What are you listening to now?

Started by Dungeon Master, February 15, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Traverso on August 13, 2019, 03:43:08 AM
I'm glad you like it. :)

Like isn't strong enough.  I was actually wondering if I could get an original, high def copy of this cover photo to frame and put on my wall (without the printing).
It's all good...

Madiel

Quote from: Andy D. on August 13, 2019, 03:44:40 AM
I think the use of the at times quasi-kitsch melodies and arrangements point toward Mahler more than anything else in Shostakovich's works. I recall being stupidly put off the Symphonies at first for one reason because of reading a few people's derogatory remarks about the composer's undeniable-but-overestimated influence from Mahler. Shostakovich's wartime symphonies overall resolutely separated him from Mahler as an individual, uncompressedly expressive composer.

I came to Shostakovich before I ever knew anything about Mahler. So it took me a fair while to grasp the influence!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mandryka

Massive organ well enough recorded, massive baroque style interpretation of the trio sonatas, all very impressive of you have a sound system able to handle it. Now wondering whether to buy his disc of concertos and toccatas.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Traverso

Madiel

This is the only recording I can find of Bridge's Divertimenti for flute, oboe, clarinet and bassoon.

Which is a shame because this is excellent, quite charming stuff. 4 movements, with the 2nd Nocturne just for flute and oboe and the 3rd Scherzetto just for clarinet and bassoon.

I'm certainly glad I got a chance to hear it (via streaming).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

Night Ride and Sunrise

I think going through Sibelius' compositions chronologically, as I'm currently doing for the orchestral pieces, really brings home what a profoundly strange work this is. The 3rd symphony already did some unconventional things, but the next year there's both this tone poem and the 2 songs op.35 (one of those times Sibelius' opus numbers are out of whack), at least one of which I remember having a radical and sparse accompaniment.

And the 4th symphony is under development.

Biffo

Beethoven: Symphony No 6 in F major Pastoral - Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Herbert von Karajan (1963)

Traverso

Joseph Jongen

Just arrived........

Just another piece,not on the CD

https://www.youtube.com/v/kXB-qJ1p6qo

Harry

Quote from: Mandryka on August 13, 2019, 04:39:37 AM

Massive organ well enough recorded, massive baroque style interpretation of the trio sonatas, all very impressive of you have a sound system able to handle it. Now wondering whether to buy his disc of concertos and toccatas.

Just sounds like the disc my system loves. :laugh:
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

Harry

New arrival.

Benedetto Pallavicino.
Madrigali su testi dei Guarini.

Daltrocanto, Dario Tabbia.

Oi, oi, oi, this is very good. Right in my comfort zone.  Perfect singing, a tad astringent, like a wee dram from my favourite malt, Laphroaig 40 years old. A bit salty, and it bites you a little, just like this recording, would not have it any other way.
This ensemble brings all the right ingredients, matured their style, and made it highly accessible.
Recommended.

Mookalafalas

This is the 2nd volume of this set. If you love the oboe, baroque chamber music, and Bach, you will be delighted. Personally, I do, and am 8).
[asin]B0002TKGIA[/asin]
It's all good...

Harry

New arrival.

Sotto L'Imperio del Possente Prince.
Hommage music of the 14th & early 15th Century.

Music by:
Firenze, Bologna, Landini, Padova, Farragut, Ciconia & from the Codex Bologna, Codex Rossi, Codex Reina.

Ensemble Pelaro, Lorenza Donadini.

A CD that has lots to offer in this excellent presentation, and fine singing. A bare bones approach, but that suits the music well. No undue embellishments or technical boasting in whatever department. Pure and approachable singing. A journey through the 14th and early 15th century, what more fun could one wish for?

Traverso

Schnitke

String quartet No.4

Written for the Alban Berg Quartett

kyjo

Quote from: André on August 12, 2019, 05:50:26 PM

The composer's dates are 1876-1954.

