Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Good morning all,

Haydn 55 & 56 / Hogwood

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]
Olivier

aligreto

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 5 [Maazel]

This is a very fine and exciting performance which is well paced without being over driven. The recording strikes me as being rich in tone.

aligreto

Quote from: Papy Oli on May 26, 2019, 02:50:15 AM
Good morning all,

Haydn 55 & 56 / Hogwood

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]

Good morning Papy. Great set that one.

Traverso

Schubert

piano sonata in A minor,Op.42,D 845
3 klavierstücke, D946 

Daverz

Quote from: aligreto on May 26, 2019, 03:31:09 AM
Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 5 [Maazel]

This is a very fine and exciting performance which is well paced without being over driven. The recording strikes me as being rich in tone.

A friend recommended that one to me when I was listening to a lot of recordings of 5.  Still one of the best.

aligreto

Beethoven: Violin Sonata Op. 24 "Spring" [Perlman/Ashkenazy]

The opening movement is light and fresh. The slow movement is poignant and dreamlike. The final movement is light, bright and dancing.

aligreto

Quote from: Daverz on May 26, 2019, 03:50:23 AM

A friend recommended that one to me when I was listening to a lot of recordings of 5.  Still one of the best.

Cheers Dave. Yes, most enjoyable indeed.

Que

Next:

[asin]B00CBIA0DG[/asin]
In the realm of Neapolitan Baroque music (I know, I know), this is pretty exciting!!  :)

https://youtu.be/-za-XzgCD_0

Q

Harry

Quote from: (: premont :) on May 26, 2019, 02:49:19 AM
Does this mean that you have parted with PC?

No but I have no CD rom drive in my computer.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Todd

Quote from: aligreto on May 25, 2019, 11:59:21 PM
You seem to have encountered a few duds recently.

That happens.  For instance:

The Prokofiev is meh+, the Mussorgsky most definitely meh.  In the case of the Joselson box, I decided to listen via streaming to see if I wanted to spend extra for a physical copy.  I do not want to spend extra.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

prémont

Quote from: "Harry" on May 26, 2019, 04:37:36 AM
No but I have no CD rom drive in my computer.

You only need to acquire an extern CD rom drive. And maybe an extern HD for the music.

In these days where so much music can be had only as downloads, there is too much to miss.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

aligreto

Schubert: Quintet in C [Alban Berg Quartet/Schiff]

The opening movement is a strong, assertive performance and interpretation with good pacing. The slow movement is intense in a profound way that is very good: it is an intimate interpretation. The Scherzo is a suitably lively and exuberant affair which is played with flair in the Presto section and with great poise and depth in the Andante section. The final movement is an assertive yet lyrical performance.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 25, 2019, 10:30:23 PM
Great CD John! One of my favourites too and the No.1 choice for Symphony 6 in 'BBC Music Magazine's Top 1000 CDs' book.

Yes, indeed. I also like the Boult (on EMI) a lot as well.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on May 26, 2019, 12:38:54 AM
Haydn: Symphony No. 96 [Hogwood]

Superb! I love Hogwood and his band. Pioneers of the HIP movement and his Haydn and Mozart sounds so fresh and new. Some of the HIP performances today in comparison sound mannered to my ears. Hogwood is greatly missed.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aligreto

Quote from: Todd on May 26, 2019, 05:07:44 AM

In the case of the Joselson box, I decided to listen via streaming to see if I wanted to spend extra for a physical copy.  I do not want to spend extra.

A good strategy in the circumstances.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on May 26, 2019, 05:14:06 AM
Superb! I love Hogwood and his band. Pioneers of the HIP movement and his Haydn and Mozart sounds so fresh and new. Some of the HIP performances today in comparison sound mannered to my ears. Hogwood is greatly missed.

Yes, agreed on all counts. It is always a joy to go back and listen to these recordings.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on May 26, 2019, 05:15:36 AM
Yes, agreed on all counts. It is always a joy to go back and listen to these recordings.

I came across a Hogwood Mozart set this week which surprised me. "Trainspotting" to an extreme so will post on vinyl thread shortly.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Now onto RVW's Sinfonia Antartica from the Thomson cycle:

Sinfonia Antartica ("Symphony No. 7")
Bryden Thomson, conductor
LSO

aligreto

Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 [Fricsay]

This is a robust and quite assertive opening movement. It is filled with passion, drama and intensity in its deliverance. The second movement is a typically graceful and captivating Tchaikovskian waltz which is very effectively executed. The third movement is an exciting, driven and somewhat agitated performance. The sombre and bleak mood of the final movement is greatly enhanced by the quality of the tone of the string section ably aided by the glorious brass. This is a very fine interpretation and performance of this work.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on May 26, 2019, 05:21:21 AM
I came across a Hogwood Mozart set this week which surprised me. "Trainspotting" to an extreme so will post on vinyl thread shortly.

I look forward to that. Trainspotting is what we do here.