What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Traverso

Hindemith

String Quartet No.1 & No.4

Que

Quote from: Marc on June 13, 2019, 08:15:29 AM

[....] the Leonhardt/Harnoncourt church cantatas integral for Telefunken/Teldec. Not the most perfect one, still very much worthwhile. Genuine and expressive.

+1  Where can I sign the petition?  :)

Q

HIPster

Today's listening:

[asin]B000XHBECI[/asin]

[asin]B000GW8BA8[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Christo

Own five - out of a total ever of six - recordings of Bliss, A Colour Symphony (1922) to compare their relative virtues. Now playing the Handley (1987):

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Kontrapunctus

Dark, angsty but reasonably melodic music. Well played and recorded.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 13, 2019, 01:00:17 PM
Own five - out of a total ever of six - recordings of Bliss, A Colour Symphony (1922) to compare their relative virtues. Now playing the Handley (1987):

Excellent! The Groves is my favourite along with Bliss's own recording.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Kontrapunctus

Mind-blowing virtuosity and musicianship. Great sound, too.

André

Daverz

Bartok: Miraculous Mandarin

[asin]B00000E2QX[/asin]

Still blood curdling.

Que

Morning listening - another new Cinquecento arrival:

[asin]B00JM29Q9I[/asin]
Q

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 13, 2019, 02:39:57 PM
Excellent! The Groves is my favourite along with Bliss's own recording.
I have the Bliss (LSO, 1955), Groves (RPO, 1976), Handley (Ulster, 1987), Wordsworth (BBC Welsh SO, 1991), Lloyd-Jones (English Northern Ph, 1995) and only miss the Hickox (BBC NO Wales, 2006). Played the Wordsworth most often, but will return soon to the Groves I already knew in my younger years. The Handley was new to me (bougth at the Chandos sales): also one of the best, I think.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on June 13, 2019, 10:23:17 PM
I have the Bliss (LSO, 1955), Groves (RPO, 1976), Handley (Ulster, 1987), Wordsworth (BBC Welsh SO, 1991), Lloyd-Jones (English Northern Ph, 1995) and only miss the Hickox (BBC NO Wales, 2006). Played the Wordsworth most often, but will return soon to the Groves I already knew in my younger years. The Handley was new to me (bougth at the Chandos sales): also one of the best, I think.

Yes, I don't know of a bad recording of A Colour Symphony and enjoy them all. The Hickox which is, I think, the most recent, is very well recorded as well.

My first encounter with the work:

Nice early morning listening here:
The cover images aren't dissimilar.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on June 13, 2019, 01:32:51 PM
Dark, angsty but reasonably melodic music. Well played and recorded.

For a moment I thought the cover image was of Churchill.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Harry

New acquisition, first listen. CD 10.
Francois Couperin, Complete Works for Harpsichord.

Vingt-quatrieme Ordre, Vingt-cinquieme Ordre, Vingt-sixième Ordre, Vingt-septieme Ordre.

Olivier Baumont, plays on a Anthony Sidey Harpsichord, after Ruckers 1636 and Hemsch 1763.

This box with 10 CD'S was an absolute pleasure to listen to. The sound is great, the interpretation beyond reproach, well at least for me, and a set that allows you to experience all the fantastic colours Couperin wove into his music. Baumont never gets on your nerves with flashy playing, but has a well balanced attitude towards this music, rich in expression and beautiful harmonies. There are many excellent sets around, and this one should also be in your collection.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

listener

Friday is VIERNE's Day
Organ Symphony no.3 in f#, op. 25  and  no. 4 in g, op. 32
Günther Kaunzinger, organ at Waldsassen Basilica
Then KODALY Sonata for Solo Cello op. 9   BRIDGE: Sonata for Cello and Piano
Alexander Michajew, cello    Martin Jones, piano
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

vandermolen

Autumn Clouds over the Woods:
[asin][/asin]

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Christo on June 13, 2019, 01:00:17 PM

this is the point when whichever is the 6th version you are missing to say....."aaahh... but that's the best!" just to wind you up  ;) >:D

Traverso

Christo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on June 14, 2019, 02:17:24 AM
this is the point when whichever is the 6th version you are missing to say....."aaahh... but that's the best!" just to wind you up  ;) >:D
8) It is, and no, it isn't - as it is the Hickox from 2006.  ;D

Harry

New acquisition, Second listen. CD 4.

Shakespeare's Musick. Thomas Linley jr, Ode on the Witches and Fairies of Shakespeare.
Edition: Michael Pilkington.

Musicians of the Globe, Philip Pickett.
L'oiseau-Lyre 1995.

I repeat myself in heaping praise upon this set of 7 CD'S, but the truth cannot be denied. This is still the best in authentic performances to be had, and as for the recordings its perfectly done. Thomas Linley's jr take is one of great beauty and refinement.

Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."