Ken B

R Schumann
Piano Trios
Beaux Arts Trio

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vandermolen

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 21, 2019, 09:43:47 AM
Alwyn, William (1905-1985) - Symphonies & Chamber Works - having ended listening to my 'Early Music' collection, on to British Composers starting w/ Alwyn - have over a dozen discs, so will start w/ the ones below - the Symphonies are in a 3-CD box, so will do a disc a day; reviews attached of the 'chamber discs' - :)  Dave

His Violin Concerto has been a great recent discovery for me. I enjoy all the symphonies and 'The Magic Island' is my favourite musical work based on Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Earlier today - Symphony 3:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: vandermolen on April 21, 2019, 02:25:49 PM
Earlier today - Symphony 3:

Great CD, but shockingly short program. I remember the golden key suite also being outstanding.

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on April 21, 2019, 02:46:10 PM
Great CD, but shockingly short program. I remember the golden key suite also being outstanding.
Oh thanks! I'm not sure I've heard it yet but will do now.

Madiel

Quote from: ritter on April 21, 2019, 09:16:31 AM
Ah, of course. And the Summer solstice falls on June 8th?  ;)

December 22, actually...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Dvorak String Quintet op.97 over breakfast.

At least going by the performances I own, I think this is my favourite of Dvorak's 'American' works.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

listener

TELEMANN:  Missa Brevis
Psalm 71 (Deus jusicium tuum),  Cantata: Alles redet itzt und singet
Das Kleine Konzert,   Hermann Max, cond.
REUBKE:  The 94th Psalm (Sonata in c for organ)
SCHUMANN:  Six Fugues on B-A-C-H,  op. 60
Kevin Bowyer, organ of Odense Cathedral
CHAUSSON: Piano Quartet op. 30   - Les Musiciens
COPLAND: "Vitebsk" – Studt on Jewish Theme  for piano trio  - Trio Wanderer
JANÁČEK: On  an overgrown path   - Alain Planès, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Madiel

Holmboe, Symphony No.5

It was my first Holmboe experience. And that opening movement the whole symphony still makes a pretty awesome introduction to Holmboe, one of the best from (towards the end of) the first phase of his career.

Madiel

Faure

Barcarolle no.4 (op.44) - gorgeously subtle.
Valse-Caprice no.2 (op.38) - sparkling.

JBS

Acquainting myself with a composer I don't know
[asin]B07JYQN74Z[/asin]
(Reiissue by Naxos of an ASV recording)
Just started, but the first ten minutes are promising.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: aligreto on April 21, 2019, 11:33:18 AM
Copland: Appalachian Spring [Ormandy]

I particularly like the orchestral writing in the Introduction to this work.
Yes, those wide-open intervals so typical of Copland and you wouldn't mistake it for anyone else.

Incidentally the Fabulous Philadelphians under Ormandy recorded the complete score 15 yrs prior as in this LP but I cannot find a CD version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHWcHEMy-Q

Madiel

HIPster

Quote from: JBS on April 21, 2019, 11:54:34 AM
Now on the last CD of this set, Bruckner 9
[asin]B008I15774[/asin]

I followed your lead on this and ordered this set from Arkiv Music while it was on sale.  It's a really excellent set!

The Bruckner discs are very much to my liking.  :)

TD:

[asin]B075NWW7YV[/asin]

Superb performances!  The Finished - Unfinished Symphony is the edition put together by Mario Venzago.  Mostly MI, but period style percussion is utilized.

Sound is vivid and clear.
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Madiel

Bridge, There is a Willow Grows Aslant a Brook

Bleak and moody music. Listening to Bridge in chronological order highlights that this has a similar tone to some of the piano pieces of the same period. But this is the first piece actually conceived for orchestra that he wrote in many, many years. There are some big ones to come.

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on April 21, 2019, 05:05:06 PM
[asin]B07JYQN74Z[/asin]
There was a big discussion of him here about a year or two ago.
TD Beethoven, Piano sonata 31, Brendel (Phillips analog)

Daverz

Quote from: JBS on April 21, 2019, 05:05:06 PM
[asin]B07JYQN74Z[/asin]

I'm really falling in love with Marx.  ;D

His sound world is much airier and Mediterranean than the name might lead one to believe.

JBS

Quote from: Daverz on April 21, 2019, 06:16:52 PM
I'm really falling in love with Marx.  ;D

His sound world is much airier and Mediterranean than the name might lead one to believe.

I liked what I heard. The second CD in this series is in my pile, perhaps tomorrow.

But now
[asin]B07J3B94LM[/asin]
CD 1
Mozart
SQs in G and C KV 387 and 465