Author Topic: What are you listening to now?  (Read 12659869 times)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
Re: What are you listening to now?
« Reply #140720 on: August 23, 2019, 05:38:35 PM »

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #140721 on: August 23, 2019, 06:20:51 PM »
Does he play the incomplete final fugue? He doesn't seem to based on the track list.

There is a "14"--but it is played as a duet with two keyboards, so presumably is not the unfinished 14th.

TD

Hope this disk shapes up. First impression is Vivaldi-ultralight. 
It's all good...

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
    Bach and Beyond
« Reply #140722 on: August 23, 2019, 06:50:14 PM »

How is this recording, SimonNZ?  On my wishlist. . .

Now playing:

The prologue is a unique feature of early baroque opera: an opening scene where an allegorical figure enters the stage to prepare the audience for the musical drama to come. Thus Prologue is the musical introduction of Italian star soprano Francesca Aspromonte and her exclusive, long term engagement with Pentatone, promising great joy as well as drama in the years to come. Prologue is a highly original album consisting of several prologues from early-baroque operas by Monteverdi, Caccini, Cavalli, Landi, Rossi, Cesti, Stradella and Scarlatti. Strung together, they form a representation in a single act, a theatre full of small, complete dramas: the opera before the opera. Francesca Aspromonte is quickly establishing herself as a shining star in the Baroque firmament. She has curated this album together with musical director Enrico Onofri, who leads il pomo doro, one of the most important and successful period ensembles of today.

Fantastic recording!  Very well recorded.  :)
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #140723 on: August 23, 2019, 07:05:13 PM »
Yes it is really sad  to see that he is somewhat lost,it's sound a bit harsh to say, he is still is eccentric but it has lost it's magic  .

Well, this new release is colossally disappointing but not surprising given the alarming deterioration of his playing and interpretations over the past 20 years or so. Ugly banging and slow tempos, not to mention sub-par sound from Sony.

I’ve not heard the Rachmaninov but I thought the Beethoven op 54 was well worth a listen.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #140724 on: August 23, 2019, 07:31:41 PM »
Playing right now...

One of the symphonies I still need to know better, but... is it any wonder people (including Petrenko) consider it one of Shostakovich's greatest works? It's certainly hard to think of anything that captures his essence any better than this does.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #140725 on: August 23, 2019, 07:52:17 PM »
Let me say this about the recordings with the symphonies of Moyzes, first of all his music is highly original and let me say it, of great beauty. Furthermore there is nothing wrong with the performances or recordings, they are uniformly excellent. And I am listening on state of the Art equipment, so I should hear it if it were bad recordings, or even so so. And to wave away so easily the recordings of the Lajtha and Malipiero symphonies, has me in the curtains. With all due respect there is also absolutely nothing wrong with the sound and performances of these composers. We can argue whether you like the music or not, but not about the quality of the recordings for those are very good.  The light is most favourable on the Marco Polo labels, thank you!

Don't get me wrong, I always greatly appreciate the efforts of conductors, orchestras, and record labels to bring the music of lesser-known composers to light no matter what I may think of the performances themselves. But, to my ears, there is a certain amount of polish lacking in these recordings that might turn off potential listeners to Moyzes' music. For example, near the beginning of the finale of the 7th Symphony, there is some distinctly out-of-tune (to my ears!) playing by the violins of the Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra. Let me reiterate: I don't think these recordings are bad by any means, and they certainly are valuable. All I'm saying is that they could be improved upon.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mookalafalas

• Veteran member
    Telemann, Russian music and musicians, Piano sonatas
« Reply #140726 on: August 23, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »
Somewhat Schubertian Mozart. I like.

It's all good...

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140727 on: August 23, 2019, 10:15:15 PM »
The opening of the day had to with the Huelgas Ensemble:

Recorded way back, in December 2000...
I hope that Van Nevel's health keeps up for a few more years (he is now 73) - he still got it!  :)

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-8003/

Q

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #140728 on: August 23, 2019, 10:28:43 PM »
George Dyson: Violin concerto.

