What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 16, 2019, 02:47:34 AM
Thread duty:
Symphony 2 - a magnificent work.

(Re: Lilburn) A great work, Jeffrey - the scherzo and finale, in particular, remind me of a certain composer who we claim to be experts on ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Iota

SymphonicAddict

Poème des rivages is a great work, also quite colourful, evocative and even sensuous. d'Indy at his best as an orchestrator. The Symphony is in another league, much less inspired and bland, but it's forgivable because it's an early work.

André

Disc 1, sonatas in a minor D.537, in B D.575 and in A D.664, whose heavenly fist movement defines schubertian lyricism. The first and third of these were recorded in 1982 when Brendel was at the height of his considerable art. The second (the B major sonata) is from 2000. His playing had stiffened, not a reflection of declining dexterity, rather more a hardening of his musical arteries.

Todd

Disc 3, LvB.  Opp 13, 57, 31/3.  All rock solid, if individual in nature.  In general terms, the impression is as generally positive as with his cycle.  I'm going to have to schedule some time for some compare and contrast sessions. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/v/tNIurA7m5bw

Very colourful and inspired Bach/Busoni Chaconne here played by Florestan's favourite Maria Tipo.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 16, 2019, 09:06:49 AM
Du Fay, Guillaume (c. 1397-1474) - Motets from the recordings shown below - have more discs of this composer than remembered, so will likely spend the weekend w/ him - :)  Dave

I very much like the combination of brass and voice in the Cantica Symphonia recordings, it's a while since I listened to those motets but in fact, just yesterday I played one of their Dufay masses, se la face est pale, and I was really impressed by the brass/voice combo.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

SymphonicAddict

Symphony No. 4

I've been seeing some posts previously about this release from Toccata.

I detect a craggy atmosphere, it could even be depicted like a baleful memory or event like that, imbued with certain rhytmic vivacity finishing with a relatively happy ending. There is a pasasge that features an Arabian flavour to it, the most swinging one iirc. I was strongly reminded of other composers, whose musical connection would be apt (H. Brian, Marinuzzi, Copland, Schmitt, etc.). It goes from dark to light, though the ending was not that convincing, I hoped a most cathartic conclusion. Contrapuntally speaking, it has arresting ideas. The booklet says "in E flat, certainly, though I don't notice it as such. If something, E flat minor fits better.

listener

Lord BERNERS:  The Triumphs of Neptune, L'uomo dai baffi, Valses bourgeoises*, Polka*
English Northern Philharmonia, Royal Ballet Sinfonia*   David LLoyd-Jones, cond.
supplementing a Beecham recording of a suite from ..Neptune
IVES: Symphony 3  COPLAND: Appalachian Spring (original orchestration - 13 instruments), Short Symphony
Saint Paul Chamber Orch.,  Dennis Russell Davies, cond.
COWELL:  Synchrony, Piano Concerto   VARÈSE: Amériques  (1947 version)
HARRISON: Concerto for Organ with Percussion Orchestra
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

André

Disc one, all-Schreker.
- Chamber Symphony for 23 instruments (Welser-Möst)
- Intermezzo op 8 for strings
- Symphonic prelude, Die Gezeichneten (The Stigmatized)
- Romantic Suite (all with Conlon)

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: listener on March 16, 2019, 04:42:25 PM
Lord BERNERS:  The Triumphs of Neptune, L'uomo dai baffi, Valses bourgeoises*, Polka*
English Northern Philharmonia, Royal Ballet Sinfonia*   David LLoyd-Jones, cond.
supplementing a Beecham recording of a suite from ..Neptune
IVES: Symphony 3  COPLAND: Appalachian Spring (original orchestration - 13 instruments), Short Symphony
Saint Paul Chamber Orch.,  Dennis Russell Davies, cond.
COWELL:  Synchrony, Piano Concerto   VARÈSE: Amériques  (1947 version)
HARRISON: Concerto for Organ with Percussion Orchestra

What an interesting repertoire. The Berners and the Harrison look tempting music. What they sound like?

Mirror Image

Ravel
Ma mère l'oye
Paris Conservatoire Orchestra
André Cluytens, conductor

amw

I really like their contrapuntal sound & ensemble playing. Not so much a fan of the first violinist's intonation.

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on March 16, 2019, 05:10:00 PM
What an interesting repertoire. The Berners and the Harrison look tempting music. What they sound like?
Just what I was thinking too.

Thread duty:
Symphony 4 'In Memory of Dylan Thomas':
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

San Antone

vandermolen

The Chagall Windows:
Now: Variations on a Theme of Karl Amadeus Hartmann'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SurprisedByBeauty

San Antone