ[/asin]
Olivier

André

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 22, 2019, 07:44:46 AM
Good evening all,

First listen to Hans Gal's symphonies. Just finished a very pleasant 1st, the 2nd bodes well too so far.

[asin]B00OYKL0PQ[/asin]

This sounds encouraging ! I look forward to listen to this set.

Papy Oli

Quote from: André on January 22, 2019, 07:45:33 AM
This sounds encouraging ! I look forward to listen to this set.

Very engaging & melodic works, André. Dive in !

Olivier

Que

Listening:

[asin]B004X7UUQA[/asin]
Q