What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

More seasonal music from Spain (Catalonia): Lamentationes by early Baroque comoposer Joan Baptista Comes:

[asin]B004WP1VLG[/asin]
Ravishing!  :)

Fanfare review: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/Name/Alicia-Alcayna/Performer/235087-2

Q

aligreto

Mozart: Symphony No. 40 [Norrington]

This is a hard nosed, unsentimental account of this work. The tempi are brisk, and the recorded sound is good and full. There is good power, energy and drive in the performance.

aligreto

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 19, 2019, 01:06:29 PM
Be thankful it is CD covers, and not a presentation of scans of your pancreas.  :o
:)

Very true  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: Ken B on April 19, 2019, 01:10:36 PM
He [Martinu] is well worth exploring. All the symphonies are excellent, but also look for the Double Concerto.
We had a discussion about the standard repertory. I think Martinu is one of the composers with the best chance to get into it, because 5he symphonies are all directly appealing and not too long. The world would be a better place if a few renditions of La Mer were replaced by a Martinu ...

I have not heard the Double Concerto.
Brave words on La Mer  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on April 19, 2019, 05:10:56 PM

That was the first symphony I ever listened by Tubin. I listened on the radio (it was the 3rd movement, actually) around 2006, at first I thought it was something by Shostakovich, those militaristic rhythms reminded me of him. At that time I was not as knowledgeable about classical music as I am now. Just when the symphony ended, I could hear the name of both the composer and the work. I remember being quite intrigued by a composer I had never heard of. Since then, I've been a declared Tubin fan!

When I had bought the set I knew very little of Tubin and therefore I did not know what to expect from the music. To date, I have been more than impressed.

aligreto

Guillaume Faugues: Basse Danse - A very engaging piece of danse music with a strong rhythmic flavour.
Francisco Varoter: Voi che passate - A somewhat plaintive but attractive song which is very well delivered.
Ioan Ambrosio Dalza: Pavana alla veneziana, saltarello, piva - A wonderful instrumental piece with very engaging musical textures.

Que

Marvellous Lamentazioni from Italy:

[asin]B004JP8O96[/asin]
Q

aligreto

Honegger: Cello Concerto [Rozhdestvensky/Rostropovich]

This is a relatively short but very worthwhile listen. The first movement is marked by the juxtaposition of alternating tender, lyrical passages and turbulent episodes. The slow movement is highly intense, haunting and forlorn in tone and the performance is electric. The final section is somewhat lighter in tone but is still disconcerting and somewhat whimsical. The final movement is propelled by a forward momentum that is marked by a signature tune which is constantly being ambushed by flitting counterpoint. This live performance is very engaging in its power and intensity, both of which are well caught on this recording.

king ubu

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Que

SimonNZ

Talked a friend who is trying to get into classical to buy the Davrath Auvergne when I saw it in a secondhand shop today. We went back to his house and played it and he was immediately impressed.

Traverso

Bach

Österliche Freudenzeit

Oster Oratorium

Kommt.eilet und laufet ihr flüchtigen Füsse BWV 249

Osterfesttag 

Bleib bei uns,dennn es will Abend werden BWV 6

Madiel

I finally got around to having my opera lessons in Danish. Or my Danish lessons in opera...

And what a glorious thing it is. As a person who isn't really into opera... I can definitely get into this. To the point where I actually laughed out loud a few times, especially in the First Act.

The recording is fabulous. The only downside is that the libretto translation prefers rhyming over meaning. Clearly, it's a translation that's designed to be suitable for singing, but as I'm listening to a recording in Danish I don't need a translation I can sing, I need one that properly translates what the singers on the recording are singing.  But as far as these rhyming things go, it's not too bad at actually conveying the same meaning as the original.

I shall just have to practise my Danish to the point where I don't need the translation at all. And listen to this a lot. Because it's without doubt the best time I've had with a full-length opera.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Biffo

Victoria: Tenebrae Responsories for Holy Saturday - Westminster Cathedral Choir conducted by David Hill

aligreto

Mahler: Das Knaben Wunderhorn [Szell]

Two towering vocal greats expertly performing and being led by the great Szell conducting the London Symphony Orchestra makes for compelling listening.

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on April 20, 2019, 04:15:15 AM
I finally got around to having my opera lessons in Danish. Or my Danish lessons in opera...

And what a glorious thing it is. As a person who isn't really into opera... I can definitely get into this. To the point where I actually laughed out loud a few times, especially in the First Act.

The recording is fabulous. The only downside is that the libretto translation prefers rhyming over meaning. Clearly, it's a translation that's designed to be suitable for singing, but as I'm listening to a recording in Danish I don't need a translation I can sing, I need one that properly translates what the singers on the recording are singing.  But as far as these rhyming things go, it's not too bad at actually conveying the same meaning as the original.

I shall just have to practise my Danish to the point where I don't need the translation at all. And listen to this a lot. Because it's without doubt the best time I've had with a full-length opera.

Interesting experience, thanks for sharing.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

aligreto

Quote from: SimonNZ on April 20, 2019, 02:58:50 AM

Talked a friend who is trying to get into classical to buy the Davrath Auvergne when I saw it in a secondhand shop today. We went back to his house and played it and he was immediately impressed.

Good move on your part. Davrath is probably my favourite singer of these songs.

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis - Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra conducted by Constantin Silvestri - beautiful sound, recorded in Winchester Cathedral.

amw

Sonata No 1 Op 11. One of the best interpretations of this difficult to interpret sonata. Demidenko is a top-notch Schumannian and I guess I have to track down his Carnaval/Papillons CD now.