Boulez

Répons
Dialoque de l'ombre double

Répons is an exciting piece of music.

Traverso

Daverz

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 1, via Qobuz

[asin]B07NRTDS5M[/asin]

Despite or because of the all the HIP virtues of under-powered, white-toned strings, buzzing brass, and banging kettledrums, I found this pretty thrilling.  Once again amazed that this is the work of a 15-year old boy.

ritter

Quote from: Traverso on April 23, 2019, 04:04:32 AM

Répons is an exciting piece of music.

+1. And experienced live, it's dazzling!  :)

THREAD DUTY:

After Mozart earlier this morning, some French music now:

The major work on this CD is d'Indy's Symphony No. 3, "De bello gallico", op. 73, which Ive always found musically rather appealing, programmatically less so (an optimistic and victorious depiction of France's participation in WW1). Solid performances by Theodor Guschlbauer and the Strasbourg band.

[asin]B000005E8R[/asin]Some great Milhaud performances, stemming from Kent Nagano's productive stint at the Lyons opera in the 90s. Very enjoyable.

Papy Oli

Hello all,

Mahler and Baker to start the afternoon.

[asin]B000023Z0N[/asin]
Olivier

aligreto

Beethoven: Rondo a Capriccio Op. 129 [Kempff]

Rage over a lost penny is my favourite title for a work.

aligreto

aligreto

cilgwyn

This cd has been playing all morning (I'm listening via cordless headphones). It's Pomp & Circumstance March No1,at the moment! I'm standing to attention,now,during the famous tune!! ;D

Madiel

Beethoven, Piano/winds quintet op.16

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Debussy
Études
Momo Kodama, piano

Papy Oli

Quote from: aligreto on April 23, 2019, 04:48:26 AM
That is a fine disc.

Very fine indeed. Had not listened to it in ages and the recent Janet Baker documentary on the BBC spurred me to dig it out.

TD : Walton - symphonies 1 & 2 / Mackerras

Previous attempts to go through those symphonies properly were interrupted. Let's try again.
Olivier

Traverso

Gluck

Small step from Boulez to Gluck.:)

1956 mono

Mirror Image

Debussy
Études
Roger Muraro, piano

Ken B

aligreto

Schubert: Quintet Op. 163 D.956 [Ma/Cleveland Quartet]

Rinaldo

Out now.

[asin]B07NRJ2JLH[/asin]
You might remember Shaw for her Pulitzer-winning Partita for 8 voices, this disc consists of her pieces for the SQ. I've been a fan for a few years and the new stuff didn't disappoint.

Papy Oli

Rameau - Les Indes Galantes (C. Rousset)

[asin]B001P9276A[/asin]
Olivier

vandermolen

Quote from: Papy Oli on April 23, 2019, 06:05:05 AM
Very fine indeed. Had not listened to it in ages and the recent Janet Baker documentary on the BBC spurred me to dig it out.

TD : Walton - symphonies 1 & 2 / Mackerras

Previous attempts to go through those symphonies properly were interrupted. Let's try again.
Another fine disc!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

SonicMan46

Alwyn, William (1905-1985) - finishing up my Alwyn collection this morning w/ the discs below - could easily add some more, e.g. Ashley Wass has a second piano offering and I have none of his 'film music' - but happy w/ what I've heard the last few days.  Dave :)