What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Stravinsky

Le Chant du Rossignol   (1917 )  Radio-Symphonie Orchester Berlin  Ricardo Chailly

Pulcinella  ( 1920 )     Concertgebouw Orchestra   Riccardo Chailly

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 20, 2019, 04:42:35 AM
Mahler: Das Knaben Wunderhorn [Szell]

Two towering vocal greats expertly performing and being led by the great Szell conducting the London Symphony Orchestra makes for compelling listening.

The finest music of Mahler IMO   ;)

Biffo

Tallis: Lamentations of Jeremiah I & II - Winchester Cathedral Choir conducted by David Hill

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on April 20, 2019, 05:02:13 AM

If by "the finest" you mean the most immediately appealing, the most simple (but not simplistic), the most childlike (but not childish), in the most vulgar yet the most effective orchestration, music Mahler ever wrote, then I do wholeheartedly agree. 8)

Honestly, at home I'd rather take DKWH over any of his symphonies except 1, 3 and 4 every day and night. Imho, Mahler's symphonies are best experienced live in the coincert hall.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

cilgwyn

Playing,now! Cd 2,of this set;which arrived today,in pristine condition.

Todd

Perfectly fine HIP Etudes.  Of course, coming so soon after the mighty YES's set, this one was bound to suffer in comparison.  It's sort of like new Brahms solo piano recordings in a post-Volodos world.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

San Antone

Quote from: amw on April 20, 2019, 04:55:10 AM

Sonata No 1 Op 11. One of the best interpretations of this difficult to interpret sonata. Demidenko is a top-notch Schumannian and I guess I have to track down his Carnaval/Papillons CD now.

Everything I've heard from Demidenko has been excellent, especially his Liszt B Minor Sonata.  I think he is a first rate pianist that appears to fly under the radar of a lot of folks.  I could be wrong, but that has been my impression.

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on April 20, 2019, 05:26:17 AM
If by "the finest" you mean the most immediately appealing, the most simple (but not simplistic), the most childlike (but not childish), in the most vulgar yet the most effective orchestration, music Mahler ever wrote, then I do wholeheartedly agree. 8)

Honestly, at home I'd rather take DKWH over any of his symphonies except 1, 3 and 4 every day and night. Imho, Mahler's symphonies are best experienced live in the coincert hall.

I wonder how many eggs you already have devoured too hasty. :D
By the way,it's a pity that you have such a small living room. :D

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on April 20, 2019, 05:55:04 AM
I wonder how many eggs you already have devoured too hasty. :D

Haven't had any egg since the day before yesterday. Does three beer bottles count, instead?   ;D

Seriously now, I didn't get the joke, please enlighten me.  :)

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on April 20, 2019, 06:01:52 AM
Haven't had any egg since the day before yesterday. Does three beer bottles count, instead?   ;D

Seriously now, I didn't get the joke, please enlighten me.  :)

Your livingroom seemes too smal to put in the orchestra of course,not meant childlike but childish. :D

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on April 20, 2019, 05:56:18 AM
Everything I've heard from Demidenko has been excellent, especially his Liszt B Minor Sonata.  I think he is a first rate pianist that appears to fly under the radar of a lot of folks.  I could be wrong, but that has been my impression.

I agree 150 %. I had the privilege and joy of hearing Demidenko live in Bucharest. He played Rachmaninoff's 2nd PC: an utterly ravishing performance that I will never forget --- and he gave no less than five (sic!) encores, not a single one of which was perfunctory; he obviously poured all his soul in all of them. He is the best pianist I've ever heard live with orchestra (the best solo pianist I've ever heard live is Andrei Gavrilov), and his unassuming, warm and gentle stage persona appealed to me greatly as well. I have a lot of his recordings, my favorite being his Scarlatti sonatas, Schubert piano music and Tchaikovsky/Scriabin PCs. An extremely fine pianist coupled with an extremelly fine human being.

Florestan

Quote from: Traverso on April 20, 2019, 06:06:25 AM
Your livingroom seemes too smal to put in the orchestra of course,not meant childlike but childish. :D

Hah! Indeed, my living room would not even acommodate a string quartet!  :D

aligreto

Nielsen: Symphony No. 2 [Schmidt]

I like this version. The first movement has a wonderful flighty energy to it. The second movement is calm and peaceful suggesting an idyllic pastorale. The third movement is wonderfully dark and brooding with luscious harmonies enhancing the dark tone and mood. The final movement here is again full of energy and is driven in a great spirit.

aligreto

Quote from: Traverso on April 20, 2019, 05:02:13 AM

I think that Gustav was also pleased with it as he drew much from it later.

Traverso

Quote from: Florestan on April 20, 2019, 06:19:58 AM
Hah! Indeed, my living room would not even acommodate a string quartet!  :D

oh dear....a Jewish harp quartet perhaps ? ::)

Traverso

Les Percussions de Strasbourg

CD 8

Hermann Scherchen – Shen
Makoto Shinohara – Alternances
Maurice Ohana – Quatre études chorégraphiques
Alain Louvier – Candrakâla*
Alain Louvier – Shima*
Yoshihisa Taïra – Hiérophonie V

https://www.percussionsdestrasbourg.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Livret_Percussions_de_Strasbourg_50e1.pdf

aligreto

Violin Concerto [von Karajan/Ferras]

The playing here is superb with great intonation from Ferras. The performance is emotionally powerful and buoyant and is one of the most intense, if not quite as bleak,  performances that I have heard. I find that the performance of the first movement in particular is stunning. In the slow movement the detail of the orchestral scoring is enhanced in this performance and the solo performance is outstanding: the power and intensity throughout are both enthralling in this gripping performance. The tempo picks up in the final movement and the power, performance and intensity prevails and are unrelenting. This is a truly powerfully committed and compelling performance. Needless to say I like it!

Traverso

Quote from: aligreto on April 20, 2019, 08:54:47 AM
Violin Concerto [von Karajan/Ferras]

The playing here is superb with great intonation from Ferras. The performance is emotionally powerful and buoyant and is one of the most intense, if not quite as bleak,  performances that I have heard. I find that the performance of the first movement in particular is stunning. In the slow movement the detail of the orchestral scoring is enhanced in this performance and the solo performance is outstanding: the power and intensity throughout are both enthralling in this gripping performance. The tempo picks up in the final movement and the power, performance and intensity prevails and are unrelenting. This is a truly powerfully committed and compelling performance. Needless to say I like it!

I like it to  ;)

Traverso

Mozart

Pianoconcerto No.23  Alfred Brendel /Academy-Neville Marriner

SonicMan46

Victoria, Tomás Luis de - Responsories Tenebrae & Sacred Works w/ the performers on the cover art below - the 'Sacred Works' is a 10-CD box recorded from 2008-2011 - not sure that I'll listen to all the discs, but beautiful and relaxing music; and also brings me to the end of my Medieval/Renaissance collection listening - next up?  Dave :)

QuoteTomás Luis de Victoria (c. 1548–1611) was the most famous composer in 16th-century Spain, and was one of the most important composers of the Counter-Reformation, along with Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina and Orlando di Lasso. Victoria was not only a composer, but also an accomplished organist and singer as well as a Catholic priest. However, he preferred the life of a composer to that of a performer. (Source)