Trust I am not being too controversial when I say decent British violin concertos are not plentiful. Perhaps this is down to exposure.
Case in point the Dyson concerto of which I didn't know of its existence up to last week. Unusually in four movements and only slightly let down by the last, a work I enjoyed very much. Lewis Foreman writes of violin concertos composed around the same time, that of Walton, Bax, and Moeran. So Dyson shares good company, and in Foreman's view a company Dyson shares as an equal, a sentiment I very much agree. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #140729 on: August 23, 2019, 10:45:53 PM »
George Dyson: Violin concerto.

Trust I am not being too controversial when I say decent British violin concertos are not plentiful. Perhaps this is down to exposure.
Case in point the Dyson concerto of which I didn't know of its existence up to last week. Unusually in four movements and only slightly let down by the last, a work I enjoyed very much. Lewis Foreman writes of violin concertos composed around the same time, that of Walton, Bax, and Moeran. So Dyson shares good company, and in Foreman's view a company Dyson shares as an equal, a sentiment I very much agree.
Do you know the one by Alwyn Lol? I think that it is the most underrated of them all.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140730 on: August 23, 2019, 11:20:05 PM »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140731 on: August 23, 2019, 11:26:17 PM »
Now:

A reissue from Dacapo.

Enjoyable, but as our Brian points out in his Musicweb review, performance-wise the 1st volume with Emma Kirkby under Mortensen is significantly better.

Q
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 03:20:27 AM by Que »

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #140732 on: August 24, 2019, 12:00:17 AM »

Symphony no 9 just finished. In the last week I listened to nos 2, 4, 7, 8 and now 9.

Again a mixed batch, but overall a highly successful one.

It's been a while, but I remember hugely enjoying the playing of the SD in 6.   

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #140733 on: August 24, 2019, 12:07:51 AM »
How is this recording, SimonNZ?  On my wishlist. . .

Actually I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by that. Its respectfully done, and follows if not the letter of the HIP law then at least the spirit of it.

now:

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140734 on: August 24, 2019, 12:37:53 AM »
Out of the wrapping:

I don't take to individual singers easily, but Jaroussky is certainly one of them.  :)

Q

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #140735 on: August 24, 2019, 12:38:19 AM »
Federico Maria Sardelli.

Baroque Concertos, chamber music.
Domine as adjuvandum me, Psalm 69 for Soprano Strings & BC.

Modo Antiquo, Federico Maria Sardelli.
Giulia Nuti Harpsichord.
Roberta Mameli, Soprano.

I hope from the bottom of my heart that Sardelli keeps on writing Neo Baroque concertos in quantity and quality. For all I hear, he could have been born in that time.
His concertos, chamber music and vocal pieces are pristine in their conception. Music that keeps you on your toes, charms, dazzle and let you dream away softly. Just the right amount of emotion, and attention to detail, ornamented with exquisite taste, and performed in a galant style. It all makes sense that he reinstates the Baroque era as open for more innovation and connecting it with the 21th century with such fine results.
Roberta Mameli, is one of my favourite sopranos as she is doing very well in the Psalm 69. Almost no vibrato but enough intensified singing to make you gasp with admiration. And as a bonus at the end of the disc we get a suite for Harpsichord played by Giulia Nuti, tremendous and exciting.
Sound is State of the Art.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:40:10 AM by "Harry" »
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #140736 on: August 24, 2019, 12:39:10 AM »
Out of the wrapping:

I don't take to individual singers easily, but Jaroussky is certainly one of them.  :)

Q

Well I admire you for being able to stand his voice, I can't :)
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #140737 on: August 24, 2019, 01:07:15 AM »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140738 on: August 24, 2019, 01:17:04 AM »
Well I admire you for being able to stand his voice, I can't :)

The (dis)liking of a voice is rather personal and hard to predict.
I guess I got lucky,  I'm very picky with counter tenors.  :)

Repertoire that definitely interests me. Please, do tell!  :)

Q

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #140739 on: August 24, 2019, 01:22:02 AM »
Repertoire that definitely interests me. Please, do tell!  :)

I'm afraid I'm a little disappointed by this disc. I don't know the music in any other recording so I can't say if that's the fault of the performance or the works themselves. Either way: lifeless and unenthusiastic.

Go with that Montiverdi you were drooling over.  ;)