What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2013, 02:17:21 PM
Now:

Listening to Don Quixote. An electrifying performance from Tortelier/Kempe/Staatskapelle Dresden.

Please keep us posted with your re-evaluation of Strauss in his individual composer thread! I'd be most interested to hear your comments. :) I haven't revisited Don Quixote yet.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 18, 2013, 02:43:20 PM
Please keep us posted with your re-evaluation of Strauss in his individual composer thread! I'd be most interested to hear your comments. :) I haven't revisited Don Quixote yet.

Well, this work, now that I'm re-listening to it after a few years or so, reveals what a madman not only Quixote was but Strauss as well! There is one section (I'll have to go back and find the name of it) that just completely comes apart at the seams. Utter craziness! I really do enjoy this work more this time around.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: kyjo on November 18, 2013, 02:43:20 PM

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2013, 02:51:32 PM
Well, this work, now that I'm re-listening to it after a few years or so, reveals what a madman not only Quixote was but Strauss as well! There is one section (I'll have to go back and find the name of it) that just completely comes apart at the seams. Utter craziness! I really do enjoy this work more this time around.

Quixote might be the epitome of Strauss' tone poem genius. The visuals created from the score, the storytelling, the individual voices, the sheep! All just perfect.
I think I'll join the party  8)

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2013, 02:51:32 PM

Yeah, many passages in Strauss' music simply burst apart at the seems with energy. Try Kempe's madcap performance of Till Eulenspeigel and you'll see what I mean!

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 18, 2013, 02:59:01 PM
Quixote might be the epitome of Strauss' tone poem genius. The visuals created from the score, the storytelling, the individual voices, the sheep! All just perfect.
I think I'll join the party  8)

Indeed, Greg. It's certainly a fine work no question about it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 18, 2013, 03:00:50 PM
Yeah, many passages in Strauss' music simply burst apart at the seems with energy. Try Kempe's madcap performance of Till Eulenspeigel and you'll see what I mean!

I'll have to listen to again at some point, Kyle. I think I'm going to listen to Joseph's Legend next. I remember enjoying this work when I first heard but I probably haven't even listened to it in 3 or 4 years.

listener

I don't often join in but I have the disc and score handy and can hear it live in a couple of weeks (Raphael Wallfisch on cello) so I'll abandon my usual non-conformist image...
R. STRAUSS   Don Quixote
Paul Tortelier, cello   Leonard Rubens as Sancho Panza on the viola
Royal Philharmonic O.,   Beecham, cond.
also on the disc: TCHAIKOWSKY:  Rococo Variations, FAURÉ: Élégie
DEBUSSY: Cello Sonata   and TORTELIER: Burlesque:Le Pître
short set of notes with this disc but it does give the Cervantes titles for each variation in Don Quixote.  The Kalmus score only labels the individual variations.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2013, 03:12:44 PM
I'll have to listen to again at some point, Kyle. I think I'm going to listen to Joseph's Legend next. I remember enjoying this work when I first heard but I probably haven't even listened to it in 3 or 4 years.

I listened to the Sinopoli recording of Josephslegende on DG a couple months ago, but my experience was marred by the obnoxious stage noises. I was so annoyed by them that I had to eject the CD. I simply couldn't stand it. I'll have to check out the Fischer recording on Channel Classics or the Jarvi on Chandos in hope that stage noises will be absent or at least less audible.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 18, 2013, 03:59:21 PM
I listened to the Sinopoli recording of Josephlegende on DG a couple months ago, but my experience was marred by the obnoxious stage noises. I was so annoyed by them that I had to eject the CD. I simply couldn't stand it. I'll have to check out the Fischer recording on Channel Classics in hope that stage noises will be absent or at least less audible.

I bought the Jarvi recording, so hopefully it's free of such distractions. It's a Chandos production, so I'm sure it is.

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2013, 04:01:04 PM
I bought the Jarvi recording, so hopefully it's free of such distractions. It's a Chandos production, so I'm sure it is.

I simply can't believe no reviews of the Sinopoli recording that I've read mentioned the bothersome stage noise! I'm experiencing the same frustrations with the Gergiev set of Rimsky operas. >:(

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 18, 2013, 04:03:09 PM
I simply can't believe no reviews of the Sinopoli recording that I've read mentioned the bothersome stage noise! I'm experiencing the same frustrations with the Gergiev set of Rimsky operas. >:(

I know what you mean, Kyle. I had the same experience with Barenboim's Ring cycle and, while the performances were simply top-notch, the stage noise kept me from enjoying the music completely. Thankfully, this stage noise doesn't plague his other Wagner recordings or at least to my knowledge.

BTW, have you at least heard The Ring once in your life?

Wakefield

Listening to the weekly Pergolesi's Stabat Mater:

Via Deezer.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mirror Image

Kyle, are you avoiding my question? :)

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2013, 04:50:29 PM
Kyle, are you avoiding my question? :)

;D

The only Ring in my collection is Karajan's, and I feel it's all I need. A magnificent achievement for all involved. I may not talk about Wagner that much but man, do I love his music!

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on November 18, 2013, 04:54:22 PM
;D

The only Ring in my collection is Karajan's, and I feel it's all I need. A magnificent achievement for all involved. I may not talk about Wagner that much but man, do I love his music!

Excellent! Karajan's is my favorite. I own five Ring cycles. Karajan and Solti are my two favorites while the rest are trailing very far behind (Janowski, Levine, and Barenboim). I'm probably going to get rid of them at some point. I only need the Karajan and Solti.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2013, 05:01:17 PM
Excellent! Karajan's is my favorite. I own five Ring cycles. Karajan and Solti are my two favorites while the rest are trailing very far behind (Janowski, Levine, and Barenboim). I'm probably going to get rid of them at some point. I only need the Karajan and Solti.

Hmm, I should get the Karajan Ring at some point.  I've always been mesmorized by the Solti Ring.

Mirror Image

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 18, 2013, 05:03:29 PM
Hmm, I should get the Karajan Ring at some point.  I've always been mesmorized by the Solti Ring.

Karajan certainly nailed this music, Ray. Magnificent performances.

I just couldn't take Strauss any longer! Now playing:

Listening to On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring. Speaking of being mesmerized. :)

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on November 18, 2013, 05:15:14 PM
I just couldn't take Strauss any longer! Now playing:

Listening to On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring. Speaking of being mesmerized. :)

Ah yes, Delius. The perfect antidote to Straussian bombast! I'll need to get that recording, because On Hearing.... hasn't worked its magic on me yet.

Brian

Quote from: kyjo on November 18, 2013, 05:55:56 PMThe perfect antidote to Straussian bombast!

...is arguably J.S. Bach or S.L. Weiss ;)

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on November 18, 2013, 06:02:13 PM
...is arguably J.S. Bach or S.L. Weiss ;)

Fortunately, there are indeed many antidotes.....