Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Daverz on March 20, 2019, 10:16:39 AM
But Documents has all the Beethovens.

I think you mean all the Betthovenses.

André

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Prokofiev
Cinderella, Op. 87
Gennady Rozhdestvensky, conductor
USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra

Rozhdestvensky's traversal of Prokofiev's ballets are the best on record, IMHO. I prefer them to Michail Jurowski's CPO recordings (even though these are in better audio). There's something in the spirit of these performances that are second to none.

Ken B

George Lloyd
Symphony 11
First movement
Albany SO, Lloyd

Ken B

Weinberg
Symphony 17, 1st movement
Siberian State SO
Lande

springrite

Quote from: Ken B on March 20, 2019, 09:10:29 PM
George Lloyd
Symphony 11
First movement
Albany SO, Lloyd
Only one movement at a time today?

Now: Bach Two and Three Part Inventions (Craig Sheppard)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Ken B

Quote from: springrite on March 20, 2019, 09:34:14 PM
Only one movement at a time today?

Now: Bach Two and Three Part Inventions (Craig Sheppard)

No time for the full Lloyd.

I was less enamoured of 11/1 than the others here ...

Que

Morning listening - another souvenir from Lisbon:

Twelve harpsichord sonatas from ca. 1755.
José Carlos Araújo plays a copy after an harpsichord by Giovanni Battista Giusti 1693.

Q

king ubu

Olga Scheps playing Satie, my late night listen yesterday and the night before - outstanding, methinks!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

San Antone

Clarinet Trio in A Minor, op. 114

Biffo

Alwyn: Lyra Angelica - Concerto for Harp and Orchestra - Sidonie Goosens (harp) with the BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Sir John Barbirolli

Traverso

ShineyMcShineShine

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 20, 2019, 10:41:52 AM
:)

The Document boxes I've come across seem to be reproductions of out-of-print EMI box sets, with no attribution or licensing information, and with the label name absent except in little letters on the back. There is a web address on the back, but when you go there it says "under construction." Is this legit or some sort of pirate label?

I'm only familiar with their jazz/R&B output, which is all public domain in Europe. Technically it's not supposed to be sold in the U.S. because it's still under copyright here, but most merchants don't seem to care. Since they're not licensed they don't have access to the master tapes/discs and therefore are using commercially released CDs as their source material. They might "remaster" it by de-noising it or equalizing it in Audacity, or something like that. There are better and worse PD labels, and IMO Document/Membran is one of those to avoid.

Mirror Image

Prokofiev
Piano Sonata No. 2 in D minor, Op. 14
Vladimir Ovchinnikov, piano

Going in numerical order and really enjoying this set much more than Chiu's on Harmonia Mundi, which I think suffered from a harsh audio quality.

San Antone

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: ShineyMcShineShine on March 21, 2019, 05:10:30 AM
I'm only familiar with their jazz/R&B output, which is all public domain in Europe. Technically it's not supposed to be sold in the U.S. because it's still under copyright here, but most merchants don't seem to care. Since they're not licensed they don't have access to the master tapes/discs and therefore are using commercially released CDs as their source material. They might "remaster" it by de-noising it or equalizing it in Audacity, or something like that. There are better and worse PD labels, and IMO Document/Membran is one of those to avoid.

Hmmm. I thought that the accepted interpretation was that if a recording went out of copyright you are allowed to copy the original sound carrier, i.e., the 78 shellac discs, or whatever. You are not allowed to copy from a later embodiment, i.e. a CD release of the same material.

Anyway I'm not comfortable supporting this enterprise, especially since it seems like they're selling a rip of the EMI box set.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Didn't have much time so opted for something brief. Dag Wiren Symphony No 4.

[asin]B000009COX[/asin]

It was ok. There are two moderately slow movements that frame a brief scherzo-like central movement. The music is relatively mild and built up by playing with short melodic motifs. Some attractive sonorities, melodies, rhythms. Charming music that doesn't seem to exploit the full expressive capability of the orchestra. The sort of music where I feel like, "okay, I got it, next symphony."

Ken B

Stravinsky
Apollo
Saito Kinen, Ozawa

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 21, 2019, 06:36:19 AM
Didn't have much time so opted for something brief. Dag Wiren Symphony No 4.

[asin]B000009COX[/asin]

It was ok. There are two moderately slow movements that frame a brief scherzo-like central movement. The music is relatively mild and built up by playing with short melodic motifs. Some attractive sonorities, melodies, rhythms. Charming music that doesn't seem to exploit the full expressive capability of the orchestra. The sort of music where I feel like, "okay, I got it, next symphony."

Pretty much explains my feeling about Wiren in general. Every time I hear one of his works, I say to myself "That's it?" :D