What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on May 20, 2019, 02:21:32 AM
Vaughan Williams: Romance for Viola and Pianoforte; Six Studies in English Folk Song; Fantasia on Greensleeves - Martin Outram (viola) & Julian Rolton (piano) - more gems from the Viola Fantasia album (Albion Records)
Yes, it's a lovely album.

TD:

Symphony 4 'Of Time and the River'
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Dutilleux: Symphony No 1 - BBC Phiharmonic conducted by Jan Pascal Tortelier

amw

Quote from: Madiel on May 20, 2019, 01:12:01 AM
Which yet again is in E flat major.
It was Beethoven's favourite key, so not that odd.

Madiel

Quote from: amw on May 20, 2019, 03:44:15 AM
It was Beethoven's favourite key, so not that odd.

Yeah, I was vaguely aware that he was fond of it, and I know there's a particular later period where it dominates for a couple of years. I just wasn't prepared for bumping up against it quite so many times in the one genre.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Traverso

Victoria de Los Angeles

CD 4

Sacrati-Scarlatti-Handel-Schubert-Brahms-Fauré-Purcell-Haydn-etc.

https://www.youtube.com/v/FXBxEzAFhCQ

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on May 20, 2019, 03:42:27 AM
Dutilleux: Symphony No 1 - BBC Phiharmonic conducted by Jan Pascal Tortelier
I need to listen to more Dutilleux as I've liked everything that I've heard. John (MI) is a fan.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2019, 04:15:58 AM
I need to listen to more Dutilleux as I've liked everything that I've heard. John (MI) is a fan.

For years I just had one album of Dutilleux - Metaboles etc from Rostropovitch and Sacher (Erato) - but recently I have been exploring further. Purchase of the symphonies was prompted by recent postings. Greatly enjoyed Symphony No 1, an early work and not quite what I expected.

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on May 20, 2019, 01:06:46 AM
Yeah, but then try finding the particular thing you want within that little object. Can be a challenge.

Not if it's well organized. I can find anything in a few seconds.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

First listen to this new arrival (Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting Lutosławski ):

[asin]B000002B6O[/asin]
I got this for Chantefleurs et Chantefables (a new work for me), as I am a great admirer of Dawn Upshaw. The Piano Concerto I already know from Krystian Zimerman's first regcofding on DG. The LAPO Fanfare and and Symphony No. 2 also new to me.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Florestan on May 20, 2019, 04:47:15 AM
Not if it's well organized. I can find anything in a few seconds.

Exactly - tagged by composer/title/artist makes it s quicker search (I use Media Monkey) than looking along a shelf.  The key is consistent labeling.  I'm amazed going back through things how often I've put a typo into a name!

Harry

TD. Second listen.
Dresden-
Califano, Fasch, Heinichen, Lotti. Quantz, Telemann, Vivaldi.
Zefiro, Alfredo Bernardini.

No complaints here, its a fabulous performance.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Biffo

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No 4 in F minor - Paris Conservatoire Orchestra conducted by Albert Wolff - my first ever Tchaik. 4, vintage 1959 Decca sound here on a CD. Characteristic French brass giving an edge to a fine dramatic performance.

Zeus

Ben Johnson's The Masque Of Oberon
Philip Pickett: Musicians Of The Globe
Philips

"There is no progress in art, any more than there is progress in making love. There are simply different ways of doing it." – Emmanuel Radnitzky (Man Ray)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on May 20, 2019, 04:54:38 AM
First listen to this new arrival (Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting Lutosławski ):

[asin]B000002B6O[/asin]
I got this for Chantefleurs et Chantefables (a new work for me), as I am a great admirer of Dawn Upshaw. The Piano Concerto I already know from Krystian Zimerman's first recording on DG. The LAPO Fanfare and and Symphony No. 2 also new to me.

Good day, Rafael. Are you fan of Lutoslawski's?

P.S. That's an outstanding recording right there. Upshaw, per usual, is wonderful.

André

Mirror Image

Speaking of Lutoslawski...

First-Listen Mondays:

Lutoslawski
Piano Sonata
Bukoliki
Three pieces for young people
A Kiss of Roxanne
Zimowy Walc (Winter Waltz)
Melodie Ludowe
Two Studies
Invention
Zasłyszana melodyjka (An Overheard Tune)
Miniatura for 2 Pianos

Giorgio Koukl, piano
Virginia Rossetti, piano

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2019, 04:15:58 AM

Yes, I like Dutilleux very much. I need to spend more time with his music, though, as there's quite a few works I haven't heard yet.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 20, 2019, 06:55:19 AM
Yes, I like Dutilleux very much. I need to spend more time with his music, though, as there's quite a few works I haven't heard yet.

Symphony 2 was on the radio this afternoon. I enjoyed hearing it.

Thread duty:

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2019, 07:30:06 AM
Symphony 2 was on the radio this afternoon. I enjoyed hearing it.

Ah yes, 'Le double'. A fine piece. Do you remember the conductor/orchestra who performed it?

Harry

TD second listen.
A German Banquet
Trio Settecento.

Very entertaining, and well played and recorded.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."