What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I decided to listen to Brahms' set of chamber works he composed one summer.

Cello Sonata No.2 in F, op.99 (Tortelier/Pau)
Violin Sonata No.2 in A, op.100 (Osostowicz/Tomes)
Piano Trio No.3 in C minor, op.101 (Beaux Arts Trio)
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Harry

TD. Second listen.
Rubin Goldmark,Trio for Piano, Violin, and Cello, opus 1.
Felix Woyrsch, Trio for Piano, Violin, and Cello, opus 65.

Hyperion Trio.

Two trios, coupled together on a disc, and a fine contrast they are. Never heard anything from Rubin Goldmark, but his opus 1 is to my ears something very special, he has a gift for filigree detail, and at the same time displays a restrained and tension laden emotion, akin to Johannes Brahms. Woyrsch is altogether a different kettle of fish, his context achieves the same as Goldmark, but through a different language. Good performance and superb sound.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Biffo

Roussel: Sonata for violin and piano No 2, Op 28; Serenade, Op 30 for flute, harp and strings; Trio, Op 51 for flute, viola and cello - various instrumentalists - from the Erato Albert Roussel Edition.

Traverso

Heinrich Isaac

I wanted to hear again this beautiful song from Heinrich Isaac.It is performed very well

https://www.youtube.com/v/hpMIwuUg81E

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 22, 2019, 02:06:47 PM
I was about to order the Goltz when I noticed I had recently taken delivery of another HIP (I think) version, Amandine Beyer. I should listen to that first, I think. And there is the Huggett, and the Wallfisch (HIP too?) on my shelves. When am I going to listen to all this stuff?!?!

Gives you intimations of mortality, don't it!  ;D

ritter

First listen to Ernest Ansermet's recording of Honegger's Le Roi David:

I was so to say reconciled with this work some months ago (thanks to the Dutoit recording), and am enjoying it just as much this time around (even if Stéphane Audel's recitation is slightly old-styled and OTT). Ansermet conducts very eloquently, underscoring the harmonic modernity of the piece. Pas mal du tout!  :)

From ze big French box:

[asin]B00DT2322E[/asin]

cilgwyn

Another good Magic Flute! And it seems I can't get enough,Anneliese Rothenberger! A big fan! I just love the sound of her voice! :) Much more to her singing than,operetta!! Oh,and Edda Moser as the Queen of the Night!! Incidentally,my favourite Merry Widow;in the truly,excellent,and sadly,underrated,Wallberg recording of the operetta;which I actually,marginally,prefer to the,more celebrated,Schwarzkopf sets!

amw

Myself, sightreading the first three movements of the Hammerklavier the other day. Not as good as John Khouri.

I really should start practicing something, the challenge is always holding my own interest for long enough to deal with the constant mind-numbing repetition of practice, and not much music manages to be satisfying under those circumstances.

ritter

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 27, 2019, 04:21:10 AM
Another good Magic Flute! And it seems I can't get enough,Anneliese Rothenberger! A big fan! I just love the sound of her voice! :) Much more to her singing than,operetta!! Oh,and Edda Moser as the Queen of the Night!! Incidentally,my favourite Merry Widow;in the truly,excellent,and sadly,underrated,Wallberg recording of the operetta;which I actually,marginally,prefer to the,more celebrated,Schwarzkopf sets!

A recording I've known for many, many years now (I got the LPs some years after they were released,  when I was a teenager). I recently bought the CDs (in an incarnation different from the one you posted), and my fondness for this version was confirmed. A very nice Magic Flute!

Good day to you, cilgwyn !

Madiel

Faure, Barcarolle No.2

Earlier, Scriabin, 2 Impromptus op.10. Highly enjoyable.

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Holmboe, Symphony No.6 (1947)

To me an absolutely key work. Before this, nearly everything in Holmboe's catalogue has pretty clear roots in folk music. It's arguable that that source of inspiration remains, but the music layered over the top is getting more subtle and complex. This is one of his larger-scale orchestral works, and for me this is about the point where Holmboe stops sounding folk-based.

EDIT: Having said that... for some reason I think it would make a good ballet.

Harry

New acquisition. First listen.
George Lloyd.
Symphony No. 2 & 9.

BBC PO, George Lloyd.

What a magnificent composer Lloyd was. So unnoticed, ignored even by the country where he is born. He did not get much attention, even though many cannot stand in his shadow. It is a riddle to me, why there are not more recordings of his Symphonies, but then how can the performances of Lloyd be bettered? Anyways, the second movement of the second symphony "Largo" gives me goosebumps.  The way Lloyd weaves his musical web is truly unique. Such a true and original voice comes back with an even louder bang in the last movement of No 9, : Allegro con Brio". I should try to get some of his scores, for so many things are happening here, I need to see it in notes, to fully comprehend all the detailing. Sound and performance is superb. And no bronzing on this copy (Conifer)

ritter

And now, LvB's Symphony No. 1 and Symphony No. 3, "Eroica", in the very impressive cycle conducted by Carl Schuricht. Very vigourous, fresh and eloquent performances. The members of the Paris Conservatoire Orchestra play as if their lives depended on it, with very French sounding woodwinds and brass. Beautiful!

[asin]B008I15774[/asin]

Biffo

Vaughan Williams: Symphony No 5 in D major - Bryden Thomson conducting the London Symphony Orchestra - another winner from Thomson, stunning playing from the LSO

Harry

New acquisition. First listen.
Guillaume de Machaut, Messe de Notre Dame, 14the Century.
Organum, Marcel Peres.

I was aware of this recording being around, but I somehow forgot about it over many years, but after the big fire, I was again reminded about it, and bought it right away. Peres doesn't need introductions, he is on the top level of a performance practice that I loved over many years. My love for Peres has led me to Graindelavoix, for Schmelzer performs in the same manner. His interpretation which I have too, is one I treasure. So elated by what Peres does here, and happy to have at last this magnificent performance. Sound is good!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: vandermolen on May 26, 2019, 09:31:14 PM
What do you think of Riders to the Sea Sarge?

Utterly bleak from beginning to end but nevertheless I like it. I've known the Synge play since I was a teen (it was required reading in an English lit class) and VW serves it well. A masterpiece, I think.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Vaughan Williams Riders to the Sea, Meredith Davies conducting the Orchestra Nova of London, a performance swifter, more urgent, more dramatic than the Hickox. And his singers enunciate with greater clarity. Hickox, though, has a bleaker all-around atmosphere which suits the work.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Biffo

Parry: Blest Pair of Sirens - London Philharmonic Orchestra & Choir conducted by Sir Adrian Boult - don't know why, it just came over me.

SonicMan46

Vaughan Williams, Ralph (1872-1958) - Symphonies, Violin Concerto et al w/ André Previn, London SO, and others - just a mention that Previn died a few months ago (1929-2019) - he was much more than a classical music conductor/composer - his other mostly earlier accomplishments quoted below, including 4 Oscars; I own just 3 of his later 'jazz' recordings - probably my favorite is the one shown, however, I've not really explored his recording output in his younger years.  Dave :)

QuoteMotion Pictures (Music for 50 films - 4 Oscars)
Jazz Piano (recorded prolifically early in his career)
Classical Music (Conductor, Performer, & Composer) (Source)

Mirror Image