What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: André on April 22, 2019, 05:32:35 AM
Based on your recommendation I purchased both discs a few months ago, when the Toccata discs were on sale. I haven't listened to them yet, but will in due time  :).

I'd love to know what you think of them Andre and am optimistic that you'll enjoy them. I've had some very nice email contact with Robin Walker.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 22, 2019, 08:42:30 AM
Symphony No. 8 [Jarvi]

The dark and brooding first movement is filled with tension. The atmosphere is heavy and I feel that a dark story is being told here. The pace and the tone are both increased and somewhat lightened respectively in the second movement. The mood remains ruminative however with many questions being asked. The third movement continues in the same vein as the previous two. The tension and drama are both continued and are both ably represented by the very fine orchestration. The opening harmonies of the final movement are wonderful and make for a very interesting sound world; one of discord and conflict. This feeling is developed and augmented by drama into a heightened sense which is ultimately dissipated at the conclusion of the work.
Interesting analysis. 1-5 and 10 remain my favourites. I must listen again to No.8.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SonicMan46

Alwyn, William (1905-1985) - wide assortment of works on the two discs below (reviews attached, if interested) - Dave :)

aligreto

Dvorak: Piano Quintet No. 1 [Panocha Quartet/Panenka]

This is a powerful, exciting and lyrical work which is actually given a powerful, exciting and lyrical performance here.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 22, 2019, 10:47:11 AM

Interesting analysis. 1-5 and 10 remain my favourites. I must listen again to No.8.

It is definitely worth some more attentive listening. I trust that you will have some success with it.

vandermolen

Delius 'In a Summer Garden':

Ken B

Beethoven
PC 2
Gulda , VPO, Stein

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Traverso on April 22, 2019, 05:30:32 AM
Fauré

CD 1

Sonata For Violin And Piano No.1 In A Major, Op.15   
Sonata For Violin And Piano No.2 In E Minor, Op.108   
Berceuse For Violin And Piano In D Major, Op.16
Romance For Violin And Piano In B Flat Major, Op.28
Morceau De Lecture A Vue For Violin And Piano
Sicilienne For Cello And Piano In G Minor, Op.78
Elegie For Cello And Piano In C Minor, Op.24
Elegie Pour Violoncelle Et Piano En Ut Mineur, Op.24

The violin and cello sonatas from that set struck me as outstanding. For a contrasting reading of the the Cello Sonata I suggest the recording by Bruns , which which features an Erard piano and a period cello for a more transparent sound.

Kontrapunctus

JBS

The Violin Concerto is impressive enough to qualify it a piece "that blows me away".  The title piece is good but it didn't impress me the way it impressed the other Jeffrey (vandermolen).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Kontrapunctus

I found this on Qobuz today. It's only in standard CD resolution, but man does it sound good! I can only imagine how the SACD sounds, but at the current $335, I'm not likely to find out. Her playing is excellent, too.

SymphonicAddict

SymphonicAddict

Mandryka

This composer is the real deal!  And he's got quite a distinctive voice.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

ritter

Friedrich Gulda plays W.A. Mozart's PCs No. 23 & 26, with Nikolaus Harnoncourt conducting the RCO.

[asin]B000024DVW[/asin]

aligreto

Haydn Symphony No. 25 [Kuijken]

Madiel

Mahler Symphony No.2 again. Trying to embed the last movement in particular.

Or maybe I'm just scared of moving on to the massive 3rd which I don't know at all...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Beethoven: Symphony No. 8 [Monteux]

Madiel

Mozart, String Quartet No.19 in C

Sure, the introduction of the 1st movement is famous. But for me the 2nd movement is where the magic happens. Those cello/violin echoes. Gah.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

aligreto

Bizet: Symphony in C [Ozawa]

A very fine, light, bright, vivacious and airy rendition of this work.