Quote from: Traverso on April 18, 2019, 08:48:07 AM
Bruckner

Symphonie No.7  The Concertgebouw Orchestra

In higher spheres with Anton.

Very nice.

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 18, 2019, 08:56:29 AM
Very nice.

I grew up with Haitink and always liked him.I recently purchased this CD ,one of my earliest LP's at last on CD.It's a long time ago that I heard these and not only for nostalgic reasons I like to hear these two symphonies again.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Been listening to this release again.

[asin]B07FSGK3GJ[/asin]

The Cello Concerto has finally sunk in, especially the splendid second movement. The Grand Fantasia and Toccata seemed to impress me more in the Hickox/Fowke recording. The Nocturne is nicely done. The Eclogue has it's moments (especially the opening, where it sounds almost like a Bach invention) but it seems to disintegrate towards the end.

aligreto

Brahms: Violin Concerto [Szeryng/Monteux]

This wonderful work is given a powerful, robust performance here. The direction is controlled but driven and the playing is vibrant and emotionally laden and with great sensitivity in places.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on April 18, 2019, 09:15:41 AM
I grew up with Haitink and always liked him.I recently purchased this CD ,one of my earliest LP's at last on CD.It's a long time ago that I heard these and not only for nostalgic reasons I like to hear these two symphonies again.

An interesting looking CD, I must admit.

aligreto

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 18, 2019, 09:33:34 AM
Been listening to this release again.

[asin]B07FSGK3GJ[/asin]

The Cello Concerto has finally sunk in, especially the splendid second movement. The Grand Fantasia and Toccata seemed to impress me more in the Hickox/Fowke recording. The Nocturne is nicely done. The Eclogue has it's moments (especially the opening, where it sounds almost like a Bach invention) but it seems to disintegrate towards the end.

Admittedly I only have one recording of the Finzi Cello Concerto [see below] But I find it to be a wonderful, majestic work, particularly that wonderful, poignant slow movement that you mention. The young Yo Yo Ma gives a splendid performance under the direction of Handley.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: aligreto on April 18, 2019, 10:32:21 AM
Admittedly I only have one recording of the Finzi Cello Concerto [see below] But I find it to be a wonderful, majestic work, particularly that wonderful, poignant slow movement that you mention. The young Yo Yo Ma gives a splendid performance under the direction of Handley.

I have that disc also, I should listen to it. My first listen to the work was the Wallfisch recording, which I recall finding somewhat unfocused compared with Watkins.

Do you also like the Clarinet Concerto on that disk? My reference recording is Thea King/Francis on Hyperion

Kontrapunctus

Warning: His piano has pedals and dynamics, and he is not afraid to use them. No dainty HIPster pecking for him! :) Great sound.

Daverz

Quote from: Biffo on April 18, 2019, 03:48:05 AM
Roussel: Evocations - Michel Plasson conducting Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse, Orfeon Donostiarra & soloists.

I think I like this more than the recent Chandos recording.  The singing, brief as it is, is much better, for one thing.

[asin]B07M6TL69W[/asin][asin]B00E0L7BK2[/asin]

Iota

Quote from: rickardg on April 18, 2019, 02:11:30 AM
Can Çakmur, piano
Works by Beethoven/Liszt, Schubert, Haydn, Say, Bartók, Sasaki

[asin] B07NRKG84M[/asin]

May I ask what you thought of it? I was listening to that a few days ago and really liked what I've heard so far.

His playing struck me as seen from the outside rather than inside, but in a good way, if that makes any sense. He appears to take a refined and thoughtful approach, which produces a delightful Haydn variations and a magical Night's Music (from Out of Doors Suite) for example. And at times his control of technical challenges is electrifying (e.g The Chase, also from OoDS).
I get the impression he likes to have intense control of all aspects of the music to achieve expressive results, which is very interesting. Am looking forward to playing the cd again, including the pieces I've not yet heard..

SimonNZ

and off to a performance of SJP tonight

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: vandermolen on April 18, 2019, 02:52:31 AM
As always a very interesting selection Cesar! What did you make of the VL symphony and the Moeran disc?

Thanks Jeffrey! I didn't listen any whole disc, only the Sinfoniettas. I sometimes play complete discs. I don't have strong memories about the VL's Symphony, but the Moeran is awe-inspiring. It's not the most convincing rendition of the latter, but it's not bad at all either.

SymphonicAddict

This time I did play the whole disc!

Two magnificent works, each composed with a unique and discernible style.

SimonNZ

SymphonicAddict

Violin sonata No. 1

Arguably the best Russian violin sonata in a flawless rendition. Amazing piece.

Mirror Image

Martinů
Oboe Concerto
Ivan Séquardt, oboe
Václav Neumann, conductor
Czech Philharmonic Orchestra

SimonNZ

Peterloo Overture

The Confession of Isobel Gowdie

Mirror Image

All of this Arnold talk led me to listen to this:

Arnold
Symphony No. 7
Andrew Penny, conductor
National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland

vandermolen

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 18, 2019, 07:31:29 PM

Peterloo Overture

The Confession of Isobel Gowdie
What's it like Simon? It's also being performed at the Proms this year.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on April 18, 2019, 03:44:06 PM
Thanks Jeffrey! I didn't listen any whole disc, only the Sinfoniettas. I sometimes play complete discs. I don't have strong memories about the VL's Symphony, but the Moeran is awe-inspiring. It's not the most convincing rendition of the latter, but it's not bad at all either.
Thanks Cesar and I agree about the Moeran - one of my favourite symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).