Symphonies composed in 1904 and 1927, but the musical language and style hark back to a good 20-30 years before. Not that that's a bad thing, but coming from a danish composer 11 years younger than Nielsen, one might expect something more modern-sounding. 100% tonal, traditional stuff. Nothing about the 2nd symphony evokes the sea, even remotely. The notes tell us that the idiom is nordic-romantic with influences from Grieg and Svendsen (two norwegian composers born in the 1840s). I don't hear much Grieg, but the shadow of Svendsen looms large indeed. We also learn that Børresen loved the sea. He writes: The sea is the same as it was 50 years ago - the mighty horizon and the great painting of the sky. That pretty much sums it up - including the bit about the past being almost unchanged. Recommended for lovers of conservatively written late-romantic music.

The 2nd Symphony is a very enjoyable work with some delicious melodies.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Roasted Swan on August 13, 2019, 03:38:17 AM
There are links between Arnold and Shostakovich - both use what can seem like banal melodies to make serious points - particularly when harshly juxtaposed with passages of dissonance and strife.  Didn't know Edward Downes recorded any Arnold - are these off-air?  Downes was an undervalued conductor even towards the end of his life when Chandos used him for their Respighi and Gliere discs.....

+1 regarding the Arnold/Shostakovich connection. I can find Downes' recording of Arnold's 7th on YouTube but that's it...
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Schumann: Piano Sonata no. 1

[asin]B0000029UC[/asin]
Prompted by the recent discussion in the Schumann thread. Not being the biggest fan of solo piano music (especially pre-Brahms), I'm pleased to say that this sonata succeeded in keeping my interest, especially the dramatic, restless first movement. Perahia, as usual, gives a performance of innate musicality.

Nielsen: Helios Overture

[asin]B000M2DNQY[/asin]
A glorious evocation of the sun's journey over the course of the day, from sunrise to sunset.

Röntgen: Violin Concerto in A minor

[asin]B004R7WGPO[/asin]
Anyone who enjoys the Dvorak, Glazunov, Goldmark, or Karlowicz violin concerti should find much to love here. This is a warmly melodic and inspired work of which the highlight is the catchy, folksy finale which recalls the finale of Dvorak violin concerto in its syncopated exuberance. Liza Ferschtman plays it for all it's worth - really fantastic violin playing! I must seek out more recordings of hers. David Porcelijn and his Rheinland band give her spirited support.

Sallinen: String Quartet no. 3 Some Aspects of Peltoniemi Hintrik's Funeral March

[asin]B000005IXL[/asin]
This is probably one of the most "traditional" pieces the Kronos Quartet has recorded, but even it's not without some tasteful and effective "special effects" every once in a while. The affecting simplicity of the opening gives way to some ingenious development and the 14-minute piece is over before you know it. It's a refreshing change from some other string quartets written in the second half of the 20th century where the composer seems intent on drawing the most hideous sounds possible out of four string instruments (I won't name any names). ;)

Lloyd: Cello Concerto

[asin]B00005TQ69[/asin]
Written the year before Lloyd's death (1997), this is a melancholy, intensely lyrical work which has some more animated sections in the middle which recall some passages from his symphonies. I've never encountered cellist Anthony Ross before, but he makes a powerful impression here right from the commanding high F which opens the work.

Karl Henning

Quote from: aligreto on August 12, 2019, 08:20:36 AM
Mozart: Symphony 25 K 183 [Schroder/Hogwood]

The "Little" G minor symphony is a favourite of mine and I like this version.

Nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on August 13, 2019, 05:34:00 AM
Night Ride and Sunrise

I think going through Sibelius' compositions chronologically, as I'm currently doing for the orchestral pieces, really brings home what a profoundly strange work this is. The 3rd symphony already did some unconventional things, but the next year there's both this tone poem and the 2 songs op.35 (one of those times Sibelius' opus numbers are out of whack), at least one of which I remember having a radical and sparse accompaniment.

And the 4th symphony is under development.

Possibly my favorite among the tone-poems!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

More LvB Vn Sonatas.
Kremer & Argerich
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vers la flamme

Igor Stravinsky: Octet. JoAnn Falletta, Virginia Arts Festival Chamber Players. After reading Stravinsky's hilariously pretentious description of this piece in the book The Rest is Noise, I had to hear it again. This is a great recording and performance.