What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 14, 2019, 01:24:11 PM
The remastered Bernstein changed my opinion about the basic quality of those recordings.  I ended up getting the Szell set. Am open to exploring Ormandy.

Price of vinyl in the 70's was an issue. It wasn't just skimping on the quantity. Supposedly the recycled unsold LPs, labels and all, so that the vinyl they were using wasn't clean, resulting in surface noise.
US vinyl LPs (particularly RCA) were very thin and prone to warp. Though it varied over time and from company to company. But RCA were really bad boys, you won't believe how thin some of their LPs in my collection are.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 14, 2019, 12:30:01 PMSony have already released a lot of Ormandy/single composer sets and a 20th Century Classics set - if they were to bundle it all together it would be huge......

I would want them to remaster as they did for Bernstein's recordings, which improved dramatically from the initial CD releases.

André

Symphonies 2 and 3. Splendid, splendid, splendid.

Ken B

Quote from: The new erato on March 14, 2019, 02:25:45 PM
US vinyl LPs (particularly RCA) were very thin and prone to warp. Though it varied over time and from company to company. But RCA were really bad boys, you won't believe how thin some of their LPs in my collection are.
They bragged about it! It was marketed as flexible and floppy. They called it Dynaflex.
I can distinctly recall hearing music from the other side of the lp in quieter passages on some of them.

André

SymphonicAddict

Violin concerto No. 1 and Clarinet concerto

First listens

This composer's music turned out quite engaging. Modern, fresh and the music is not just sonorities and effects, but there is argument and cohesiveness as well.

André

Daverz

Krommer: Sinfonia Concertante in D for Flute, Clarinet, and Violin, and Orchestra, op.80

[asin] B00T7MQCZY[/asin]

Mirror Image

Satie
Trois Sarabandes
Noriko Ogawa, 1890 Érard piano

JBS

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 14, 2019, 04:54:03 PM

Violin concerto No. 1 and Clarinet concerto

First listens

This composer's music turned out quite engaging. Modern, fresh and the music is not just sonorities and effects, but there is argument and cohesiveness as well.

I have found Lindberg to be a mix of hit and miss. The VC is a hit, though. I have it in its first recording, with Lisa Batiashvili. It managed to be a better work than the work coupled with it, the Sibelius VC. I don't have the recording you have.
I remember the Second Violin Concerto impressed me less.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Enescu
Prelude And Fugue in C Major
Nocturne
Scherzo
Pièce sur le nom de Fauré

Luiza Borac, piano

San Antone

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Ken B on March 14, 2019, 03:56:21 PM
They bragged about it! It was marketed as flexible and floppy. They called it Dynaflex.
I can distinctly recall hearing music from the other side of the lp in quieter passages on some of them.

Hearing other tracks in quieter passages (or, even more common, in the spaces between tracks) is probably from something else.  I read years ago that the masters that LPs were burned from were on reel-to-reel, and if the tapes were stored/used for too long, the magnetic signal would leave an imprint on the next layer of tape it was pressed against.  When I was growing up my older brothers were always playing The Beatles on LP, and on a coupe of the disks, you could clearly hear other tracks faintly playing in the gaps between songs...

TD: From big Szell box

It's all good...

San Antone

San Antone

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

First two Suits from Ma's new recording.

[asin]B07DKQ8JH6[/asin]

Outstanding, personal but not self-indulgent reading of the works.

San Antone

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 15, 2019, 12:03:13 AM
First two Suits from Ma's new recording.

[asin]B07DKQ8JH6[/asin]

Outstanding, personal but not self-indulgent reading of the works.

I am pleased that you appear happy with your purchase of this recording.

San Antone

Que

Quote from: San Antone on March 15, 2019, 12:00:10 AM

Since you're interested in Brahms on period instruments  - which IMO is significantly different from what we are used to hear - a strong & warm recommendation for Piet Kuijken:

[asin]B016VJM3BM[/asin]
I find this so good, that I hope and pray for more!  :)

Q